Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having lurked on this forum for a few days gathering lots of useful info, I signed up today...just a couple of hours after placing my order for an SE Tech with auto box in Santorini Black.

Couldn't fault the dealer -- I went in knowing exactly what I wanted and what price I was prepared to pay. We had a grown-up discussion about wanting to secure a deal today and I came away very happy. Even bagged a short lead time, so should hopefully take delivery end Sept/early Oct.

Full of disco fever now :)

Jon

·
Registered
211 Posts
Nice. Welcome, and good luck with delivery dates. Looks like dealers are either unwilling to commit to hard dates currently, or else shift the goalposts as the dates move. Fingers crossed ..... I'm with you in the "late Sept .... possibly .... but the dates are moving ..... and we'll let you know nearer the time" brigade.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BlameTheParents said:
Nice. Welcome, and good luck with delivery dates. Looks like dealers are either unwilling to commit to hard dates currently, or else shift the goalposts as the dates move. Fingers crossed ..... I'm with you in the "late Sept .... possibly .... but the dates are moving ..... and we'll let you know nearer the time" brigade.
Thanks! Yes, I'm wondering whether my delivery date is slightly optimistic given others' experiences, but fingers crossed...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Congratulations!

I've been reading here for a little while too and am looking to do a deal to trade in our beloved Freelander for a shiny new DS. I was also thinking of an SE Tech with auto box.

Can I be as bold to ask just how good your deal was? :?:

Cheers,

N

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
noodle42 said:
Congratulations!

I've been reading here for a little while too and am looking to do a deal to trade in our beloved Freelander for a shiny new DS. I was also thinking of an SE Tech with auto box.

Cheers,

N
I was sensible in what I asked for -- no point going in with ridiculous expectations, since that's only likely to antagonise.

I broke the price for the exact spec I wanted into 4 parts, based on standard LR pricing -- the vehicle cost, the factory options, the dealer accessories and the 5 year service plan. I said I'd cover the first two if the dealer covered the last two, and that's what we agreed -- no extended haggling or messing about with things I didn't want, such as paint protection or alloy wheel insurance.

Of course, the workability of the deal depends on the split between options/accessories, but for me it seemed like a fair give/take arrangement. At the end of the day, big discounts will just damage the brand and residuals so I'd prefer to take a little bit now, knowing the car will hold it's value a lot better than the competition (I could have got £6k off a brand few Volvo XC60).

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
353 Posts
DiscoFever said:
noodle42 said:
Congratulations!

Cheers,

N
I was sensible in what I asked for -- no point going in with ridiculous expectations, since that's only likely to antagonise.

I broke the price for the exact spec I wanted into 4 parts, based on standard LR pricing -- the vehicle cost, the factory options, the dealer accessories and the 5 year service plan. I said I'd cover the first two if the dealer covered the last two, and that's what we agreed -- no extended haggling or messing about with things I didn't want, such as paint protection or alloy wheel insurance.

Of course, the workability of the deal depends on the split between options/accessories, but for me it seemed like a fair give/take arrangement. At the end of the day, big discounts will just damage the brand and residuals so I'd prefer to take a little bit now, knowing the car will hold it's value a lot better than the competition (I could have got £6k off a brand few Volvo XC60).

Hope that helps.
I managed to get the adaptive headlights, configurable mood lighting and parking perpendicular assist for free as part of my deal on a HSE Black Edition. All in all the extras were only £1,475. I also got them to remove the paint and alloy wheel protection at about £850 as I'm going for in and out gtechniq coatings at only £905.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks all - yes, very useful.

I expect that there will be little offered (or given!) in the way of discounts, due to the seemingly ever increasing popularity of the car, but I suspect there might be some leeway on the PX offer for my Freelander... Let's see what happens when we talk through the numbers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Noodle42

I also traded in my beloved FL2 but don't regret it, love the cat

I got about £500 more on the px rate which they maintained even with a 9 month gap between valuation and actually picking up the car, so with depreciation not a bad deal

Also got the service pack for free. Turned down the paint, alloy cover etc as got a consolidated rate via ALA

·
Registered
436 Posts
The best way to work out any car deal is to look at the pre-VAT cost with options pre-VAT, take 10% off add VAT and then on the road charges.
LR dealers will tell you they can only give 2-3% and may be a service pack, but I got over 10% discount recently.
Service packs are never discountable due to them being supported by EMac insurance.
Try Grange of Swindow - Steve Matthews is the sales manager and I'm sure he'll look after you!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.