Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a driving lesson

This is the first car that I have had with an electronic HB so can someone please explain how to do a hill start? :oops:

We hit the Welsh mountains last weekend and I tried to use the EHB on a steep hill but when I released it to pull away it juddered.
Can someone explain how it works
:mrgreen: :oops:

·
Registered
533 Posts
When you release the brake and apply acceleration, for a brief moment the brake system continues to apply servo assist (pressing the pads against the discs) this allows you time to release the clutch at the biting point and drive away up the hill without rolling back.

Or to put it another way, it holds the car during the time it takes you to move your foot from brake pedal to accelerator pedal. Preventing you from rolling back.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Do you not just leave it on as in hand brake applied and then engage 1st and take up the slack, at biting point the hand brake should dis engage ?

Surely ?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Chalky said:
Do you not just leave it on as in hand brake applied and then engage 1st and take up the slack, at biting point the hand brake should dis engage ?

Surely ?
Agree it's an automatic handbrake so you leave it and just pull off and it releases automatically. I had this a few years ago on a scenic and it worked brilliantly although it took a week to get used to

·
Registered
132 Posts
Exactly,

Same when you hit the kill switch, it should auto apply hand brake ?

·
Registered
398 Posts
That's the DBR - delayed brake release helping you out. When the car detects a gradient and a gear selection to indicate an uphill start (i.e. facing uphill in first or downhill in reverse), when you release the brake pedal, the brakes stay on for a short time to let you move your foot to the accelerator with manual and auto.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Agree with Chris above. It appears as though the car needs to detect a reasonable gradient.

You may have had juddering if you gave it too much / too little power by the time the brake disengaged. I *think* I'm doing it properly but when i apply the gas and lift the clutch the brake disengages earlier than the quoted 3 seconds because it knows I'm trying to go.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I had a very similar situation to yourself when i first got my Manwell D3, that gereat thing would cook the clutch in seconds if you weren't used to it.

In fact i'm in a similar situation now with my Auto, i'm steadily getting used to it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts