201 - 220 of 242 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Could get complicated, but covers all bases

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Surely it has to be split as LR do, engine size and gearbox type.

·
Registered
567 Posts
TOPIx said:
SSM72551 - AJ200D (I4D - Ingenium engine) fuel economy concerns.
Just seen this in my TOPIx activity stream, I don't have the access to see details - it could just be a reflection of registering customers concerns. Any ideas anyone?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Anyone else find it amazing that we have 21 pages of people fretting about mpg as if that is the only cost of running a car. You don't buy any new car to save money. The biggest cost per mile is depreciation (roughly 66p a mile for depreciation and 16p a mile for diesel cost).
The manufacturer figures are eu wide standard test results. If you want real world figures read a few car magazine test results to set your expectation levels.
If you want a very low cost per mile buy an old cheap car. A classic car actually goes up in value with age, so even cheaper per mile!

Just got my 2l DS HSE today and very pleased with it. Economy is of minor interest as long as it's reasonable, which it is. Found the ingenium 2l engine noticeably quicker to respond than the 2.2 DS which is of much more interest, and probably safer for pulling out or overtaking. Also noticeably quieter and more refined.

·
Registered
92 Posts
One of the reasons I bought a Discovery Sport and didn't buy a Discovery 4 was the naive view that I just might be able to buy a serious, luxury, high quality 4X4 that was not going to be too environmentally harmful. My view was the DS could just be that car and when I saw that it was £130 to annually tax and LR were quoting figures of 50+ mile to the gallon on a run, naively, I was hooked. I get 35 to a gallon a run, which might be ok by big SUV standards, but it is not what I was expecting! As I said.....naive!

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
if you want a genuine 50mpg, then get a X3, if you want a 7 seat off roader, get a DS
Simples

I have the 2.2, and its great on fuel compared to the same engine in my previous freelanders, so am "well happy"
I get 19mpg if I stay in town on short hops, and anything from 29-40 depending on the run. NO complaints here ( Apart from missing off road Nav on Meridian system )

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yep! I take all that on board. It just would be nice if LR were honest with their figures! They are the ones who quoted 50+mpg and us gullible ones believed them!

·
Super Moderator
2,834 Posts
+1 As Simol said

It's not just about mpg it's emissions too which since I ordered last June before real world figures were available VW have shown is a farce too :roll:

I've been driving LRs since 2000 apart from 2006 when I bought a Jaguar during the anti LR period - friends were having them vandalised and being abused for "killing the planet" despite fact they lived in countryside not Chelsea.

The Jag was awful on fuel and I crashed it in snow so it went and I bought a FL2 and explained to the uneducated that it was as efficient as the Jag that they had no problem with

My daughter has asthma so I'm torn when I buy a LR but the DS mpg claims made me feel less guilty - now I'm irritated but still like the DS

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just to add more info to the thread

My wife has the 2.2 DS and its averaging 38mpg, and has been since we got it 10 months ago - mostly fast A roads, B roads and with no motorways.
We are rather pleased with this - her previous Mini Countryman which was 4wd also averaged 38mpg (now that was an unrefined car noisy car !)

As a comparison My Disco 4 commercial averages 30mpg but that does include a fair chunk of motorway use - I also think this is rather good for a dreadnought its size.

Considering the 2.0 DS doesn't seem to be able to achieve 40mpg after all the fanfare I would be a little peeved to be honest if I had bought one. However, I'm personally not sure why anyone would buy a car of this class or size with MPG as a key consideration.

·
Super Moderator
2,834 Posts
I don't think mpg is the key consideration here :?

It's about trust and honesty and people feel LR have let them down by claiming 53 mpg and claiming it's more efficient than the old 2.2

Mpg is a factor - if it wasn't I'd be driving a supercharged now :lol:

Or I could go and buy a sewing machine on wheels but I want something that is functional and if LR says it will do nearly twice as much as my previous RRS actuality did I expect it will because I trust them

If Arthur Daley says it will do 53 mpg I'd take it with a pinch of salt

·
Registered
55 Posts
For every car, no matter what manufacturers, the real world mpg is significantly worse than the eu standard test mpg. A rule of thumb is expect 10-15 mpg less than the combined figure, or drive like a granny to try and get those figures.

As I said don't worry so much about mpg, depreciation is far more significant and in that area the DS is doing well.

