Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not really of Earth shattering importance but.... with the debate over the existence (or not) or 'mood lights', I checked out some of the less important control buttons etc. Looking at the interior light level adjuster to the right of the boot release and lane departure switch on the lower dash - by your knee - I noticed that there is no knob to adjust the headlight levelling (which compensates for different passenger loadings).

This is shown in the manual (more a work of fiction than fact) and, to my recollection, I have had some system for doing the same thing, albeit not always with an interior control, on every car I've owned for decades. Though admittedly I can't recall ever using it!!

Does anyone else have this? My car does have auto high beam adjust but I can't see that that would obviate the need for the headlight leveller

·
Registered
829 Posts
I thought Xenons do auto-leveling and manual control is only for basic headlights?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Guys - I've not have xenons before so didn't realise that they self-level.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm pretty sure it's actually a legal requirement (in the UK at least) that xenon lights must be auto levelling and have washers.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I agree I think it is a requirement of xenon's.

However, on a related issue the manual on page 60 states,
"The headlamp beam pattern is suitable for driving on either side of the road. There is no
need for any mechanical adjustment or external decals."

Why then is there a setting in the central display menu for driving on the left or right?
Am I missing the point or is this more fiction in the manual.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Would have helped if it had said that lights can be adjusted for driving on the left or the right through the menu system rather than telling us what we don't have to do.

·
Registered
829 Posts
RR Evoque has "flat beam Xenons"; no adjustment needed when I imported into The Netherlands. Not sure what menu setting does other than changing mph to km/h

·
Registered
188 Posts
GPC said:
I agree I think it is a requirement of xenon's.

However, on a related issue the manual on page 60 states,
"The headlamp beam pattern is suitable for driving on either side of the road. There is no
need for any mechanical adjustment or external decals."

Why then is there a setting in the central display menu for driving on the left or right?
Am I missing the point or is this more fiction in the manual.
The setting in the central display menu for driving on the left or right is for the AHBA I think ? Left or right side default is set by the satnav according to which country you are in

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Correct. Sets up auto high beam assist. Helps it correctly detect oncoming vehicles. It doesn't adjust or redirect the lights at all.

Headlight levelling automatic on Xenon. I assume a manual adjuster in the car for halogens ?

I don't believe the satnav changes the high beam assist setting when you arrive in another country though or change the country ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts