Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can some kind person do me a favour and take a photo of the underneath of their DS at the rear on a car with 7 seats & no spare to show me what the panel behind the rear grey plastic valance and the exhaust looks like.

In addition, can anyone who has their car with factory fit quick release tow bar see if theirs looks like mine. Looks very low rent & not happy. Reported to my dealer who agrees. Seems they hack the panel out with a disc cutter to expose the tow hitch. I feel it could have been done a lot more sympathetically then mine. Looked on Topix and it appears correct, but the void is too large IMHO.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I agree, that's looks over cut and badly cut, the last photo shows what looks to be a twisted edge?

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Think I will get it done again!

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Factory!

·
Registered
741 Posts
Seen a DS 7seater with spare wheel at the stealers today and it had a removable towbar.

Sadly as with the RRE JLR towbars are a joke design. If i want to spend the money to have a detachable bar I want to do so cos its hidden. They really do need to catch up with their competion. If you have a choice do not go for a spare wheel and towbar it look ugly as sin. As a former RRE owner dare I say it makes the RRE detachable option look good.

Wait a few months and see what non Thule bars are on the market. I had a completely hidden no cutting required Westfalia on previous FL2 and RRE with no cutting and nothing visible (including the electrics) unlike the Thule one for the RRE that need a 4x2" cut and all the electircs permenantly on show.

I cannot believe that is a factory bar - it must have been done by the stealers as the bumper would have been moulded differently if it was factory fitted - they haven't got time to cut these things on the line. The assembly workers will just have taken it from line side stock and fitted to the car and then repeat and repeat and repeat etc etc.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BFGDSMan said:
I cannot believe that is a factory bar - it must have been done by the stealers as the bumper would have been moulded differently if it was factory fitted - they haven't got time to cut these things on the line. The assembly workers will just have taken it from line side stock and fitted to the car and then repeat and repeat and repeat etc etc.
Hence, I want evidence from anyone else who also has the factory fit detachable towbar....photos please...

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I have one fitted ( I hope) but you may have to wait a few days, I am due to collect Saturday but it's not at the dealers yet.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've gone for the factory fit option too, so would be really keen to see any other examples. I'm changing my order if they are all like that. I feel your pain Triple7 :(

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Been to Dealers today. I can confirm this is the finish on the factory fit towbar. Out of the 8+ DS they had on site, 6 had the factory tow bar (3 of these were just rolling off the delivery transporter when we arrived) & to varying degrees had the rear underside plastic shield cut like this with a circular saw at the factory.

Dealer contacting product support to register dissatisfaction.

Case closed for now.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I now predict delays on cars fitted with factory fit tow bar, until they get a higher quality blade from screw fix :lol:

Is it really necceasery to cut such a large hole :?:

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
That's ridiculous, the hole is that big you could almost fit the spare wheel we can't have. I expect mine will be as bad.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Why no tailor made part? It's made of plastic, so must be easy to mould. Anyway the cutout is way too wide!

Anyone on here Chief disc cutter at Halewood? Pass on the message, it looks shit!

LR make me a proper part for my £40k DS FFS!

The showroom DS!...

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Not looking forward to this element of my new car. I too opt for the factory fit detachable toe bar hoping for a neat tiny hole just enough to deal with the attachment. Sounds not to be the case. It's most worrying that they feel happy to have a gaping hole to the under carrage of the car.
Starting to regret me decision to move early on the DS.
Friend had the Evoque with same tow bar I'll check his out next week to compare.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My DS is not coming until May and I have gone for a FF TOW bar. I will not accept the car if is fitted that badly. LR can't seriously expect customers to accept that standard of workmanship and poor quality.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Me too. End of May delivery. Seriously considering amending my order to remove this option. Not what I expect of a £40k car.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I would guess that come May it will be neater after the rest of us have voiced our dissatisfaction.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Moose said:
I would guess that come May it will be neater after the rest of us have voiced our dissatisfaction.
Very much. My Twitter campaign begins tomorrow!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Have you managed to sort this out yet. I really hope mine does not turn up like that. I'm considering not accepting the car if it does.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.