Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
InControl has me confused and I confess not having discussed with my dealer.

There appear to be 4 variants:

Remote
Secure
Apps
WiFi

Only Secure, Apps and WiFi is available on the config, not Remote. However, Remote seems to be the bit that comes with the SOS and Assist buttons in the overhead, and I've seen those in a Lux. What's that about. Does it mean I cannot spec Remote on an HSE?

I understand Secure, its a vehicle tracker.

Apps I get, basically a suite of Apps that you may or may not like. Sure to be added to but who knows whether they will be any good.

And WiFi I understand allows a SIM data card to be put in the vehicle giving a WiFi hotspot. Basically repeating what I could do with my phone in any case.

So Remote sounds nice but how do you spec it, or does it just come when you spec any of Secure, Apps or WiFi?

Information gleaned from here http://www.landrover.co.uk/ownership/incontrol-and-bluetooth/faqs.html

basically as a tech lover I don't really want to get a year in and find they have released something for InControl that I cannot have - but which factory option is appropriate - WiFi is £300 and Apps is £350.

Confused. :?

·
Registered
179 Posts
My understanding is that Remote comes with all models as default. If you look at the options lists, its there as standard, and the others are there if you opt to pay (they are all - including the apps option - factory install options I am told; why, I have no idea!).

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm sure you get it as standard. Go to the App Store and download it. (Landrover in control remote). There's a demo on there which gives you an idea of what it does.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The app is free but I could not find it direct from apples App Store but was able to download via Land Rovers website

·
Registered
381 Posts
My understanding is InControl Remote comes as standard on all models, all the other variants are extra.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Remote is on all models, the dealer should configure it for you before pick up so it works.
As mentioned above the others are all factory fit, although my guess is the app is a down load where as the other two need hardware installing.
I have gone for the tracker ( secure) and the App, which only works with OS6 and newer which means for Apple users iPhone 4s or newer.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all - I should pay more attention to the standard spec.

So all cars come with Remote. Does that include the Land Rover Assist and SOS buttons in the overhead panel? Now I'm wondering how this works. There has to be a call and data connection from the car irrespective of whether there is a phone in the car. Which begs the question why Apps is an option and why a separate SIM is required for WiFi.

·
Registered
381 Posts
You do also get the SOS and Land Rover Assist buttons fitted as standard. As you say the car must contain something built in a SIM or otherwise to obtain a mobile connection. It would also use this connection to send information from the car to Land Rovers servers which you then can access with the InControl Remote app.

I asked the dealers about this connection and they assured me you don't need to supply your own SIM. When I asked one dealer how it worked he told me it was via GPS, I told him this was rubbish as GPS was a positioning system and not for data exchange, he then said "it was magic" the dealers are useless as this sort of information.

I have tried to find out via the Internet more information but came up blank, questions like which mobile providers network do Land Rover use?

·
Registered
230 Posts
"it was magic" !!

·
Registered
381 Posts
This sentence is taken from the Land Rover website

"The SOS Emergency Call uses a separate system with a dedicated SIM card embedded within the vehicle"

·
Registered
76 Posts
One thing i have wondered about InControl, I've used the app in 'demo mode' and it allows you to view past journeys and where you parked it. Surely this is a basic form of a tracker? Albeit a bit less accurate.
Admittedly, I don't fully understand the full features of a tracker but if the car was nicked, surely the InControl Remote would be enough to locate it if it was within mobile signal range (i assume this is where a 'proper' tracker comes in).

·
Registered
677 Posts
In theory you would be able to locate the car using IC remote.

I didn't spec any of the other InControl features on my one. Anybody spec the wifi, I thought that was a bit steep £300. BMW only charge £95 for in car internet.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I thought the WiFi cost was steep for what is basically a GSM receiver and a sim card, which presumably you need a separate contract for anyway
Why do you need it anyway, most mobiles can access data unless you are going to let the kids use it for there laptops whilst on route, then I would be concerned over signal strength. - each to there own.

·
Registered
381 Posts
The inControl Wifi doesn't even provide 4G connection and you have to provide your own SIM card with data contract, you would be better to get your own stand alone mifi unit to use.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I didn't spec it, I was just wondering if anyone has and why.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Discoloz said:

"The SOS Emergency Call uses a separate system with a dedicated SIM card embedded within the vehicle"
Thanks - I was beginning to think it was powered by fairy dust

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Lofi said:
Discoloz said:

Thanks - I was beginning to think it was powered by fairy dust
I would probably have more faith in fairy dust. :D

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I have down loaded the app this afternoon, If I had this In Control feature on our company cars I bet it would make interesting reading, no rep would be able to slope off early on a Friday afternoon to cut the grass or play a swift 9 holes on a Thursdays afternoon. you can see where they have been, and when and how efficiently they drove. :twisted:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi we've Just ordered a MY16 Discovery Sport SE Tech, is InControl Remote included as standard or do I need to add it as an extra?
It seems from some earlier posts that it is included on all models, if it is standard what features are available?

TIA

Mark

·
Registered
88 Posts
I've just looked on Topix for the spec for my car and the following are listed

InControl Apps
STOLEN VEHICLE TRACKER

As this is a preowned vehicle I'm unsure what's standard and what's added. So 2 questions really, are these standard on the HSE (2015) and if not is there additional cost to use them, particularly the stolen vehicle tracker.

Thanks

P

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.