Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI,

As i will be at LR Halewood for six hours on Friday if anyone has any questions then want answers to I am happy to give it a go and ask them when i am in the factory.

Let me know.

Thanks

Roger

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Roger

Keep an eye out for the car below also being built on Friday

Regards

Ian

·
Registered
72 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hello Roger, can you please ask them about the HUD Display production estimate? Also in case you see a Waitomo Grey DS please take a picture if they allow you :) Thank you.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Any news? Did you go?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hello Roger did you finally make it on Friday?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Sworn to secrecy!!

I hope you took a large bag to swag some bolt on pieces!

·
Registered
829 Posts
Roger is likely still at the factory site; maybe he has discovered this secret terrain where Moose's car was lost for 6 weeks

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi All,

Well I made it back in one piece from Halewood and i have to say what a fantastic day and experience it was. The day started with refreshments and some history of Land Rover and Halewood in the prestige lounge. We went on the site tour and started off in the steel room where the 16 tonne rolls of steel are flattened prior to going into the press shop to see bodel panels being pressed and cut. Next was a move into panel assembly to see welding and shell assembly. really impressive to see the robots changing their own arms from claws to welding guns! the system is quite cool as all evoques and Discovery sports are made on the same line at the same time, no making in batchs just processed by order number regardless of model or specification. My car was sandwiched between a evoque for HK and a discovery sport for Canada! After the press shop it was on to the paint shop, you cant actually go in here in case you contaminate the atmosphere but they have a good area which steps you through the process. My car had been went into the body plant on the Monday then into paint ( contrast roof cars need to go through the process twice) paint process is five steps 2 complete dips, paint, coat and dry. Looking at the corrosion coats and water baffles, it should be well protected if left undamaged.

We picked my actual car up (6589 was its plant number) after it left paint and was having its first components fitted this was actually the dashboard, which interestingly only gets ordered from the dash manufacturer 24 hours prior to being needed on line. After that i got the chance to bolt my own engine and chassis assembly into the body. I thne followed my car right through to engine start up and drive off the line to QC,the guys could not have been more accomodating and every time the line plays its fairground music (break time) Dave the production manger let me go right into the line for pictures wih the car. I was their from 9 till end of day to see everything i wanted to which is probably a bit longer than they thought but as I was so keen and from a manufacturing background they helped me out. At the end of the day they give you a few goodies the most exciting of which ( if your a bit of a geek) is a copy of the assembly sheet that the associates use to decide which parts to fit to your car.

All in all highly reccomend if you get the chance to go and see your car being built.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Fabulous experience Roger.
Unfort some if us are too far away :)
Loved reading your story though.
Enjoy your DS.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I agree.....gutted I can't go to see mine being built, but too late to arrange now.

Enjoy your car......I'm only a week behind you! :)

·
Registered
562 Posts
Was this organised through your dealer. Mine said no factory visits whatsoever.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I've booked a factory tour online through the LR website.
Details are here: http://www.halewood.landroverexperience.co.uk
If you want the VIP tour to see your car on the production line, I think you have to phone to book and the number is on the web page

·
Registered
149 Posts
I've just booked me and the wife on the VIP Experience... Added benefit is they co-ordinate your build with the VIP tour availability, so I was able to book a slot which brought my build date forward by 4 days... Although it does have to be in the same week as your scheduled build date, I was able to shift ours from Friday to Monday to fit with the tour. Can't wait, a unique experience and one which I am sure we will enjoy.... :D

·
Registered
896 Posts
At least you are not going to get a Friday car!!

·
Registered
149 Posts
PedroT said:
At least you are not going to get a Friday car!!
That's exactly why I went for Monday.... :lol:

·
Registered
149 Posts
Ha ha, possibly.... I still think I'd rather a Monday over a Friday... No basis for that mind... Just the mythical "Friday afternoon" car...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.