Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some might know from earlier posts of mine, I've had to delay my purchasing decision due to surgery.

Good news is that I should now be fit to drive again in 2 - 3 months so am close to placing an order.

Without doubt the best looking SUV on the road right now is the the Disco Sport. So here is my dilemma:

1. Would prefer petrol to diesel but only Audi Q5 offers that option, and is about to be updated for new model.

2. Design: Hate the X3 shape so that has been red-carded, leaving Disco Sport, Q5 & Merc GLC on shortlist - all Asian and Ford Edge now discounted.

3. No need for 7 seats, so all my shortlist of Q5, Merc GLC and Disco Sport are still in play.

4. Quality: seems like JLR have a bit of catching up to do here, but not enough for a red card with the new engine and, hopefully, quality improvements on MY16 car.

5. Residuals: Current Q5 likely to take a hammering due to new model - at least a yellow card if not red.

So, I'm down to Disco Sport v Merc GLC.

I'm currently 55/45 in favour of the Merc due to build quality, proven engine and layout from C Class, Air Suspension as an option and good level of safety systems and other standard kit. A high spec GLC is about the same price as a loaded Disco Sport HSE Lux.

Can anybody further persuade me to go for the DS - I'd really like to go back to JLR but the competition is awesome right now.

Many thanks.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Yes - Mercedes build quality is lacking.
The new C class is full of electronic glitches.
I bought a brand new C Class estate in October 2014 (C220cdi bluetec auto AMG line premium pack)...
The glass roof finishing panel was poorly bonded and misaligned from new, loads of electrical glitches saying bulb out when in fact was working, the car would unlock itself randomly and the sat nav system was useless.
By comparison, I've not had any issue with my Disco Sport so far, and my precious RR Evoque's felt extremely well built, and never provided a days problem.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Auto express gave GLC 3 stars which is unusual for a new mercedes, DS scored 4 stars with present engine but they drove the DS with ingenium a couple of weeks ago and gave it 5 stars which is a rarity.

·
Registered
163 Posts
If you go off road, snow, mud, gravel, etc. disco sport. If you cruise waitrose car parks, merc.

$0.02

·
Registered
82 Posts
Is there a reason you favour petrol over diesel? Given how quiet and smooth the Ingenium engine is reported to be, the days of "smelly, rattly, oil-burning diesels" are long gone. Plus better MPG etc. Don't let fuel choice put you off.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I had a 2011 C Class Estate, the build quality is far superior to the DS, everything feels more solid and less flimsy, the doors sound more solid when closed, buttons and switches are fitted better, and are not cheap plastic looking and feel.
The sat nav is the best I have ever used, in comparison the DS is pretty basic, but it still gets you from A to B.
The Merc Auto box is great on long runs, around cruising speed, and sport is very responsive, but around town it is rubbish, it rarely knows what gear to select, so the lag when trying to nip into moving traffic is bordering on dangerous.
Best advise would be to get an extended test on both, on your own (no sales guys) and try and see what you can live with the best, as both have good and bad points.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I would say the 2011 c class was better than the current model (C class) - I would say the DS is a much better built car than the latest C class, having owned both.

·
Registered
193 Posts
82TLT said:
I would say the 2011 c class was better than the current model (C class) - I would say the DS is a much better built car than the latest C class, having owned both.
I have heard a lot of people say that about the C Class. You would think that the latest model would always be better than the one it replaces, but that doesn't seem to be the case, the problem with the DS is I am not sure that some of the fixings will last the test of time, there is no doubt the main construction is solid build quality, but they have let it down with flimsy bits, for example, the window buttons don't fit solid in the door panels, so when you lift the buttons the housing lifts slightly as well, the rear blind is so thin it often jams and folds when pulling out, the carpets aren't fixed very well, the doors sound a bit tinny when closed, the tail gate retains water, and dumps it on your head when opened, the washer filler fixing feels like is going to break when you push the lid back on, all just little annoying things, but not want you would expect on a premium brand car.

·
Registered
226 Posts
adam.d.lloyd said:
If you go off road, snow, mud, gravel, etc. disco sport. If you cruise waitrose car parks, merc.

$0.02
Virtually every review of the merc I've read compares it as least as capable as the the DS for off-road.

Might be best keeping the GLC talk in the off-topic thread set up for it.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I haven't noticed many of those issues on my DS, however, water coming from the tailgate is annoying.
I think metal used on cars is so much thinner these days that it purely serves as architectural design, rather than any form of robustness.
I remember washing my C class and seeing the rear quarter panels move with very light pressure - this on Merc??!
I learnt to drive in a Morris Minor (I'm only 33), and despite it being a fairly basic car it had a real feel of quality, durability and sense of solid purpose to it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.