Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whilst dithering at the dealers about whether to cancel my HSE black edition yesterday, the dealer mentioned that getting front bumper repairs done by 3rd parties will invalidate the LR warranty due to the impact it could have on the AEB sensors. Only LR approved repairers can be used to repair / spray front bumpers.

Just when we thought the AEB controversy might be tailing off....

Any thoughts on this ?

·
Registered
796 Posts
The AEB uses the stereo cameras ... the pedestrian air bag sensors are in the front of the bumper

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for clarifying. So, same question, minus the AEB. Anyone had to get front bumper repaired ?

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Dealer is trying it on with you as said AEB on DS is via camers behind mirror nothing to do with sensors on bumper, if they didn't know that they shouldn't be selling cars.

Why on earth would they mention front bumper repairs to you, would have thought that if you were talking about cancelling the order they would have been talking about positives on the car.

·
Registered
232 Posts
So of you scuff the front bumper you can't get the bloke from Chipsaway to mend it?

I'm sure that's a load of rubbish. If genuine parts are used etc. is there not some EU law forbidding that sort of practice? The one where you can get a car serviced and repaired anywhere so long as they use genuine parts.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I think if you have to have the whole bumper replaced it may be different, but if it's a slight body repair I don't see how it would affect the warranty.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Was your dealer trying to sell you Land Rover insurance products by any chance?
Sounds like a ruse to put the fear of God into you for daring to use an insurer of your choice.
Or just plain stupid advice.
That said it did have me wondering what happens after the pedestrian airbag is deployed? These days if airbags are deployed internally the vehicle is an instant write off as to repair become a legal liability. Same with external airbags? Or do they just replace the complete unit on the bonnet and off you go?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Loopylumpy said:
So of you scuff the front bumper you can't get the bloke from Chipsaway to mend it?
That's exactly what the dealer was saying. The method of bumper repair can affect the sensors inside the bumper and therefore invalidate the LR warranty.

The dealer wasn't trying to sell me anything and actually was not in his interests to tell me as I was already v. grumpy at the new black undershields and was close to cancelling. So far he's been straight down the line and ahead of the game vs. some dealers I read about on this forum.

Might be worth someone else asking their dealers for clarification.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.