Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What grade of diesel do owners use, I have decided to use the Shell higher grade diesel, but not really sure if it gives any benefits.

·
Registered
896 Posts
I try not to use supermarket fuels, I don't seem to get as many MPG with it!!

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
With few exceptions I've used standard Diesel in all the cars I've had and only tried so called premium fuel on the odd occasion (then over a period of several filling) but have never been able to notice any difference.

Most members on other forums seem to share this opinion.

I guess you will need to try it for yourself but it would have to be over a longer period of time to truly ascertain any possible benefits. One tankful will probably not give you a true idea.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Chippy911 said:
With few exceptions I've used standard Diesel in all the cars I've had and only tried so called premium fuel on the odd occasion (then over a period of several filling) but have never been able to notice any difference.

Most members on other forums seem to share this opinion.

I guess you will need to try it for yourself but it would have to be over a longer period of time to truly ascertain any possible benefits. One tankful will probably not give you a true idea.
Agree, made no difference to me except in my wallet.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I use intermittent fills of premium Diesel, mostly Shell V-Power but also BP Ultimate. These fuels have higher detergency and keep fuel system and injector spray nozzles cleaner. It's another notch up from the additive package benefit you get with a branded fuel rather than supermarket (although they all conform to the minimum EN290). I think it a small price to pay for maintaining a clean system that is delivering the optimum performance and economy. I am convinced I can feel the difference in engine response but the measureable MPG impact is swamped by the variability in journeys, traffic weather, "am I in a hurry or in stinge mode"! The cost is slightly offset by double Shell cash-back bonus points with V-power or more Nectar with increased spend at BP

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've used Shell V-Power petrol and diesel in various cars. I've noticed improved responsiveness and mpg with the petrol, but no benefits at all with the diesel, so I don't bother with it any more.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Gordon said:
I've used Shell V-Power petrol and diesel in various cars. I've noticed improved responsiveness and mpg with the petrol, but no benefits at all with the diesel, so I don't bother with it any more.
I've often heard that petrol engine vehicles can benefit more than their Diesel equivalent.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've had two turbo's fail on my company vans at around 30 - 40k, both of which were run exclusively on cheap supermarket fuel.

Now, we run them on branded fuel and have had no problems, with some of the vans at 150k+

It's certainly not absolute proof that supermarket fuel is bad but, I wouldn't use it anymore, either on small Corsa's and Fiesta's or on a DS.

I also get about 10% better MPG on premium fuels which makes the extra cost about equal.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Over 15 years before retiring I was travelling circa 35k miles a year in Discoverys, Freelander 2 and a Golf. Each was changed at about 100k miles. I've always used branded rather than supermarket fuel and have had no issues attributable to fuel. I experimented with premium diesel and could find no improvement by using it. I wrote to the oil companies to ask for evidence to back up their claims and was provided with none. Save your money and buy the regular grade of diesel.
Tim

·
Registered
174 Posts
From what I understood, there is no difference between branded or supermarkets, typically it all comes from the same storage tank, (even the different brands use the same batches of fuel) This was highlighted a couple of years ago when we had problems of freezing diesel in the Cambs/Norfolk area, which seemed to be one batch of fuel, but bought from several different petrol stations, including both supermarket and brands. The exception is probably the premium fuels as there the companies have to put in their own additive mix.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
lodgic said:
From what I understood, there is no difference between branded or supermarkets, typically it all comes from the same storage tank, (even the different brands use the same batches of fuel) This was highlighted a couple of years ago when we had problems of freezing diesel in the Cambs/Norfolk area, which seemed to be one batch of fuel, but bought from several different petrol stations, including both supermarket and brands. The exception is probably the premium fuels as there the companies have to put in their own additive mix.
My understanding also, it has to comply with strict rules on composition so can't be inferior.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.