Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just seen a post about this, can someone tell me if it is fitted as standard, or something that has to be ordered at time of original order?

Thanks

·
Registered
381 Posts
It is not fitted as standard you have to have it fitted as an option. It has to be factory fitted and therefore can't be retro installed to the car.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, is this what they call the tracker then or is that something else too?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Yes, InControl Secure is a tracker which is Thatcham category 6 approved.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discoloz said:
It is not fitted as standard you have to have it fitted as an option. It has to be factory fitted and therefore can't be retro installed to the car.
I originally thought the same, and I am fully prepeared to be corrected, however, my car is a standard UK HSE and my Topix print says "Stolen Vehicle Tracker". Since I have not paid for In-Secure (I don't want any of the In-Control rubbish but that's a different thread) would seem to imply that the hardware is in the car as part of the big brother In-Control tracking features so the car knows where you've crashed it when the AEB doesn't work/broken down due to poor build quality :?: :?: so a bit confused.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I am sure the hardware/software is embedded in the appropriate ECU, however, unless you chuck in the £500 or so for the tracker service then there is no tracker, someone knows where your vehicle is at all times due to the nature of the in control etc, but they won't help in a stolen situation unless a 'fee' has been paid ;)

·
Registered
741 Posts
Although I suppose in theory, if your car was stolen you could find it's location via In Control App free of charge and let the police know wher it was, but they wouldn't be able ot track it in real time as they would with the full tracker service?

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
BFGDSMan said:
Although I suppose in theory, if your car was stolen you could find it's location via In Control App free of charge and let the police know wher it was, but they wouldn't be able ot track it in real time as they would with the full tracker service?
The in control only tells you where it was last parked up and locked, so you would have to wait for the tea leafs to do that before you found it.
I asked if the tracker could be retro fitted and was told it could not be dealer fitted, but had to be done in the factory, so I had it added their. No doubt the software is there or could be downloaded, but if it was just that the dealer could do it. I was told there is an additional module hidden somewhere which is continually powered up.

When i had the battery changed by LR assist I forgot to let the security people know, and within a minute of the battery coming out (the new one had not even gone in) they rang me and asked if they was a problem, they knew the car was at my home address and that since the battery had been disconnected the vehicle had not moved.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.