Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a test drive and I have noticed a short delay in the response of the gearbox to change gear even from 0 speed. I want immediate reaction. Even if this delay is below 1 second, for me this is important. I will test drive the new X3 also to compare. Did you experience this issue?

·
Registered
132 Posts
If i were you i'd look at a PORSCHE macan with the PDK box, its pretty seamless and has minimal lag, Unfortunately for you most dealers are manufacturing Veh's with this Delay built in. It's got something to do with easing off from a stand still instead of hammering it which is maybe another emmisions ruse.

I;ve only had mine since this afternoon and covered only 72 Miles but i;ve noticed it.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I have driven four DS now and to me they all had it, for me it's not a problem.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Most of these boxes set off in second so if you hoof if from junctions they tend to have a slight pause engaging first. Adapt your driving and flick into first manually and it you're really keen learn to hold the car on the brake with your left foot (but not for too long else you'll probably damage the torque converter). Doubt you were good at quick getaways in a manual until you learnt the right technique.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you know if driving at S will improve this lag? I really dont like it. They told me that the 2.0 BMW X3 does not do this lag, I will test drive it next week. What about the after market companies that they some tuning? Can this lag be fixed somehow without bbuying a porsche macan? :)

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
It will be in the mapping, ie designed like it, therefore if you found a tuning company I guess they should be able to remap the box

·
Registered
677 Posts
The 11MY Fl2 does it, the Evoque does it, I think it's a feature of the gearbox.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Charles said:
I suggest if this is such an issue that you should look at a different car
Like a PORSCHE Macan :roll:

Its a Discovery SPORT, it's not a Sports car, its actually quite Slow,

·
Registered
91 Posts
Its called 'step away' in the industry can be programmed out but then you get the hair trigger effect...and more customer moans that the car jumps away with the slightest touch...manufacturers just can't win...the perfect car does not exist for all people,...there will alays be something which does not suit....the same in all areas of life, jobs, houses etc etc... :(

I've driven my DS about 2000mls now and have to say I just don't notice any delays....gearbox has learnt my driving so we are sorted. :D

The DS is a 2 tonne 4X4 not a sports car.... ;)

·
Registered
89 Posts
:D Spot on slider.......

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Slider, I tend to agree with you. It is also very important that after te 2000 miles is a bit more loose. Te dealer told me the same thing that after the first 2-3,000 it will feel different. Dont get me wrong, I like everything about the DS but I want to check if I can fix this lag somehow or if te new engine will be better on this issue so I wait till September. Dealer told me that Igenium has much better react time on the change gear chapter but still there is an after market tuning companies that fix this. He told me that evoque has te same issue but after the first 3000 miles things get better.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think in this situation the disco sport is called a sport to mean it is smaller. If you feel you need a sports car gearbox get a boxster or something like that. We have had a 2 week trip from London to North East Scotland covering over 2000 miles and I have no issues about the gearbox at all. It is a very worthy addition to the Land Rover family - I have to stop myself waving to defenders I drive past.

·
Registered
562 Posts
The term 'Sport' in the Disco doesn't mean 'racing', but more 'recreation'.....not noticed the delay at start, but 2nd to 3rd sometimes has a bit of a whummp.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts