Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 242 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't help but notice that just about everybody is very disappointed with the fuel consumption of their new Ingenium DS. Nobody is offering any figures, just saying its very disappointing. Is anybody who has taken delivery going to be brave and give us a figure? What is consumption averaging out at? We all know the fictitious figures the manufacturers pull out of a hat on the publicity blurb, but what is the truth? I accept that its early days but has anybody got a rough figure?

For me I have to be honest, if its much less than 45mpg it probably means a cancelled order.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
305 Posts
We have done some short 20 mile trips and we get 35mpg.

Keeping in mind it's saying we have half a tank and only a range of 110 miles I think the overall mpg trip needs reset and a full to empty of the tank.

The engines will loosen up and the mpg will improve.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
Hillwalker said:
I can't help but notice that just about everybody is very disappointed with the fuel consumption of their new Ingenium DS. Nobody is offering any figures, just saying its very disappointing. Is anybody who has taken delivery going to be brave and give us a figure? What is consumption averaging out at? We all know the fictitious figures the manufacturers pull out of a hat on the publicity blurb, but what is the truth? I accept that its early days but has anybody got a rough figure?

For me I have to be honest, if its much less than 45mpg it probably means a cancelled order.
I find it strange that people buy cars expecting them deliver the mpg advertised, it's a well known fact (And was well know and widely discussed on here and elsewhere befoer last friday's VW "bombshell") that they typically come in +/- 25% worse than advertised. I'll be happy with 40mpg.

I find it even stranger that people buying SUVs are worrying about fuel economy!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
mentorofmonty said:
Hillwalker said:
I can't help but notice that just about everybody is very disappointed with the fuel consumption of their new Ingenium DS. Nobody is offering any figures, just saying its very disappointing. Is anybody who has taken delivery going to be brave and give us a figure? What is consumption averaging out at? We all know the fictitious figures the manufacturers pull out of a hat on the publicity blurb, but what is the truth? I accept that its early days but has anybody got a rough figure?

For me I have to be honest, if its much less than 45mpg it probably means a cancelled order.
I find it strange that people buy cars expecting them deliver the mpg advertised, it's a well known fact (And was well know and widely discussed on here and elsewhere befoer last friday's VW "bombshell") that they typically come in +/- 25% worse than advertised. I'll be happy with 40mpg.

I find it even stranger that people buying SUVs are worrying about fuel economy!
I agree with your last point here Mentor, I only average 45 in a manual 2 wheel drive Audi A3, and about 42 in my manual 2 wheel drive BMW X1. I would happily take an average of around 35 to 40 in the 4 wheel drive Auto DS when it arrives... It can vary hugely depending on your driving style, and the type of journeys you complete. I can get 60 out of both mine on a long motorway run, and about 27 when towing with the X1...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
246 Posts
I took a 2.0 Lux out on a long test drive last weekend and from Bedale to Scunthorpe (85 miles) where I had to fill up I averaged 47.8 MPG I was on cruise on the A1 & motorways at 67 MPH, I was interested what I could get, I forgot to put it in Eco mode Doh, Also it only had 600 miles on the clock when borrowed it. No too bad I thought.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks w4yne, that is helpful.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
246 Posts
If you cancel your order Ill take the slot LOL, I have been building and rebuilding variants and might be about to place an order today !!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I find it strange that people buy cars expecting them deliver the mpg advertised, it's a well known fact (And was well know and widely discussed on here and elsewhere befoer last friday's VW "bombshell") that they typically come in +/- 25% worse than advertised. I'll be happy with 40mpg.

I find it even stranger that people buying SUVs are worrying about fuel economy![/quote]

Correction: I don't expect a car to perform to the advertised mpg, car manufacturers are probably the most dishonest people on the planet when it comes to such claims, +/- 25% is expected by a gullible customer base and would not be tolerated in any other business. What if your garage pump delivered 30 litres and charged for 40? Would you just shrug that off?

I apologise for being a peasant on a pension with aspirations for owning a DS, I hope I don't attract other poor people to the club!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
I find it strange that people buy cars expecting them deliver the mpg advertised, it's a well known fact (And was well know and widely discussed on here and elsewhere befoer last friday's VW "bombshell") that they typically come in +/- 25% worse than advertised. I'll be happy with 40mpg.

I find it even stranger that people buying SUVs are worrying about fuel economy!
Correction: I don't expect a car to perform to the advertised mpg, car manufacturers are probably the most dishonest people on the planet when it comes to such claims, +/- 25% is expected by a gullible customer base and would not be tolerated in any other business. What if your garage pump delivered 30 litres and charged for 40? Would you just shrug that off?

