Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from Hampshire
I am new to all forums SUVs and LR cars. I (foolishly) have high hopes!

·
Registered
502 Posts
First-SUV,

What made you cancel and what made you come back to a DS? Just the long delivery time for a Q5?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Phil
It all started with a test drive for an A3 seven months ago...but you asked why I came back to the DS. A few days after I first ordered the DS I started reading this forum and started to seriously worry about build quality and so many gremlins. I know forum tend to be places to moan, so I checked out Q5 and other forums. There was so much less noise, especially when you consider how many Q5's are out there. So I cancelled. Also, my nearest RR dealer is 40 miles away and traipsing back for repairs was not going to happen.
So I ordered the Q5 and got a TBC built date of early December. The costs after discounts and extras are basically the same - head / heart trade off. Then I got a call - the build date maybe Feb, but wouldn't confirm until January. The Q5 is being replaced next year, so I would be buying a car just before the new model came out and waiting six months, for an unspecified delivery date.
By this time the DS forum had got a little less 'ugly' and I found out there was a RR service centre 6 miles away. So I ordered again. I am pleased it has turned out this way, and the reviews about the new engine have helped calm a few neves. We also looked at an X3. Nothing wrong with it (well the bench seat is more like park bench), but we didn't like it and just didn't smile once while driving; hated the steering and wind noise.
What did you consider before you settled on yours? And what made you chose the spec, gearbox and wheel size?
Cheers

·
Registered
502 Posts
First-SUV,

Some interesting points in there re. your decision-making process. I think those of us who have to use our own family's hard-earned money, rather than bagging a company car, have to think long and hard through the buying process. Initially, the wife and I were looking at an X5 - the option of 7 seats would be useful now our children are older and we can lug their friends about. However, we couldn't justify the cost.
We've had a great experience with our 5-series Touring and were planning on staying brand loyal. So, we shunted down to an X3. I was desperate to keep a 6-cylinder diesel as it has been a great engine in our 5. But, again an X3 30d MSport was too much. So, my heart wasn't in it so much for the 20d.
Not limiting ourselves to just BMW we popped into Lancaster Land Rover Reading and were immediately taken by their showroom DS HSE Luxury in Firenze Red. I knew there was a waiting list longer than the X3's and tried to get them to sell it to us there and then! They wouldn't budge as they know they can get someone to pay the full asking or more walking through the door later. We loved the flexibility of the seating and the DS's modern looks. No choice on the engine, obviously, too lazy to drive a manual in the family car. Auto all the way now I'm in my 40's. Didn't want all the toys of the HSE Luxury and couldn't afford the difference in price. Plus love the looks of the Black Pack and made sense to go for the HSE Black Edition. 20" Wheels come with the pack. I may be tempted to get a different set of winters, as I've got them on the Beemer, but hoping the DS might cope. Whereas, the Beemer was undriveable in just 1cm of snow on summers.
I looked at the Q5 - it's a well built car. I occasionally drive one at work. But, it is too car-like for me. Harder to butch-up, I know that's sad, unlike DS - Black Pack or X3 - MSport unless you can stretch to an SQ5! Also, considered Hyndai Santa Fe - lot of car for the money, but dull. New Volvo XC90 - lovely car, X5/RRSport money. Skoda Superb Estate, A6 Avants, BMW 3 & 5-series Touring all binned by the wife!
So much choice, so little cash! I'm still slightly hesitant about the DS, think it is the money commitment and lurking around on here. But, I'm hoping to be totally won over when it arrives. The more we see as a family, and the more I read about it, the more excited we are getting for Sept/Oct when it arrives.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.