Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friend and I got to drive all 6 LR and RR models from Defender 130 to RR Vogue SD V8

We had terrible whether and mud was so slippery that even a few LR instructors got stuck!

Some remarks:
- Defender was most fun and high idle RPM makes it almost unstoppable. Ground clearance bit low so first to get stuck
- LR Discovery 4; what an amazing car. Effortless blend of luxury and real ability. Heavy in terrain yet capable even on M&S tyres
- RR vogue; V8 diesel is AMAZING
- RR Sport; everything built for comfort. Very capable but somehow feels smaller inside than LR DS

Surprise:
- RR Evoque and LR DS felt completely different!
- RR Evoque was Si4 petrol with active drive; engine likes a drink but I did like the refinement and power combined with 9speed automatic
- RR Evoque was more capable in terrain because of active drive. Rear wheels have additional locking diff which shifts power to other wheel if one spins
- DS was naturally very capable yet had to rely on traction control to brake the spinning wheel and only 10s later power is shifted to the other side. In short less effective and capable without active drive

2 LR instructors had been at the Iceland DS launch for 9 weeks. Worst was day when Italian journalists were over and temperature dropped to -60c

One if these instructors called DS a bargain as it combines the best pieces of Evoque and RR Sport. He also owns a Discovery 4 and said that the ONLY difference in terrain capability with DS is ground clearance

He mentioned that only things he would have done differently at launch; offer all countries 5seats standard and offer a luxury leather pack for those clients trading "down" from RR sport yet wanting a luxury experience

Can't share pics from my phone... Please return the old photo setting allowing for all resolutions

·
Registered
33 Posts
- RR Sport; everything built for comfort. Very capable but somehow feels smaller inside than LR DS

can well believe that comment, as the 2nd row seating is massive. Much more room than my 5 series

One if these instructors called DS a bargain as it combines the best pieces of Evoque and RR Sport. He also owns a Discovery 4 and said that the ONLY difference in terrain capability with DS is ground clearance

I agree with this 2. What I like about the DS, is amazing refinement plus nimbleness of a smaller 4x4

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LR Experience was done in NL (Kerkdriel)

·
Registered
86 Posts
I think he meant -6.0C , you need to go to Siberia for -60C. Iceland struggles to get to -20C usually.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It actually was -20c "only" but due to extreme wind temp felt like -60c; was so cold that pre-heating car was no longer working and heated steering etc came in as a must apparently...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts