Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After some soul searching I've decided to cancel the black pack and revert to a standard HSE auto. Logic being:

- Drove the 20" wheels subsequent to ordering and found the ride noticably worse than my initial test drive on 19's as well as my current Ford (running on 18" 235/45R18 with sports suspension). ie quite harsh. Firm seats in DS don't help
- MY16 black edition comes with black front and back undershields instead of the metallic silver coloured on previous black pack. Some people like this (I'm in a minority); I agree it looks good on black or white cars but on Corris grey just makes it look too much like a crossover and not a SUV.
- I can save a few quid and get side steps instead (something else that doesn't quite work with the black pack IMHO).
- SWMBO was having kittens about kerbing the black alloys

Oh and at 43 years of age I should grow up and forget about getting downwiv da kids.....

Just waiting for my dealer to come back and tell me I have already gone past my build lock in date !

View attachment 25
View attachment 25

Attachments

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Having had a loan-er for a week with the bigger wheels, I agree. Handling is *slightly* better, but the ride is much rougher, and the handling is more tahn good enough with the smaller wheels. I'll be glad to get mine back

·
Registered
172 Posts
If as your signature you are looking at a delivery date this month, then yes you are past the lock down date. It is around 5 to 6 weeks before build, which is about 2 weeks before delivery.

·
Registered
36 Posts
hmm, agree with OP on the undershields, going for corris with black pack too and think the silver (with sidesteps) provide a really nice balance, also think the black makes it look a little wimpy from the front.

So it's a pretty big change in the look, I'd be pretty unhappy having ordered one thing and something else turning up (unless I had white or black :) ), seeing dealer Monday morning anyway and 2 weeks to go till lock-down so will raise this as an issue for me.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Oh, I am in a quandary now! I thought the change to MY16 Black Pack undertray/valance was going to be in a glossy black similar to the grille and mirror cowlings. But, the colour-coding to the rest of the lower bumper assembly makes it look as if it is bottom spec basic plastic. Looks like I will still have to get it wrapped/coloured.

Ricky74 posted this link:

Rickyk74 said:

I think the change is going to be colour-sensitive. It works on this all black model and I'm thinking it might be ok on white. But, on the DS above, I agree with BlameTheParents that it looks like a cross-over or worse a bog standard spec. Before anyone with an SE goes mad, I'm talking old school Fiesta Poplar-level, not any DS spec! I will be interested to see how it works on Firenze Red. Anyone with MY16 Black Pack Spec on Firenze yet who can put up some piccies, please?

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Would think it will work well with Firenze, I have the fixed towbar which has a black cover at back which look better that silver one at front. Happy to swap my silver front cover for black one if anyone wants to.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I think it works well on the all black model - so I will be happy, but I agree that it may not work on other colours, particularly the grey/silver colour cars as the silver under trays may actually compliment these cars! Personal choice though I guess.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have a my2016 HSE BLACK ED on order in Corris Grey and agree the rear bumper looks better in grey as opposed to an all black version. I note the configurator on the LR website still shows grey valances when you "build" a car. Do you think it's feasible to kick up a fuss with the dealer over this? Mine goes into build on 11/09.

·
Registered
36 Posts
agreed, it's all about personal prefs and lets face it when specifying the black pack it's all about the looks i.e no functional changes. going for corris grey as I'm lazy when it comes to cleaning, but not liking the look of that black on the OP pictures and not sure that will look good on corris especially with sideboards.

I did however notice that on the accessories video
at 33sec in it shows the stainless undershield on a black surround instead of silver, looks pretty good as that's the colour combo I'm going for (assuming that's corris grey in the video), so that's an option albeit more cash to get the look I thought I was getting in the first place :-(

·
Registered
36 Posts
Adam823311 said:
I have a my2016 HSE BLACK ED on order in Corris Grey and agree the rear bumper looks better in grey as opposed to an all black version. I note the configurator on the LR website still shows grey valances when you "build" a car. Do you think it's feasible to kick up a fuss with the dealer over this? Mine goes into build on 11/09.
Totally, I would/will be. I appreciate the small print on the order (section 11.3 on mine) which says they can make minor mods without notice, but would argue this isn't a minor detail and changes the look of the car quite significantly from what was ordered. Good for some not for others, but really the car should not look fundamentally different from what you ordered without notice.

I'm seeing my dealer Monday for another test drive and will raise this with him and report back.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello all, I've had my discovery sport on order since May build date 16th October only got that today after many phone calls e-mails etc, I phoned my dealer this morning to discuss a few issues and one was the black pack asking if it's now standard that front and rear under shield is black now instead of the silver before, I've ordered vehicle in white and much prefer the silver to the black as it looks cheap to me, I asked if I could take black pack off now but said my lock down date has passed? Really not sure if I'm happy about that as its 6 weeks away before build date

·
Registered
54 Posts
Waiting for a call back from my dealer. I find it ridiculous that the dealer is not proactive enough to inform customers as opposed to the other way around. I have also emailed Land Rover. May be worth doing the same.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Maybe it should be an option as there was a thread on here for a while, and many opinions were, that the silver should be black, now this thread is the reverse of that one. I guess LR will never win unless it's an option, but I guess the designers have to make a decision or where would it end? Imagine the hassle if the options list was endless..... :roll:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Don't think the change itself is an issue, i.e black pack getting more black. It's the fact that people will have cars being delivered that look different to what they ordered, without being consulted.

shame they didn't sort the pedestrian airbag cover.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Those Stainless under shield apart from being expensive are only held on with double sided tape, I have heard elsewhere about one falling off.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Moose said:
Those Stainless under shield apart from being expensive are only held on with double sided tape, I have heard elsewhere about one falling off.
:shock: better get a tube of no nails as well. is there a link to the installation instructions anywhere?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.