Discovery Sport Forum banner
21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Hi there - I can confirm that the p300e CAN decide to overrule the engine mode set by the driver (Hybrid, EV & Save. So for example:

1. When in Save (ICE only, to preserve battery life for later), it does occasionally use the electric motor. However, it does this sensibly, when it needs a bit more push, such as climbing a steep hill. I used Save today on a 10 mile drive along a route with very steep up & down sections. The EV was used for about 3 miles - but it ended with a full battery. It's totally logical & sensible.

2. When in EV it again uses the ICE on occasions. This can happen in a wide variety of circumstances - all sensible - e.g. steep hills, fast acceleration (e.g. pulling out of a side road to join rapid traffic), when it's very low temp, when the battery level is getting fairly low (not necessarily empty - but only 2 or 3 miles range left), and (always) when you want 4 wheel drive. When the ICE kicks in it typically stays on for 30 seconds or more, even if the reason for it starting has passed - I understand this is related to issues of oil/engine wear.

3. In hybrid it obviously jumps between EV & ICE. However, to get it to do this most economically it is important to tell the p300e where you are going via the sat nav. Once it knows your route (& can calculate likely gradients & car speeds) it makes the most sensible choices. This means you get to the destination with an almost flat battery, whatever the distance you travel. So 30 mile route = flat battery. 40 mile route = flat battery. 60 mile route = flat battery. (With increasing amounts of petrol used.) It's a good system.

As a matter of interest, I get just over 30 mpg in Save (ICE only) mode. And 90% of my journeys I use virtually zero petrol as they're EV-only journeys (commuting/school runs/shopping).

G

·
Thanks Simon - I think I am slowly getting my head around the operation by following your posts!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all, collected mine on Friday and did a longish trip, yesterday, near all motorway. Started full charged and fuelled, did 39 MPG over 117 miles using hybrid mode with satnav destination set, 22.5 of which were EV only miles. Later coming back starting with an empty battery managed 33 MPG over 98 miles. That was sticking to speed limits and using ACC. Overall not too bad but my previous D180 would have done circa 40 MPG on the same trip. However, most of the car's journeys will be much shorter journeys which will suit the PHEV much better - I know someone who has done 1300 miles on one tank as they do short journeys pretty much exclusively. The car's comfort and refinement, in battery mode around town, or using the engine on the motorway is excellent - 70MPG cruise is at 2000 rpm.

One thing that did surprise me, and contrary to what I have read elsewhere.. After exhausting the battery within 40 miles or so on the first journey, later on it started to recharge the battery, either through brake regen or using the engine, or both, to give me 12 miles of electric range. This meant that as I left the motorway I had battery power to do the last few miles to my destination. I would be surprised if brake regen could do all of that so it must have been from the engine. It did the same on the way back too, so 6 of those 98 miles were EV.

I took it on smaller trip today in EV mode and it started on the engine for about a minute before turning it off and running the rest of the trip on battery only.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Okay, quick update from me - had the vehicle about two month.

Still love the car (Disco Sport p300e). I'd describe it as refined. Does so many things well. VERY impressed the seamless way it moves between EV & ICE as and when it needs to.

In terms of charging up: The full charge varies (temp dependant) between 27 - 31 miles when full. I'm told that will be much closer to the advertised 34 miles in warmer times (i.e. summer). The actual mileage I get on EV only again varies dependant upon the terrain. Where I live is very hilly - some very steep climbs. I get an actual mileage of about 20-25 miles. On ICE only over the same hilly terrain I get around 30 mpg. I've done 1,200 miles and I've only used half a tank of petrol! The secret is journeys of around 20 miles (commuting/school runs/shopping) and getting into a routine of plugging it in once home. We've changed to an electricity tariff that offers electricity at about 20% (from memory) the normal rate between midnight & 5 AM. I have programmed the car to charge after 12:30 AM every night - if it's plugged in it does so. If it's already fully charged I don't plug it in. It's second-nature to me now. And it won't let you drive away with it plugged in!

Obvious statement: IF I was mainly doing journeys over, say, 30 miles, a diesel would still be the way to go (in my opinion). And I wouldn't want an EV-only vehicle at the moment given the really patchy availability of charging stations - some are in use when you want them - some are broken - and many large blanks on the charging map.

Hope that's some use.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a Discovery sport phev (arrived in Nov) and I generally get around 24 miles on a full charge. It has been very cold recently and I believe that can affect the range. It's definitely not close to the 40 miles advertised and I know these figures are often a bit unrealistic but I'm hoping it'll do better in the summer!
I've just written my first post on the Introductions area of the forum.. as I have a question about the charging. If you have a sec would you mind having a look as it would be super helpful to get some input from another PHEV owner!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
HolStormy said:
I have a Discovery sport phev (arrived in Nov) and I generally get around 24 miles on a full charge. It has been very cold recently and I believe that can affect the range. It's definitely not close to the 40 miles advertised and I know these figures are often a bit unrealistic but I'm hoping it'll do better in the summer!
I've just written my first post on the Introductions area of the forum.. as I have a question about the charging. If you have a sec would you mind having a look as it would be super helpful to get some input from another PHEV owner!
I'll have a look at your new post later - but quick response to the advertised mileage for our vehicle. In the early publicity material the figure of 38 miles was mentioned (for the Disco Sport PHEV) - the Evoque PHEV, being lighter, was originally advertised at 42 miles I believe. Then about August/September (months after I'd ordered mine!) the Disco Sport figure was reduced to 34 miles.

The best I've ever had (in terms of full charge) has been 32 miles. I'm hoping in warm weather I'll get the elusive 34 miles.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
32 miles achieved against a published 34. That's approx 94%. I would be very happy with that.

My I pace never achieved better than 83%

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
pcheaven said:
32 miles achieved against a published 34. That's approx 94%. I would be very happy with that.

My I pace never achieved better than 83%
Sorry I've not been very clear. I quote two main sets of numbers:

1. What the vehicle states is its range immediately after a full charge. That's the figure that varies around (typically just below) 30 miles. The best this has been is 32.

2. The actual road mileage achieved whilst driving. As with most EVs, this figure is lower than the indicated range after a full charge. For me I get an actual mileage of about 20-25 miles - but this is in winter ANF in very hilly terrain.

These two numbers have always been different. As you'd expect, 1 is higher than 2. But the higher 1, the higher 2.

Hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi guys purchased for wife disco sport p300e 24/11/2020 1332 miles in 3 weeks 3 days at landrover erratic fuel level max range fully fueled and charged only 338miles had software update went to 428 miles with 21% charge but now back to sub 400 miles with full charge and full fuel also our car has only charged once to 34 miles now only achiving 26 miles charge wanting to reject vehicle due to none confirmaty of actual figures please note any evouque p300e readers there have been a buliten about fuel arm issue requires replacing but not effecting discovery sport like some feed back if poss on peoples thoughts ours also trips and most charge stations we have taken to free one and pay ones

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Craigs260682 said:
Hi guys purchased for wife disco sport p300e 24/11/2020 1332 miles in 3 weeks 3 days at landrover erratic fuel level max range fully fueled and charged only 338miles had software update went to 428 miles with 21% charge but now back to sub 400 miles with full charge and full fuel also our car has only charged once to 34 miles now only achiving 26 miles charge wanting to reject vehicle due to none confirmaty of actual figures please note any evouque p300e readers there have been a buliten about fuel arm issue requires replacing but not effecting discovery sport like some feed back if poss on peoples thoughts ours also trips and most charge stations we have taken to free one and pay ones
I'm currently getting 26 ish miles per full charge - but this doesn't concern me because it's often been 2 or 3 degrees of frost (overnight whilst charging). Batteries are a lot less efficient in cold weather. I'm confident I'll get closer to 34 when we get into spring & then summer.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Craigs260682 said:
The electric millage is an "upto" figure. It entirely depends on the driving style you apply while using the battery mode. Same with any car. If you could reject a car based on it not hitting it's claimed MPG every man and his dog would be ditching off their cars! I don't think I've seen a single car manufacturer claim accurate MPG or battery millage so far in my life time. At the end of the day, the millage and MPG are calculated from a single, automated driving cycle which is identical for all cars. How you drive in the real world could be totally different.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for your reply I'm just concerned as it's dropped from one charge at 34 to 26 actual range around 13 miles, also when setting off when in hybrid mode and it's running on ev power when switching to ice power we get a pound clunk do you get this also our fuel range has been around 250 max miles can I ask when fully charged and fully fueled what is your totall range our has been max 350

·
Registered
3 Posts
I get the fact also about published to actual but seems lot lower than most family member has same car supplied in October and currently is getting 32 miles charge and when fully charged and fueled is getting 450plus miles total range

·
Registered
612 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·

·
Registered
1 Posts
My p300e SE is only managing to charge to 21 miles. Outside temperature 11C, no A/C on. It's been back to the dealer 3 times for testing. Data was sent to Land Rover who concluded it was operating as they expected(?!). Having seen a number of postings on this same issue, I'm starting to think there's more fundamental fault in the car.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Perhaps I'm missing something here, but on the diesel model the indicated range is based on recent mpg, which is down to driving style, type of journey, etc. I'd assume that electric range is calculated in the same way?

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
ADNI said:
My p300e SE is only managing to charge to 21 miles. Outside temperature 11C, no A/C on. It's been back to the dealer 3 times for testing. Data was sent to Land Rover who concluded it was operating as they expected(?!). Having seen a number of postings on this same issue, I'm starting to think there's more fundamental fault in the car.
temperature hugly impacts range. I had an IPAce for a year. Cold weather dropped the real world range by 30% easily.

Is there an option to precondition the battery before departure ( when connected to the house charger ), this will improve range, as when its cold some energy is used to warm the battery!

This should easily bring you up to the 25 mile real world range you would expect fro a P300e

·
Registered
23 Posts
When I took delivery mid January I was charging to 30 miles at 100%. This dropped gradually as I drove and recharged and has ended up at 23 miles. The actual range I can get is 22, so very close to the prediction.

I agree that the car is taking into account recent historic driving style and weather to calculate it's predicted range.

My dealer's managers that are driving the same vehicle are getting slightly worse than me. I guess they drive harder.

I understand this behaviour to be correct and expect some increased predictions and actual range as the weather improves into Spring and Summer

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just to add my experience to this chat. On the first few charges it was reporting around 28-30 miles via the phone app. The cold weather hit and that dropped to 24 miles for the last 4 or 5 charges. I was out all day in it yesterday, mainly motorway driving. Charged it overnight in warmer conditions, the app is now reporting a range of 28 miles.....much more like I expected.

21 - 40 of 71 Posts