Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read a few threads that suggest owners are getting the 40+ MPG promised by the DS marketing. On my automatic HSE, we're really struggling to get above 35. We live in East Sussex, and do mix of main and country road driving, with the occasional longer motorway stint. I have managed to nudge it over 40 on longer journeys when stuck behind slow moving cars, but it not easy and requires a very cautious, gentle approach. Even my wife, who used to consistently get 37 MPG out of our manual FL2 is struggling.

In a potentially related aside, I think there might be something wrong with my fuel gauge. I filled the tank on Saturday before driving from East Sussex to North London. I was way into London before the gauge dropped off full.

I would be really interested to hear from people who are managing to get over 40 MPG about the type of driving they are doing, their driving style, how they have the car set up and so forth. I'd be equally interested to hear from others who are struggling to alleviate my paranoia about having a broken car.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Haven't got my DS yet but 2.2 diesel on RR Evoque would hardly get above 40mpg unless you drove like a granny

·
Registered
78 Posts
To be honest, if mpg were the be all and end all you wouldn't be buying a 4x4 would you. If it's that big a deal get a 2WD version or something smaller.

I'm lucky to get 34 out of the 6 speed auto FL2. Anything between that at 40 is a bonus.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I had an EVOQUE last year when my D3 went in for its 105K service, its Fuel consumption was worse than my Manwell D3, figure that one out.

As said, the last thing you should be worried about is Fuel Consumption having just purchased a 4X4 Land Rover.

My wife has a VW Tiguan that is equally as poor on Fuel and no where near the claimed manufacturers figures.
Also the reading is prob out by a few MPG so if its stating 34MPG its prob only doing 31MPG.

·
Registered
78 Posts
We are getting around 26mpg base on mostly urban driving plus a couple of journey via the dual carriageway (did around 130 miles in total).

My wife drives it full auto and I do mine in paddle shifts.

I doubt we will ever hit the magic 40+ mpg, having said that we will be driving a good mixture of motorway, country and urban roads this weekend and will keep an eye how our DS fair...

·
Registered
562 Posts
Mine averages mid-30's with mixed driving.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
First time driving an automatic for a long time so still getting used to it.

Covered about 150 miles on various length trips and MPG varies from 30 to 46, would say on average 37.

Very happy with this as had a Honda CRV manual before which claimed 47.5 on combined figures and I averaged 38 over the 6700 miles I owned it. DS is achieving nearer the manufacturers figure of 45.5.

Could probably achieve a little more as I am turning the stop/start off as I find it too sensitive cutting the engine immediately the car comes to a standstill, probably me but I thought it was dangerous at junctions etc..

·
Registered
98 Posts
Just an example - 45.1 mpg recorded by my iRemote This was on a recent 42 mile journey on mixed rural and motorway - driven at or close to the speed limits. Stop/start on and in eco mode. Can't claim that all journeys always achieve this MPG - but always above 35 MPG even on slow-ish urban trips and normally in the top 30s/lower 40s.

Can't see the image in preview so hope it has attached! EDIT: obviously not, not sure why!

·
Registered
265 Posts
I've covered around 600 miles in the DS so far and my mpg experience purely using readings from the trip computer is as follows;

10 mile round trip to town starting from cold travelling along country roads with a max of 45mph, 29mpg.
25 mile journey with a warm engine on A, B and D roads with a max of 60mph, 45mpg ; this was making a real effort to get best fuel consumption.
95 mile trip to Silverstone Circuit 37.5 mpg going and 40 mpg returning.
The trip computer from delivery is showing 36.6mpg.

All in all very acceptable, our Evoque with 6 speed gearbox returned around 32/33 mpg over a similar mileage and journey type.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Normally get low 40s with mixed driving, getting mid 30s as its been short trips lately.

Incontrol recorded for one journey 51.5mpg, must have been all down hill.

Anything over 25mpg that my D4 gave me is a bonus really.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Glad people are honest about mid 30ties MPG on mixed driving in real world. If we reported 45+ MPG others get worried something is wrong with their car!

·
Registered
506 Posts
I'm getting late 30s to early 40s on A and B roads, so very mixed conditions, to help it bed in over the first 1k miles.

Will get it's longest journey to date later today. I'm getting high ECO driving style scores, but not using ECON setting. My aircon is always on (on Auto). It says it's impact is 0.3mpg/gal used.

Average mpg over 400 miles was showing as 37.2mpg, until yesterday afternoon, when I put MY first diesel in (it was the tank provided by JLR until then - so free motoring). Don't know if I did something wrong, but I reset trip and it wiped out my overall average which was very annoying. I'm used to just pushing a button (below odometer on FL2) to reset trip, without it clearing the average mpg. Does anybody know if it's possible to clear trip on DS without resetting everything?

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Not sure but on Honda crv that had an A and a B trip you could set either of them to reset when filling up. Not come across this on DS yet but looks as though this has happened to you, will have a trawl through the menu later.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Had a play with the menu but cannot find anything relating to resetting on filling up. Will be filling mine up for first time in a few days and will let you know if it resets.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I am getting a regular 36mpg in daily driving on A & B roads and not particularly being 'of economical mind' on my last journey down south I averaged 64mph over 92 miles and got 40.9mpg....me happy I've just come from a RRS which would have given me 29.5 and 32 respectively and I don't feel particularly 'short changed' on the move from RRS to DS :)

·
Registered
179 Posts
xxtrail said:
but I reset trip and it wiped out my overall average which was very annoying. I'm used to just pushing a button (below odometer on FL2) to reset trip, without it clearing the average mpg. Does anybody know if it's possible to clear trip on DS without resetting everything?
The trip is A, B or Auto. you will have only reset one of them - the data should still be there on the others! Auto I think is just data for the current journey (only discovered that one today!). I reset A on refilling at present to note miles / litres (and will work it out sometime!!), and leave B running for longer term average.

Trip down dual carriageway, motorway (M25, bit stop go) and lanes, 74 miles - according to the app, it did 44.2mpg; on the return, with better traffic flow, it was 46.5mpg on the app. Though on the averager from the refuel just before the motorway, I got a bit over 50mpg for a short while (until stopping at a junction and pulling away uphill!).

I'm up to 900 miles / 2 refills so will calc the average up to 2nd fill sometime when I have nothing better to do...

·
Registered
506 Posts
TugPilot
The trip is A, B or Auto. you will have only reset one of them - the data should still be there on the others! Auto I think is just data for the current journey (only discovered that one today!). I reset A on refilling at present to note miles / litres (and will work it out sometime!!), and leave B running for longer term average.
After our run yesterday, I found the trip menus, but scared myself when it said 'reset or delete' in the actions, so backed out. I'll check again after seeing your info, thank you so much. It's given me hope that it may still be in there.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Average burn to 2nd refill is 36.02 mpg - includes lots of inefficient little trips and a handful of longer motorway type runs. FL2 SD4 achieved a long term average over the first 15 fills of 32.61 mpg.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts