Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it seems the facelifted Evoque, info due to be released 23 Feb, will not only have adaptive LED lights, but also feature the 'an all new line up of engines', note the plural. So it seems the 2016MY DS may well be the the 'one' to get?

Not sure how I feel about that politics of introducing the 1st edition DS with the old running gear, while the Evoque gets the all singing dancing new stuff. Oh well....

·
Registered
323 Posts
It seems that the DS spec offering is mirroring that which BMW did with the first X3. Launch with existing engines in a high trim level only, then at a suitable point in time open up the lower spec cars and the engines everyone really wants (perhaps). just guessing!

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
It make good business sense to start with an older engine and good spec, Personnaly I am happy with an older but sorted engine.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I'm all for the old engine (my DS will be suitably equipped), however if everyone is waiting for the new one, then the What Car? assessment of XE (with the new.engine) isn't a brilliant review "This diesel engine is remarkably efficient, but it isn't particularly strong and you'll need to think ahead for overtakes." Hope the DS application is better!

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Natwest said:
I'm all for the old engine (my DS will be suitably equipped), however if everyone is waiting for the new one, then the What Car? assessment of XE (with the new.engine) isn't a brilliant review "This diesel engine is remarkably efficient, but it isn't particularly strong and you'll need to think ahead for overtakes." Hope the DS application is better!
Yes, I accept the business case for doing it.

Yes, seems a little gruff, but that is also the 180-ish BHP, we need a +200BHP torquey unit for the DS/Evoque, still not heard a peep about.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I'm totally content with the current engine as it's a known quantity, and never been interested in the Evoque anyway. I pulled off DS and Evoques in same colour and very similar specs from configurators and made 360 deg side by side images inc interiors. The DS looks just as upmarket as the Evoque and more 'grown up' and practical. Maybe they need a quick update to Evoque specs to widen the margin between them, as choosing the DS is a no brainer at the moment - the perfect all-rounder.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We the info on the new Evoque is out, aside new LEDs and option of Active Driveline the new engines are as follows...

New Ingenium engines are for the 2WD eD4 148bhp 317ft/lb. and it appears the bigger diesel for the 4WD Evoque is 178bhp 317ft/lb. Compares to our SD4 2.2 187bhp 309ft/lbs.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
RR's will get that grill, Discovery will stick with the two bar IMHO.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Yes could be, they do perhaps need to make each line look a little different.

·
Registered
829 Posts
MY2016 Evoques and DS are clearly sharing lots of technology and new options!
Press release of Evoque does mention getting more aligned with RR Sport and I read the word optional a lot which means Evoque is going to be expensive...

Interesting details on new engines:

The all-aluminium Ingenium TD4 engine, 20-30kg lighter than its predecessor (HAD EXPECTED MORE)

with stiff cylinder blocks and decoupled injectors ensuring low levels of vibration and noise intrusion, is available in two power outputs: 150PS offering fuel economy of up to 68mpg* (4.2 l/100km) and class-leading CO2 emissions of 109g/km*, while the potent 180PS unit offers 59mpg* (4.8 l/100km) and CO2 emissions from 125g/km*. (SEEMS 180PS VERSION IS ALWAYS 4WD AND GUESS NOT LONG BEFORE DS 2.0 DIESEL IN 4WD TO ARRIVE)

The 150PS unit is 18% more fuel efficient versus the Evoque's previous diesel engines.
A range of advanced features have been applied to the Ingenium engines to ensure outstanding environmental performance, including variable valve timing and a series of low friction technologies. Selective catalytic reduction and a new low-pressure exhaust gas recirculation system significantly reduce NOx emissions.
Service intervals have been extended from 16,000 miles to 21,000** miles to reduce running costs on the new lightweight engines.

The 2016 model year Evoque is also offered with Land Rover's advanced 240PS Si4 petrol engine. Delivering strong performance, Si4 derivatives can accelerate from 0-100km/h (0-62mph) in just 7.6 seconds and achieve a top speed of 217km/h (135mph), and return fuel economy of 36mpg* (7.8 l/100km) and CO2 emissions of 181g/km*.
(OLD FORD ENGINE?)

Efficient Capability
The 2016 model year Range Rover Evoque will be the first Land Rover vehicle to be designated as an 'E-Capability' variant. The most efficient models will wear a blue 'Evoque' badge, applied to the eD4 109g/km (coupe) and 113g/km (five-door) front-wheel drive models
(SINCE DS eD4 AND EVOQUE eD4 WEIGHT NEARLY THE SAME, CO2 IS ALSO JUST 6GR MORE)

, as well as the 125g/km all-wheel drive derivative, highlighting the status of Land Rover's most efficient vehicles.
(4WD ADDS 12 GR CO2 AND SOME 80KG WEIGHT)

·
Registered
829 Posts
- Does anyone (who works at LR) know why BMWs, Porsches etc produce less CO2 and use less fuel with ZF automatic gearboxes yet at LR the automatic versions are always less efficient?

- Also noted that a manual 150bhp 2WD uses 20% less fuel than the same engine in automatic 4WD; serious difference in my view and explains why 2WD versions will only be manual for now...

Attachments

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I note LR are calling the igneium engine the ole TD4 again, I guess the SD4 will be along in 3 years?!

So road tax on the SD4 2.2 £205/yr & £110-130 on a DS equipped with the TD4 2.0. Not much in it. MPG seems better, but in the real world I expect the 2.2 to be low 30's & the 2.0 to probably be high 30's.

My main interest in the Ingenium is whether it sounds like a tractor or not. I passed a 2.0D Jag XE the other day, seems they are testing the new models on the A303 as usual just prior to launch.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.