Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm guessing that the EV battery range of the Disco Sport & Evoque p300e is very important to owners & potential owners. For me it is critical - I wouldn't have ordered/taken delivery of the vehicle without the promise of using the car entirely in EV mode for most of my commuting/shopping/school runs. My car as a whole is (I think) wonderful - I've got the Disco Sport R-Dynamic S p300e - but ultimately, the EV range is the most important part of the specification for me.

Therefore I've started to record the battery charge immediately prior to driving. (You might know, that for the Disco Sport, this was originally advertised as 38, being reduced to 34 just before I took delivery.) But what would the car actually charge to?

Over many charges (typically daily & overnight) I've had an initial range of between 29-32 miles. If you've got one, how does that compare with yours?

Calculating the actual mileage achieved is a lot more complex for a number of reasons: Type of terrain, enthusiasm with the accelerator, temperature, and does the ICE kick-in at certain points (which it will do, even in EV mode, if you accelerate briskly). I will try to work out some figures for this in due course, and post here.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Thank you for taking the time to post your initial findings Simon.

With the mornings noticeably colder now, I would be interested to see how the EV range pans out, as this will give an indication as to how much additional strain is on the drive battery. Please keep this thread updated as and when you can.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Yes keep us posted Simon, I cancelled my PHEV order as I wanted to know the truth on the real world EV range as well as how good is the new hybrid technology in general b4 I parted with £50k, I just couldn't trust LR after the D180 oil dilution fiasco. Thinking of coming back for one in the spring though.
Just as a discussion topic & I fully accept it's no LR in terms of looks or ability, I've posted below part of yesterday's Toyota RAV4 PHEV press release, Interesting as they've pitched it at very near the DS price range! Is this going to worry Land Rover enough for them to improve the EV range & emissions of the DS sooner rather than later? (Toyota EV range, emissions & reliability are vey good but I don't think I could spend £50k on a car with no feel good factor)

"The All New RAV4 Plug-in Hybrid takes the thrilling attitude of the original and adds more of everything. More power, efficiency, refinement and with the new chargeable battery, an even greater driving range in electric mode."

Furthermore, the price is just as exciting. RAV4 Plug-in Hybrid Dynamic starts from £47,395, with the RAV4 Plug-in Hybrid Dynamic Premium from £50,895. Click the link below to explore the specs.
Find out more
Enhanced EV performance

A new high-capacity lithium-ion battery in the RAV4 Plug-in Hybrid reaches 46 miles* on a single charge and speeds of up to 62mph* on pure electric power.

*Battery charge and driving conditions permitting.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Interesting. Thanks

I am waiting until I can get a test drive before ordering. So probably next year March some time ......

( and hoping they replace the crap premium led lights with candles or halogen, in fact anything )

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As a digression, there is the interesting question of the ICE-only mpg. The quoted figures (from Land Rover) involve the vehicle being driven in Hybrid mode. But what sort of fuel consumption will we get if we drive, say, 300 miles, without a break to re-charge?

Today I drove just under 4 miles, entirely powered by the ICE. After a cold start, some urban stopping-and-starting, and gently climbing upwards from the centre of Sheffield to the hilly suburbs, I was still disappointed with the mpg. I recorded 16 mpg - which I felt was low, even given the circumstances.

You might ask why I used the ICE when I'd got a fully charged battery for EV? The answer is that the car jumps out of EV mode if you accelerate briskly. At the start I pulled out of a side road (in EV mode) and to safely join the traffic I accelerated quickly to get up-to-speed and slot into the gap. This wasn't flooring the pedal, just the normal increase in speed that's needed 95% of the time in these situations. This results in the car firing up the ICE. I'd assumed it would return to EV only after a 100 m or so (because it was in EV mode), but it didn't. I'm guessing the management system decided with a cold car, me warming my bottom with the electric-heated seats, and some gentle climbing, it felt the ICE was the way to go. It appears you can't force it to be EV only when the vehicle thinks it's best to use the ICE. Annoying.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Driving a petrol DS and getting 16mpg on 2.5 miles into town from cold at 2 deg C, that sounds OK to me given it's a smaller engine lugging a battery and electric drivetrain around in the PHEV.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Agreed. It doesn't sound terrible, given the cycle.

Really depends on your average speed

My D240 is similar or short urban journeys

·
Registered
899 Posts
Simon, interesting point you make about how vehicle decides which mode it will use: ice or battery. I'm sure plenty of folks out there will think that they can fully charge their car every night and reap the benefits of electric vehicle operation for their short daily commute!!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Could it be that the car decides if battery was too cold ? Hence the reason for pre conditioning from electricity mains power before setting off?

G

·
Following this with interest as a P300e will likely replace my D150 next year - particularly as most of our journeys are now sub 10 miles. Had thought that most would be in pure battery but know a little confused... is there no way to 'lock' the car into electric only or make sure it returns to electric if the ICE is needed temporarily?

·
Registered
339 Posts
It looks as if pre conditioning is essential in cold weather as the handbook states EV will not operate if battery is too cold as well as other scenarios mentioned below. (Copied from owners manual)

ELECTRIC VEHICLE (EV) MODE

NOTES
The Electric Vehicle (EV) mode does not enable if the ambient temperature is too cold.

The EV mode uses the electric motor. The engine restarts if it is required to support high driving demands.

Deactivating the auto stop/start system also deactivates the EV mode. See DEACTIVATING AUTO STOP/START.

