Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else had the black paint flake off thie silencers?

Pointed it out to the dealer as one is fine but the nearside now looks bloody awful.

The dealer wasn't interested

·
Registered
15 Posts
Had it on both of mine. The first, the one I ended up rejecting, the dealer did paint. I collected the second from another dealer and they couldn't give a toss. I walked round the other used cars on the forecourt and spotted a few more so I would be surprised if others here have not had it.

I presume you have a spare wheel?

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I have a spare wheel, why?

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's odd that it's only flaking on one which makes the whole thing look even worse. Again I don't expect such nonsense on a car that cost this much. :evil:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Motorcycle exhaust paint worked a treat on mine, I power washed the exhaust to remove most of the flakey bits then gave it two coats of paint this has lasted over six months, there are now another couple of areas that the original coating has lifted off from that need attention so when I get a spare half hour I will give it all another coat or two and it should be fine for another six months or so.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The car isn't even two years old. Whatever they did to coat it isn't fit for purpose

·
Registered
261 Posts
Yep had the same problem on mine (single box silencer) at approx 12 months old, dealer replaced under warranty, replacement absolutely fine 2+ years on and power washed regularly, have to agree though it's just not good enough on a supposedly premium brand (not)

·
Registered
736 Posts
MY15 has always looked 'patchy' so do all the others I see :mrgreen:

·
Registered
397 Posts
I had flaking paint on rear muffler boxes both sides of my 7-seater and dealer has re-painted under warranty without question - THERE IS A CODE FOR THIS ON THE LR WARRANTY SYSTEM. Did a great job, looks even better and the paint looks thicker and is lasting perfectly.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll ring the dealer tomorrow and tell them to sort it when it's in there in a couple of weeks for the warranty replacement of the rear seat mechanism.

Not prepared to be fobbed off again

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Chris b said:
I had flaking paint on rear muffler boxes both sides of my 7-seater and dealer has re-painted under warranty without question - THERE IS A CODE FOR THIS ON THE LR WARRANTY SYSTEM. Did a great job, looks even better and the paint looks thicker and is lasting perfectly.
You wouldn't happen to have said code would you?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Sorry to be slow as I unsubscribed the thread (could have PM'd me)

warranty code "AV4"

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No worries, got it done under warranty at a different dealer, no issues at all. A better dealer all round actually.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Look at the state of the exhaust boxes on my 67' plate Discovery Sport!

There was no way I was going to lye under a two and a half year old car, which cost me almost £50k, and start painting the rusted parts.

I simply cannot believe the exhaust isn't a stainless system, and don't understand why this seems to be the only model in the whole Land Rover/Range Rover line up which has a painted exhaust.

Dealer has suggested painting them again, but I'm not satisfied with that.

The factory finish is simply not fit for purpose, and the metal is now showing signs of rust. Painting the back boxes again is only a short term solution, as it will reoccur for sure.

I intend to push for a new exhaust system under warranty.

Overall, I think the build quality is absolutely $hit! 🤬

Automotive tire Tread Bumper Gas Kitchen appliance

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
I raised this with the Sheffield main dealer, Guy Salmon, about my Nov 2018 Landmark edition with spare wheel (which has just covered 9,000 miles after 20 months). The answer was that the paint was applied as a protection for delivery only and is designed to come off leaving the bright steel finish. They were not prepared to do anything at all under warranty.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Don't be robbed off: quoting myself earlier " Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:23 pm
I had flaking paint on rear muffler boxes both sides of my 7-seater and dealer has re-painted under warranty without question - THERE IS A CODE FOR THIS ON THE LR WARRANTY SYSTEM. Did a great job, looks even better and the paint looks thicker and is lasting perfectly."
Good luck!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Chris,
Do you know any detail of the LR warranty code which I can quote back to Guy Salmon - I think it will help in the argument I need to have with them?

Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
aingarth said:
Chris,
Do you know any detail of the LR warranty code which I can quote back to Guy Salmon - I think it will help in the argument I need to have with them?

Thanks
no issues with Hatfields just had service 3/9/2020 mentioned paint on back box's. being done at paint shop under warranty
think code is "AV4" on warranty system.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.