Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So have done 3000 miles in a couple of months, mostly good

Things I wish they had done differently...

1. Reversing camera is not in the centre - it's offset which makes the parking perspective harder (Q5 had it in the middle, much easier to line up)
2. No aircon vents in 2nd row - kids get hot driver has to get cold - why have them in 3rd row, but not second?
3. Travel Programme constantly blips in - even though switched off get an annoying buzz every 20 mins or so
4. Petrol tank too small - much better fuel economy than Q5, but tank is tiny, so range is the same if not slightly lower
5. Roof bars are too close together - could have been a further foot apart to make carrying a load easier
6. Sat Nav - why can't I just go to the centre of a town? It always asks for a street
7. Keyless go - what do you do with your keys when there's nowhere to put them?
8. Boot locking - very easy to lock your keys in the boot
9. In control apps - pointless, haven't used them

Loving - space inside, 7 seats, fuel economy, not having Add-Blue, panoramic roof (although it's too far back for the driver to see out)

PK

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Which model? I'm 3000 miles in on an HSE.

1- Can seems OK except the yellow lines don't seem to take the off-set into account. But I'm not used to having one so I always check the mirrors when reversing.
2- My 2nd row seats have vents in the door pillars!
3 - pass, I only use DAB which doesn't do traffic bings. I have no idea what stations my FM presets are even tuned to. But yes, it would be annoying if it kept chiming in even when you've turned it off.
4 - tank range is just over 400 miles, I guess I'm happy with that. Used to get 500 on my D2 but that was with a 100 litre fillup!
6 - agree in spades. Especially if you pick a random street to get past that screen, chances are you find yourself taking a stupid route to a location 20 miles away from the town centre in the wrong direction.
7 - they never come out of my pocket in the first place!
8 - there's a key-sensor in the boot, if you do leave the keys in there it's *Supposed* to not lock! Test it (with your spare key somewhere handy but NOT too close to the car!) and complain to the dealer if it doesn't work as it should.
9 - IC Apps - agreed, daft poorly thought out solution to a problem no-one has. Didn't pay for it. However I *do* wish the dealer had bothered to tell me that the middle-option on IC counts as a Thatcham approved tracker. (No idea why the basic level doesn't - my phone can always tell me where the car is and the route it took to get there.)

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm pretty sure there is a City Centre option on the Nav. I think I've used it.

p173 of the handbook tells you how.

But it also tells us how to use ACC, surround cameras and head up display!

Will look tonight but from memory it might be Where To? and then a scroll to the second page of options rather than Address.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Can someone tell me if the reversing camera will give a good view of tow ball, as I reverse in to hitch up caravan?

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Pedro T

Reversing camera will give you a good view of towball but may not line up with trailer/caravan. There is a post on here showing the misalignment on several owners cars, mine is about one and a half inches.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Over the last couple of weeks I have got used to the off line camera, when I get close I can see the edge of the actual tow ball, so for the last foot or so I look at that, and as soon as the leading edge of the hitch disappears from view I know I am lined up.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Beast said:
Trouble with reversing cameras, and other "aids" like reversing sensors, is you will lose all the skills you have learned since starting to drive. I had a camera on my last car for the first time, don't have one on this and wouldn't pay for it again. I got to rely on it to the degree that I had difficulty parking for a day or two until I got my skills back when I bought my DS. We are far too pampered these days :twisted:
Don't agree on that. I drive a 50ft coach everyday, a reversing camera is essential to see what is behind and used in conjunction with the mirrors makes for a safer manoeuvre. I can still reverse one of our 40ft coaches that don't have them fitted without any trouble.

I very rarely use the reverse camera on the DS, just a quick look to make sure nothing is behind me the rest is done using my mirrors.

·
Registered
677 Posts
It's company policy to have a reversing camera as someone was crushed by a reversing bus. To be fair they are pretty useless, once the road grime covers the lense it's pointless being there.

I do see where you are coming from, a lot of new drivers rely on them but I didn't have that luxury when I started and still prefer my own judgment.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.