Also see the recent review in what car March 16, which shows the DS has the lowest cost over 4 years compared to the recent bmw x3 and merc glc. The figures include real world mpg figures (always worth checking reviews before buying a car to set expectation levels) and all other costs like depreciation, servicing, insurance etc

So be happy you've chosen the right car, that came out on top in the reviews and was best on running costs.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I really don't know why your mpg values are worse than I have in Finland. I just calculated average consumption for last 1000 km and it is 42,803 MPG and this is average on winter time. It will be better during summer time, I hope

But I may have one possible explanation for these differences. In UK you have higher speed limits than we here in north. Last summer when I visited Scotland I noticed that mostly the speed limits were 70 or 90 miles/hour.
In the place where I live the speed limits are mostly 80 (about 49 mph) or 100 km/h (about 62 mph)

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
I tend to agree with many of the later postings and am neither surprised nor disappointed with my fuel consumption.

I bought the 150HP version because it gives me the power I need and not because it may be more fuel efficient than the 180HP version.

We're currently paying under 1 Euro/liter so driving is anyway cheaper than it has been for years.

The main thing, I believe, is to buy what you want, enjoy it and not be too concerned about resale value.

·
Super Moderator
2,834 Posts
My previous MY13 RRS had a claimed combined of 32mpg - I could get 35 mpg on a run and 29 mpg normally according to computer. My previous MY10 RRS had a combined of 30 mpg and I could get 32 on a run and 27 normally. My FL1s/2s and Disco2s were all within combined range too :geek:

I've had FFRR1/2 and RRS2 loan vehicles and achieved claimed combined on computer at least :cool:

I'll admit the Jag X type in 06 was well below the combined figure :oops:

The Ds is achieving 35 mpg actual and 37 mpg according to computer which is a long way from 53 and after all the above is unexpected :?

SWMBO had a mini with free road tax and claimed combined of 74 mpg - best we got was 62 on a run and high 40s normally according to computer so if I was buying a BMW/Mini I'd be doubtful but based on my experience never doubted the LR claim. I guess LR have looked at BMW practice and thought we can make the DS look good ;)

·
Registered
55 Posts
The mpg you get shouldn't be a surprise if you had read a few car reviews, the DS is similar to its competitors. This is not a LR issue. It is an issue of the standard test not being realistic of typical driving, which is why they are planning to change it. On more powerful, less economical cars the real and official figures are more similar, it mainly shows up in much more efficient cars, where the mpg is much more sensitive to driving style.

Other manufacturers are no different. E.g BMW X3 20d combined mpg 54mpg, real world test 38 mpg
Merc glc 250d combined 56mpg, real world 39 mpg
Source: what car March 2016

·
Registered
588 Posts
Hi all, we took a trip down the motorway to Edinburgh, yesterday. 70 mph on cruise control, back to Stirling.

Did our first fill of diesel, filled it to the brim, which I guess the dealer didn't ......

Achieved a very pleasing 44.6 mpg .....

A happy chappy.

Pete

:D :D :D

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Comeinhandy said:
The mpg you get shouldn't be a surprise if you had read a few car reviews, the DS is similar to its competitors. This is not a LR issue. It is an issue of the standard test not being realistic of typical driving, which is why they are planning to change it. On more powerful, less economical cars the real and official figures are more similar, it mainly shows up in much more efficient cars, where the mpg is much more sensitive to driving style.

Other manufacturers are no different. E.g BMW X3 20d combined mpg 54mpg, real world test 38 mpg
Merc glc 250d combined 56mpg, real world 39 mpg
Source: what car March 2016
I think you are dead right on this. Car manufacture set there car up to get the best test results. If the test reflected more how people drive then the difference between test figure and real life would be less.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #219 ·
I do think some people here are actually missing the point. Its about honesty and integrity. I couldn't care less whether somebody else thinks 35mpg or 45mpg or whatever is a reasonable expectation. LR advertise the DS as returning over 50mpg as a 'combined' figure. It doesn't, you can expect to get about 38 - 40 mpg overall combined mpg.

If I go to a garage and the pump tells me I have put 50 litres in my tank I expect 50 litres, and I expect to pay for 50 litres. I don't expect to get 38 litres and be charged for 50 litres. If I did I would make a fuss, I assume some folk on here would just accept it.

The principle is the same. If the manufacturers are deceiving us by using 'laboratory test' figures, then the practice should be stopped and replaced by an honest system.

·
Super Moderator
2,834 Posts
Totally agree HW :!:

201 - 220 of 242 Posts