I apologise for being a peasant on a pension with aspirations for owning a DS, I hope I don't attract other poor people to the club!
Whilst I agree with your comment on the car industry and its propriety (as highlighted in the past seven days more so than ever) it's the law that is an ass in this case- the test is clearly highly manipulable, and every manufacturer does it. If they wanted to change that they could, and we would have to rebase all our understanding of what is acceptable and what isn't as it pertains to fuel consumption.

With reference to your second comment, that's a bit much, if you don't mind me saying. My comment was nothing to with who can and can't afford to pay for fuel. It was everything to with the fact that I think people buy SUVs with functions such as their storage capacity and number of seats in mind, and tend to accept that that comes with a compromise in the form of increased running costs.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
2,834 Posts
I've always achieved combined figures used by LR on previous vehicles under correct conditions so expect too on DS or will be complaining

Swmbos mini never got anywhere nr the claimed figures but looking at vw maybe that explains why

No other industry can sell/lie about weights and quantities without penalty

Manufacturers should be prosecuted for false mpg claims it's misselling
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
you all have valid points although... false advertisement is false advertisement... lets see what everyone average's over the next few months once majority of engines have 'run in' it takes a while to get the average up. .. if you are not satisfied then see what the dealer has to say!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,159 Posts
Can't help with figures for 2.0 but had the following yesterday in 2.2.
Day trip from Bournemouth to Belgium, drove from Bournemouth to Calais 172 miles, ferry to Calais and then drove from Calais to Adinkerke in Belgium 38 miles. Carried out return trip
Tank was full when setting off, computer shows 421 miles, 48mph, 38.6 mpg, 53 miles to empty.
Obviously actual mpg to that shown on computer is about -2mpg.
Best leg of trip was Calais to Adinkerke 38 miles, 55mph, 43.0mpg.

Would have thought 2.0 should be able to better this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
I guess it depends on driving style to a degree. My father manages 60-65mpg in his C-Class blocking traffic on the M1 as he cruises along at exactly 56mph. I on the other hand average 17mpg in my Mazda RX-8 when I grow horns.

The DS will replace the wife's Freelander. Just been told by the dealer that it arrived this morning, and will be ready for me on Monday. So, at this point I don't really care what the economy is, I just want to drive it. Roll on Monday!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
232 Posts
Our DS does some very short trips with scary fuel consumption.

The longest trip it's done is 20 odd miles on dual carriageway and I got 37MPG. Not great, but the car had just over 100 miles on it.

I wanted a petrol. Diesel is of no benefit to me at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,159 Posts
Loopylumpy said:
Our DS does some very short trips with scary fuel consumption.

The longest trip it's done is 20 odd miles on dual carriageway and I got 37MPG. Not great, but the car had just over 100 miles on it.

I wanted a petrol. Diesel is of no benefit to me at all.
Agree with you Loopylumpy, DS doesn't like short journeys and hates towing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
172 Posts
Not put any diesel in yet, so can only give incontrol figures.
My drive to work 6.2miles no traffic average speed 30mph gives about 34mpg, drive home using back roads to avoid the worst of the traffic 7.0miles average speed 13mph gives 22mpg.

Once I add in my weekend driving which adds a bit of motorway driving I'm hoping to better the 28mpg I averaged in my 2.2 Evoque.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
533 Posts
According to which (UK consumer advice):
In our petrol or diesel investigation we've picked identical-spec petrol and diesel versions of popular models and calculated the annual fuel bill for each. In four of our six examples, the petrol engine was the best choice for a driver covering around 11,000 miles a year. If you do fewer miles than this, petrol will almost always be the best choice.
We do around 18-19k miles per year and live in a relatively rural part of the Chilterns, the choice of a diesel powered SUV was a relatively straight forward one. With a young family the practicality of the DS won! (ok, and I really, really wanted a Land Rover!)

My current manual vehicle uses the 1.4 multi air (170bhp) petrol engine, where we get around 32mpg. Any improvement on that will be a bonus, especially now that diesel is at price parity with petrol.

I just really hope JLR are not up to the same tricks as the german manufacturers have been found to adopt when meeting emission regs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
[/quote]Agree with you Loopylumpy, DS doesn't like short journeys and hates towing.[/quote]

Have to disagree with you on this one, just done a long trip to Scotland, Towing large caravan, avg 28.2 When we unhooked the caravan at the site, l reset the trip, back up to 35.6 for all the days out.
 
1 - 20 of 242 Posts
Top