CAUTION
Make sure to deactivate the auto stop/start system if the vehicle is to be driven through water, i.e., wading. In this event, the engine should be used at all times. Failure to do so can result in damage to the vehicle.

Press the EV icon located on the lower touchscreen to cycle through the EV modes.

The EV modes available are:

HYBRID: Operation of the electric motor and the engine is automatically determined by the vehicle, depending on the driving conditions and driver demand. The predictive energy optimisation feature automatically operates if a navigation route is set. See PREDICTIVE ENERGY OPTIMISATION.

EV: Electric vehicle mode.

SAVE. See SAVE.

When the EV mode is selected, confirmation is displayed in the instrument panel. See HYBRID VEHICLE INFORMATION.

NOTES
The engine may stay on longer than expected under certain conditions. These include:

- During engine re-learning following vehicle handover or a software update.

- To help reduce premature ageing of the engine oil.

Operation of the engine suspends operation of the EV mode. In this event, the EV message illuminates grey in the instrument panel to confirm the status change.

The following conditions may prevent the EV mode being enabled, or may prompt an engine restart if the EV mode is already active:

Selecting Sport (S). See AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION.

Mud ruts or sand program is selected. See TERRAIN RESPONSE OPERATION.

A steering wheel paddle shift is used to select a gear. See AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION.

The wade sensing feature is currently active. See WADE SENSING.

The auto stop/start system is deselected. See DEACTIVATING AUTO STOP/START.

The vehicle's battery charge levels are too low.

The vehicle's batteries are not at the required operating temperature.

The vehicle's current power demand exceeds the electrical power capability, displayed in the instrument panel's power gauge. See HYBRID VEHICLE INFORMATION.

High demand from the heating and ventilation systems.

The bonnet is opened.

The ambient temperature is less than -4°C.

In all of the previously listed events, the instrument panel displays a relevant message. Also, the instrument panel does not illuminate the EV message

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Paul, that's really useful information.

G

·
Thanks for the explanation. Does this mean you have to precondition every time you take it out for a short run if the weather is cold (how cold?) or is it a once a day thing?

Starting to think a pure petrol may be more practical...

·
Registered
339 Posts
It really not clear even from the owners manual, in fact it doesn't even say if pre conditioning raises the battery temperature at all from what I have read so far, it just says it helps the car start as well as heating the cabin ( in order to preserve battery power I presume) There are so many unknowns concerning this hybrid version & that is the main reason I cancelled my order recently, I'm also thinking of going pure petrol or even diesel again (I haven't seen many if any recent posts complaining about the newer diesels on here recently, even my D180 has not given any problems (DPF etc) over 4 years and that's with many short journeys) if my head ruled my heart then I would also be looking at the new Toyota RAV4 PHEV (it's interesting that Toyota are using a heat pump to keep the battery at optimum operating temperature & for pre conditioning the cabin)

·
Registered
339 Posts
VEHICLE PRECONDITIONING OVERVIEW

WARNING
Make sure all relevant safety warnings have been read and understood before driving the vehicle. See VEHICLE PRECONDITIONING SAFETY .

The timed climate preconditioning system, when in operation, provides a comfortable temperature inside the cabin, in advance of using the vehicle. The timed climate preconditioning system also assists vehicle start in low temperatures. When leaving the vehicle for a short period of time, using the Precondition now option can also maintain a temperature.

Timed departure preconditioning can be controlled via the touchscreen controls. See DEPARTURE TIMES.

The manual preconditioning can be controlled via the touchscreen controls. See DEPARTURE TIMES.

The timed climate system may not operate, or switches off automatically, in the following scenarios:

If the vehicle's high voltage battery charge is low.

If the coolant temperature is subjected to extreme cold climate conditions. In extreme cold climate conditions, if an engine pre-heater is fitted, it overrides a vehicle preconditioning program.

If the system has been in operation for 30 minutes.

If a timed event has been activated within the previous 30 minutes.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
On my I pace. I was pretty sure the high voltage (motor) battery the temperature was adjusted for optimum battery health. This was documented in the manual

So, logic would suggest the DS would do the same.
However I don't see it in the manual.

In reality on my ipace. I never used the feature as Pre set departure times never worked ( terrible software which I understand is now fixed )

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Found this on the LR site

Owners can automatically pre-condition the battery and cabin temperature before starting a journey: using mains power to do this when the vehicle is plugged in rather than drawing energy from the battery when you start driving maximises range and enhances occupant comfort.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
There's a guy ranting (well, I'd call it ranting) over on Pistonheads over his EV range and the fact that the ICE keeps cutting in when he has EV mode selected, and as a result he's only getting 17mpg.

Can anyone with a DS PHEV confirm if the ICE does or doesn't cut in when in EV mode? This guy wants to use EV only for the predicted range of the battery, but the ICE cutting in is preventing this.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I read this somewhere else as well.

Most likely, if it does occur, then it may just be a software issue. Probably easily resolved

Maybe he just has lead feet.......

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
pcheaven said:
I read this somewhere else as well.

Most likely, if it does occur, then it may just be a software issue. Probably easily resolved

Maybe he just has lead feet.......
That was my thinking, if he's put it into EV mode and is expecting it take off like a Tesla when he floors it, the ICE is going to kick in. Also, if it's cold and he turns everything heated on, the ICE is going to fire up.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts