Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All

Anybody had any quotes in the UK for car Insurance on the DS?

Last time I looked a few of the comparison websites didn't even have the DS listed, just wondered if anybody had come across any cheap deals?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
My insurance company gave me a quote slightly cheaper than my out going D3, which considering the DS is 8 years newer and hence worth more I did think was too bad.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Lifesure, used then for years, although I will give Lancaster a call as the Owners Club gets a discount, and the NFU are good if you intend to use the vehicle off road, fit winches etc ( can't imagine any one with a DS doing the that just yet)

·
Registered
17 Posts
My insurance company gave me a higher quote for a DS fitted with keyless entry. Wanted full details of all exterior options on the car too. I've not ordered yet so specced the black pack wheels for the quote. Keyless entry premium was loaded by an increase of £132. What's that all about ?

·
Registered
381 Posts
I've added inControl secure to my car order, it should lower the premium and gives some peace of mind. Besides my insurance company states any car over £40k needs a tracker fitted.

I guess the keyless entry problem is linked to the thefts of many Range Rovers due to hacking of the entry and keyless system.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
There has been a lot of keyless entry vehicles stolen, either the low life record you key as you open / lock it or they record your key when it's in the house and rebroadcast it.
It seem all vehicle manufacturers have to tell none franchised garages how to program a new key ( I guess it some law from Brussels) any way the lowlife gets this and once in the car using the system above and the OBD2 port reprograme the car with a new key in a matter of seconds and drive your pride and joy away.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Moose is correct, EU anti monopoly rules insist that car manufacturers share details about the inner workings of their cars (service manuals, electrical schematics etc) to non franchised dealers/service centres. Thats why you can buy access to the documents via Land Rover's topix service.
Unfortunately, this also gives the thieves all the details they need regarding the security (or lack thereof) of the cars locking/ignition systems. They then knock up the necessary electronic gizmo, intercept the radio signal from your key, replaying this code when you are out of sight, gaining access to the ODB-II port behind the dash with a laptop and driving off with your car.
http://www.driving.co.uk/news/no-car-is-safe-how-hi-tech-thieves-are-defeating-sophisticated-security-systems/

NOw, I'm seriously considering the DS in HSE trim, keyless as standard, I would opt to have the feature deleted when placing the order (although I suspect you can't)
The only reliable remedy I've seen is a blast from the past, some 90's car security tech... A crookloc on the steering wheel and possibly a lock on the ODB-II port also.
LR, need to fix this asap.

Bobby

PS
first post, so Hi everyone :)

·
Registered
163 Posts
I got a quote from my broker here in Canada for a new Evoque (they consider them the same as a DS, same engine, price bracket, foreign manufacturer etc) vs my outgoing 9 year old A3. The price was within $20, considering 12mths car insurance here is $2000 (only one insurer that is govt run aka a monopoly) I consider the $20 difference nothing.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
The unit is made for the entry system and not for the model, so as long as it is the same as the other vehicles, Evoque, RRS etc then it will work.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I'm with Aviva, no special requirements. DS is on their system, same price to insure as my FL2.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.