Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi all,

Just nosing around the LR website and started to read the following,

http://www.landrover.co.uk/ownership/euro-6-emissions-standards.html

It answered a few questions about AdBlue, how it monitors usage (1L/1000miles - depending on the weight of your right foot I expect) and what to do to refill. What it doesn't do, however, is tell you how big the DS tank is. It gives a range of capacities 9 litres to 17 litres across the LR range. Anyone any idea?

Just waiting now for next month, DS HSE will be born w/e 18th Sept with a delivery date to dealer of 19th (ordered 15th May)

·
Banned
600 Posts
be aware adblue freezes at -11C , the car will have a heating system to thaw it our as your journey starts. also the adblue pump will purge the lines on stopping so only the tank will freeze. in theory!

·
Registered
677 Posts
We've run our buses with AdBlue since 2007 and alls been well. My new Disco will have AdBlue so we will see if it's as plain sailing.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Freeloader said:
Hi all,

It answered a few questions about AdBlue, how it monitors usage (1L/1000miles - depending on the weight of your right foot I expect) and what to do to refill. What it doesn't do, however, is tell you how big the DS tank is. It gives a range of capacities 9 litres to 17 litres across the LR range. Anyone any idea?

Just waiting now for next month, DS HSE will be born w/e 18th Sept with a delivery date to dealer of 19th (ordered 15th May)
There is an 11 litre difference between the fuel tank capacities of the MY2015 and MY2016 vehicles.

So 11 ish litres for AdBlue? I thought the tank now has two compartments (fuel and adblue) or perhaps the physical fuel tank is now smaller and the adblue occupies the remaining space in a separate tank? I did look at the user manual on line for MY2016 and the AdBlue filler cap is located in the engine bay. I thought the fuel tank was at the rear of the vehicle? so either it has a long way to travel to the adblue tank or its in a different location....

BB

·
Registered
677 Posts
AdBlue and fuel are in two separate tanks. AdBlue doesn't mix with the fuel but a fine spray is injected into the exhaust system. Breaks down the NoX and turns it into Nitrogen and water.

The D4 has both tanks side by side, some manufacturers have it in the boot.

When we start our buses up on a cold morning, they are like steam trains with all the moisture coming from the exhaust.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Freeloader said:
Hi all,

The LR rep in the corresponding sub-forum told us regarding the adblue tank....
On the 16MY Discovery Sport with a Diesel Engine, the capacity is 13.7 litres.

·
Registered
502 Posts
The other interesting thing I noted from the website was:

There two ways that the DEF levels in your vehicle can be fully replenished outside of service intervals:

- For the convenience of customers, our Land Rover Service Plans include free DEF top-ups between service cycles at our approved service centres. Simply call [insert number]

- Alternatively, you can arrange a top-up at a service centre for a fee. Find your nearest service centre here: http://www.landrover.co.uk/national-dealer-locator.html
As a few of us had been wondering whether it would include AdBlue top-ups within the Service Plans out of the two year/21k mileage of the engine. Sounds like it definitely does!

·
Registered
502 Posts
Unless I've missed another thread, I was confused by Pete's reply to the AdBlue question:

Hi,

The Plans include Adblue top up at the time of servicing.

The time / mileage quoted is to advise the duration / expiry of the plan. However, for servicing I would advise following your vehicles service schedule, which in the case of the 16MY Discovery Sport with Ingenium engine is every 34,000 km/21,000 miles or 24 months (whichever occurs first).

Many thanks,
Pete
The above suggests that it had to be topped up within the servicing schedule. While it is likely to need it prior to a service due to the capacity of the AdBlue tank. This is confirmed on the LR website as free AdBlue top-ups as and when required with the service plan.

Apologies if I've misunderstood this or missed it elsewhere.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Will only need topping up if you do high mileage, somewhere in one of Petes posts it tells you how much it uses.
For most people will only need topping up at yearly service.

·
Registered
211 Posts
philn said:
Will only need topping up if you do high mileage, somewhere in one of Petes posts it tells you how much it uses.
I think the issue here is that those of us getting the new engine will be on a 2 year servicing cycle - hence we'll most likely need an Ad Blue top-up in between servicing periods....

·
Banned
600 Posts
you can buy adblue at many garages now, and just top up yourself (and the car)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi,

Just need to make sure it is of the correct specification, as per LR website

If DEF levels are critically low, you can also take direct action and top up yourself, to allow time to schedule a professional replenishment.

- You will need two JLR-approved AdBlue™ refill bottles. These can be purchased from JLR Retailers and come with a unique splash guard filler to aid easy refills. You can purchase AdBlue™ from independent auto shops. Please ensure the standard you buy is ISO 22241-1 or DIN 70070.

- DEF can be stored securely on board the vehicle between temperatures of -11°C and 25°C.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
BlameTheParents said:
philn said:
I think the issue here is that those of us getting the new engine will be on a 2 year servicing cycle - hence we'll most likely need an Ad Blue top-up in between servicing periods....
Didn't realise that, yes could need topping up.

Do you know when your car is due, you have been on the forum for a long time and would have thought you would have an ETA by now.

·
Registered
211 Posts
philn said:
Do you know when your car is due, you have been on the forum for a long time and would have thought you would have an ETA by now.
Hi, yes - ordered at the end of April ... just as the 2.2 engine orders were discontinued and Ingenium was being lined up for September. Wasn't originally in a rush but now getting itchy.

I was close to cancelling at one point, after some of the noise on this forum and a crisis of confidence on spending hard earned cash on something potentially less reliable than current car. But now firmly back on board. Had never considered LR before, RR/RRS way out of my price bracket and had never been a fan of the FL shape. Evoque too small with my growing brood. Can barely fit all the holiday/camping gear in the S-MAX ....but the DS hit all my buttons from seeing the first models on the road in April.

ETA late Sept but dealer is vague. ALMOST decided on spec, HSE Black Edition, Corris + Cirrus plus some other bits still tbd.......should really update my sig.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
BlameTheParents said:
philn said:
I was close to cancelling at one point, after some of the noise on this forum and a crisis of confidence on spending h
Hi, yes - ordered at the end of April ... just as the 2.2 engine orders were discontinued and Ingenium was being lined up for September. Wasn't originally in a rush but now getting itchy.

ard earned cash on something potentially less reliable than current car. But now firmly back on board. Had never considered LR before, RR/RRS way out of my price bracket and had never been a fan of the FL shape. Evoque too small with my growing brood. Can barely fit all the holiday/camping gear in the S-MAX ....but the DS hit all my buttons from seeing the first models on the road in April.

ETA late Sept but dealer is vague. ALMOST decided on spec, HSE Black Edition, Corris + Cirrus plus some other bits still tbd.......should really update my sig.
Good to hear you have an ETA but surprised they are being vague, would also have thought by now that the SPEC would have been locked in, if end of Sept is correct the car will be built in 3 weeks time.
My first LR, apart from their treatment of customers happy that I took the plunge, my dealers have been really good and informative.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.