1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Car has meridian upgrade and hard drive sat nav that is the one on evoque. New infotainment sat nav has better graphics but lots of issues according to forum.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. So in order to get a banging stereo (I had the upgrade on mt RRE) you get a (premium?) hard drive sat nav with worse graphics than the "standard" sd card version? - well done JLR!

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Beast said:
BFGDSMan said:
Thanks. So in order to get a banging stereo (I had the upgrade on mt RRE) you get a (premium?) hard drive sat nav with worse graphics than the "standard" sd card version? - well done JLR!
The satnav is basically OK except it doesn't show place/town names - about as useful as tits on a bull to me.

Also just realised it does not show miles to go to destination, but I can live with that aspect I guess - just like in medieval times.

This is the fourth Navteq system I've had the misfortune to have in my cars in the past six years - all dreadful in one way or other, but never the same way as Navteq keeps dreaming up ever new fiendish "improvements" to make each system significantly worse than the last one.

If it wasn't such a fiddle to plug it in, fight the hanging wires, find somewhere to stand it and have to keep dragging it out and putting away every time I leave the car, I would much prefer my Garmin. Shame they don't make them with a few day's battery life like phones.
Beast, on my RRE I always took my Garmin if we went somewhere I didn't know. Certainly in Germany the TMC was inaccurate about 90% of the time and by the time you asked it for a detour it was too late to action what it wanted you to do. I have the standard SD card version in my DS and the graphics and functionality is much better and quicker (think BMW business level). The one thing that annoys me is that with the auto zoom set as on a even with far away zoom set, on a motorway it only zooms out to about 500m - I prefer it to be about 4 or 8km as this means you can see all the TMC warnings far enough away ot think about doing something about a diversion (which at least the RRE version did), however, what is a massive improvement is that the system does repsond instantly to each letter you type rather than having to wait about 2 secs with the old one.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
On the "old" system that is supposedly with the meridian sound system it responds immediately when typing so obviously different that the "old" system. I have had no issues with the sat nav and am not bothered about fancy graphics more interested in getting to where I am going.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I have meridian upgrade ... there is no delay in sat nav input and it takes full post codes ... the graphics are simple and it gets me to where I want to go.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I think the Meridian sat nav has been updated on the MY16 model.

On the MY15 you could spec Entertainment pack + Rear seat entertainment.

On the MY16 the entertainment pack WONT have rear seat entertainment due to an "incomparability" with the head unit, this says to me that the MY16 Entertainment pack will have a different head unit from the MY15.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Beast said:
Also just realised it does not show miles to go to destination, but I can live with that aspect I guess - just like in medieval times.
Press the area of the screen that displays the 'time to destination' in the top right hand corner & it changes to distance and a chequered flag

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yep it's the premium upgrade version which is the same as the old FL2 Meriden system I had and the current Evoque system. The graphics are different and I have to say the voice announcements quality on the Meriden system is far better than the poor quality (tone) of the DS standard system I have.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Beast said:
BFGDSMan said:
The satnav is basically OK except it doesn't show place/town names - about as useful as tits on a bull to me.

For the benefit of Beast and many others out there in the world of the Disco Sport l am uploading some images on how to use sat nav and also show miles to destination. First image Where Too No-41.jpg
l have set it to WR6 5JY and in the next image, just click on what you see.No-42.jpg
In the next image it works out where you want to go, and at this point you need to click optionsNo-43.jpg
When the option screen opens, press Route AlternativesNo-45.jpg
After pressing Route Alternatives, the screen changes to show three options Fast, Short and Economical, just WAIT, the screen will now change to show you 3 routes, like the old system we all loved. See PictureNo-47.jpg
The next image shows you in the grey box on the right the time you will arrive and also how many miles,No-48.jpg
Now if you press the grey box View attachment 5323
it will change to show you the arrival time and how long it will take you, in this case it shows 46 minsNo-50.jpg
l hope this helps a few out there, and sorry to bore the rest..
regards
tony

·
Registered
60 Posts
Thanks Tony, very helpful...interesting though that the "fast" route it shows in your pictures is slower than the "Econ" route :? How does that work???

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.