Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Just wondering what options exist for carrying four bikes with a roof box installed? It's not clear to me what the roof capacity is, but I am hoping two bikes can be safely carried alongside a roof box. Presumably therefore I need a tow bar or whatever to carry two more bikes at the rear. Is this the correct/optimal configuration?

This is only for occasional family outings so maybe I can go for a detachable tow bar. But I don't like the fact that the rear undershield needs to be removed to install a tow bar. Can this be easily reinstalled when the tow bar is detached?

Cheers

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hmmm. Looking at the catalogue I'm not sure even a single bike carrier can be installed alongside the "standard" roof boxes, although I'm sure there is an aftermarket roof box which would be slim enough. Does anyone know whether forgoing the roof box altogether will allow four bikes to be carried on the roof?

Also It looks like the fixed tow bar can be installed with the undershield, but I don't understand the restrictions (cannot be installed with 5+2 seating and reduced section spare wheel). So I can have it with 5+2 seating and no spare wheel?

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
LR used to do a narrow but long roof box, it was in the D3/4 accessory list.

·
Registered
562 Posts
weaver said:
Hmmm. Looking at the catalogue I'm not sure even a single bike carrier can be installed alongside the "standard" roof boxes, although I'm sure there is an aftermarket roof box which would be slim enough. Does anyone know whether forgoing the roof box altogether will allow four bikes to be carried on the roof?

Also It looks like the fixed tow bar can be installed with the undershield, but I don't understand the restrictions (cannot be installed with 5+2 seating and reduced section spare wheel). So I can have it with 5+2 seating and no spare wheel?
Saw the LR roof of today fitted on a DS at my dealers. You won't get anything else on the roof with it, that's for sure. Think only 2 bikes can go on to anyway.

As for the detachable towbar, with 5+2 seating you can have the factory fit towbar as long as you don't order the spare wheel. If you order the spare, then you can still have the detachable tow bar, but it will be dealer fit and 50% more expensive. Why, dunno just is that way.

·
Registered
329 Posts
From memory the roof capacity is 75kg

·
Registered
829 Posts
Indeed roof capacity is 75kg though 100kg is absolutely fine. This means that cargo capacity might just be 60kg after bars and roofbox; that in itself limits numbers of bicycles... I never really understood why you would buy the expensive LR roofbox? LR don't produce these themselves and there are much better alternatives offering a lot more capacity

·
Registered
829 Posts
Personally I chose the KAMEI 510:
http://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel4_tab.php/car-accessories/kamei_510_glossy_black_roof_box_no_km440_81440_/[email protected],[email protected]%60tNcUO6nIPYI9lD.Adk4YI

Very robust, fair price, 6yr guarantee, strong German ADAC test results, opens on both sides!, best buy 2014 Auto Express and standard fit by VW, Audi and Mercedes. Combination with Thule one-key wing bars and fitting directly on roof alloys you to change cars without changing bars. Thule does provide a wide range of Windsurf, Bicycle etc clamps. I can fit 2 bicycles next to the 90cm roofbox on an Evoque if needed. 188cm length of KAMEI 510 comes in handy with Skis (was a bit tall long for Evoque and will be just perfect for DS)

·
Registered
329 Posts
I can also vouch for Kamei - absolutely top notch quality. We have a Husky XL http://www.kamei.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel4_tab.php/all-products/kamei_husky_xxl_black_roof_box_left_side_opening_no_km339_0_81339_01_/Qx%40w%2C6M4PHS%2CZGenkQvENtmzVI which is excellent. Best bit, which seems minor, is that the base fits perfectly inside the lid and clips in there meaning it is much smaller to store. Cannot recommend it highly enough.

Edited to say it the same box that's mentioned above - they've just changed the name.

·
Registered
829 Posts
The KAMEI Husky XL is similar to the KAMEI 510. The KAMEI 510 which I bought is some gbp 75 extra for which you get:
- Black METALLIC paint which is less prone to marks from bird droppings in the sun...
(Fits perfectly with Satorini Black metallic by the way!)
- The 510 can be opened on both sides. This is actually quite important as the DS roof is maybe 1,60m wide and is very hard to reach/load/unload the far side with the box opening on just 1 side. Also gives you flexibility if you added a bicycle, canoe or ...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts