Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

Just got my DS this week in Mauritius. Went for an SE version. Was disappointment that i didnt got for the Xenon light.

I amtrying to find out whether i can upgrade from Halogene headlights to Xenon lights in the near future. I have asked the land rover dealer and they seems to indicate it is non possible but will still check.

Do let me know for any advise

Thx

·
Registered
741 Posts
No it will not be possible due to the self levelling requirments.

If you want Xenon's then you will need to go down the aftermarket kit line (I did this in my Merc SLK) which indeed works very well as I styed OEM (4300K) and I have projector heeadlights so have sharp cut off etc. With the DS if you order halogen lights then the headlamp unit is reflector and not a projector so you will need to make sure any kit you get is for a reflector and not a projector so as not to casue undue glare for on coming traffic.

Alternatively you could buy a set of xenon headlamp units (minus all the ballast/bulbs etc) when the first few crashed comes come on the market (on fleebay) and then fit an aftermarket kit inot those units to maintain sharp cut off etc.

Health warning (I'll say it before anyone else does): either way is technically illegal and not to be encouraged :ugeek:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Just be aware that I believe Xenons need to have washers and if they are not there or don't work it will fail the new MOT in the UK. Not impossible but just makes it a little harder!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re 'Alternatively you could buy a set of xenon headlamp units (minus all the ballast/bulbs etc) ' how does that work? Will i still get the circle led light? What currently annoys me with the halogene is u can see the ugly bulb

·
Registered
95 Posts
I think what BFGDSMan was saying is get yourself a set of Xenon headlights but don't go through the trouble of installing the factory peripherals like self levelling sensors and washers. Instead just drop in an aftermarket bulb kit which should be a lot cheaper. You will then have the look you want including the LED circle and projector lens.

VW does Xenon without washers now. They are 25 watt units which (in the EU) do not require self levelling or washers as they produce less the 2000 lumens of light. See Beetle and Audi A1.

Martin

·
Registered
741 Posts
Disco Oldenburg said:
VW does Xenon without washers now. They are 25 watt units which (in the EU) do not require self levelling or washers as they produce less the 2000 lumens of light. See Beetle and Audi A1.

Martin
Xenon lite :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
130 Posts
BFGDSMan said:
Disco Oldenburg said:

Martin
Xenon lite :lol: :lol: :lol:
Like that, an evil sense of humour :lol:

·
Registered
741 Posts
Thanks!

I need to check that out. It would make sense of a recent configuration I did for an Audi A6 where headlamp washers were an extra with xenons...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thx for the advise that exactly what i was looking for. I dont need the washer or the adaptive/ sensor headlights. Will need to get someone in mauritius to do the work.

Thx again!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yes, nice one!!
Xenon extremely light and pretty much a rip-off. You can get there with a set of decent halogen bulbs too.
They only do 2000 lumens as opposed to 3000 lumens for 35W proper Xenons.
Martin

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.