Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm new to the forum and need help to allay my fears before buying a DS. I test drove a 2.2l HSE SD4 Diesel at the weekend and loved it, so my intention is to now buy the new 2l HSE TD4 Diesel.

However, I've got one little concern: During the test drive, I noticed a whistling noise coming from the back of the car. Once we got back to the garage, thinking it may have been an issue with that particular car, we turned on the engine of a brand new DS which was sat in the show room. That too made the whistling noise. It took the salesman by surprise, as he had never noticed it and he drives a DS himself! He then got a mechanic in from the workshop, who explained it was the fuel pump and suggested it did it on all Land Rovers.

Has anybody else noticed this noise with theirs? if so, is it really annoying when driving? Admittedly, the radio was off during the test drive so that may assist in future. However, I don't want to buy a car which I end up finding too irritating to drive as a result of that noise. Everything else about it is brilliant!

Any help/ views would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Andy

·
Registered
796 Posts
Mine does it on start up it also varies in tone whilst idling for a while but then stops when I drive the car

·
Registered
677 Posts
Can't say I've noticed it on mine.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Mine has a a noisy fuel pump, don't really notice it now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Triple7. Did it irritate you when driving, or was it drowned out by road noise? I do 2/3 hours driving a day, so want to ensure it isn't going to be an issue for me.

Thank you all so much for your replies so far!

·
Registered
562 Posts
Can't hear it inside the car, but it is unusually loud or a fuel pump....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Andy
You say you are a little concerned about a whistling noise coming from the test drive DS .This little little concern would soon become a major annoyance if it sounds like mine. I asked our Dealer to investigate and I was told its the turbo and they all sound the same! Mine sounds like we are being followed by a distant police car all the time we drive at town speeds. If I had known about this' feature' I would have not bought this car. I suspect the new engine will not sound the same but certainly worth checking. More about 'turbo noise' on my post in faults & technical.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.