Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car has suddenly developed an annoying squeak which seems to be coming from the tailgate area, and happens every time I go over any sort of bump or seemingly when the body twists slightly; so even happens when I’m reversing very slowly onto my driveway. I’ve had a push and pull around from within the boot and have checked for anything loose (or things in the boot which might be causing it) but I can’t find anything. I can’t get it to happen when I manually rock the car from side to side by hand so it’s difficult for me to pin point exactly where it’s coming from. It sounds like a rubber on rubber type of noise.

If I can‘t find what is causing it, and put some silicone spray on to help then I’ll need to book it in with a dealer. Does anyone have experience with how reactive they are with things like this?

Or has anyone had a similar noise and got any suggestions to fix?

·
Registered
P250 HSE MY21
27 Posts
My car has suddenly developed an annoying squeak which seems to be coming from the tailgate area, and happens every time I go over any sort of bump or seemingly when the body twists slightly; so even happens when I’m reversing very slowly onto my driveway. I’ve had a push and pull around from within the boot and have checked for anything loose (or things in the boot which might be causing it) but I can’t find anything. I can’t get it to happen when I manually rock the car from side to side by hand so it’s difficult for me to pin point exactly where it’s coming from. It sounds like a rubber on rubber type of noise.

If I can‘t find what is causing it, and put some silicone spray on to help then I’ll need to book it in with a dealer. Does anyone have experience with how reactive they are with things like this?

Or has anyone had a similar noise and got any suggestions to fix?
I had something similar when mine was a couple of months old. I tracked it down to the area around one of the light clusters in the tailgate (open the tailgate and, from the side, hold the edge of the windscreen still with one hand and with your other hand gently flex the bottom of the tailgate and see if you get the squeak). If that's your problem too the dealers should be able to cure it fairly quickly with some form of low friction tape around the light fitting.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had something similar when mine was a couple of months old. I tracked it down to the area around one of the light clusters in the tailgate (open the tailgate and, from the side, hold the edge of the windscreen still with one hand and with your other hand gently flex the bottom of the tailgate and see if you get the squeak). If that's your problem too the dealers should be able to cure it fairly quickly with some form of low friction tape around the light fitting.
Thanks, I’ll give that a try. (y)

·
Administrator
2016 DS HSE Auto Gas/petrol
705 Posts
First idea about silicon is the best bet. Spray it on a cloth and then rub all the rubber seals, less messy. 5 minutes at home beats hours at the dealership.

·
Registered
58 Posts
This stuff is good for rubber-to-rubber squeaks like you get from your doors when you've owned the car for a bit. Not sure if it will help your issue. Fortunately mine has been squeak-and-rattle free so far (crosses fingers and touches wood while clutching lucky heather).
Hand Liquid Human body Fluid Bottle

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First idea about silicon is the best bet. Spray it on a cloth and then rub all the rubber seals, less messy. 5 minutes at home beats hours at the dealership.
That’s exactly why I want to try and find where it’s coming from myself and avoid a dealer trip. I can’t imagine it being anything more simple than some pieces of rubber trim that the factory lubricant or coating has worn away from, and if I can find it I’ll just lubricate myself or put some fabric tape in place to fix.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts