Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

Recently swapped out an ageing battery (original in a MY16 - it's done well!): had been showing the usual symptoms of Low Battery warning, stop/start not working, powered tailgate failing to open most of the time the engine wasn't running.. despite all of which it's taken me around 18 months to get round to it as otherwise the actual starting/running hasn't been a problem!

Job easily done, windows reset, new battery registered using Autel OBD2 tool, first journey off the driveway and everything back to full working order = happy days.

HOWEVER..
While I had the OBD2 tool hooked up I read for any fault codes (diligently before changing the battery): there were a few, where indicated dating back thousands or more miles, suspect the majority relating to one of the times the battery died completely (shutting down or doing unexpected things to modules etc), a cursory look suggested nothing serious so I cleared them down. All successfully apart from P-0673-13 (Cylinder 3 glow plug - circuit open) which showed as present. Nothing else came back.

Since the battery change I've taken it for several reasonable drives covering around 100 miles and re-tested: again no other codes, just this one showing as present and unable to be cleared. Yet the engine warning light or any other warning light has never shown (apart from briefly during startup test so I know the actual lights work!) nor are they showing now.

Confused how there can be such a fault without the car telling me (other than via OBD interrogation) - if there's a problem with the glow plug(s) should it not be making me aware? Also can't see when this fault first occurred, so have no idea how long is has been like this for, reiterating starting performance appears to be and always has been fine.

Any ideas? TIA.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I'd also have expected the engine management light to have come on with that fault. However, on modern CDI engines and in the temperatures we get here in the UK, the loss of 1 glow plug will probably have little to no effect on starting or running. It may start a tad lumpy for a moment when there's snow on the ground and it's first thing in the morning but that'd be about it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts