Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've had my p300e for a week now and thought i would give a quick update. i am enjoying the drive of the hybrid disco far more than i thought i would, having come from an f type i was a bit apprehensive. this is a 2nd car as i use a diesel astra as my daily mile muncher to do my daily 60 mile commute.
The p300e is lovely to drive with a lower centre of gravity with less body roll than the diesel version which i drove as a demo, in ev mode it is only using the electric motor driving the rear axle but is still powerful enough around town and b roads. car is currently in getting a ceramic coating and should be back by the weekend.

Reactions: Paul41

·
Registered
Urban P300 Black no badges
33 Posts
i've had my p300e for a week now and thought i would give a quick update. i am enjoying the drive of the hybrid disco far more than i thought i would, having come from an f type i was a bit apprehensive. this is a 2nd car as i use a diesel astra as my daily mile muncher to do my daily 60 mile commute.
The p300e is lovely to drive with a lower centre of gravity with less body roll than the diesel version which i drove as a demo, in ev mode it is only using the electric motor driving the rear axle but is still powerful enough around town and b roads. car is currently in getting a ceramic coating and should be back by the weekend.
I’m enjoying mine too (both pretty lucky I think!) - agree with your points esp the lack of roll also pleasantly surprised. I find I am adopting a more sedate style of driving but having that instant power has its uses for overtakes etc.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Very happy with mine so far - driving style has gone from "wow this is quick" to "can I keep the petrol engine off" - the latter without too much compromise in performance. In spite of all the hills, roundabouts and narrow lanes up here, the average consumption is showing around 80mpg and plenty of journeys have hardly troubled the petrol engine at all. It does seem to deliberately run the engine sometimes when it normally wouldn't, I assume just to warm it through and stop it seizing up!

As mentioned above, it doesn't feel like a top-heavy car even compared to my old XF, and it is leagues away from the Freelander Sport I had on loan many years ago. The solar-attenuating windscreen reduces the already low engine noise so that unless accelerating hard, you really have to check the tacho to see if it is running. The Meridian sound isn't stunning but it is a lot better than the standard offering - the only option I could have saved my money on is the heated steering wheel - the combination of pre-warming and the very effective heater (in huge contrast to S2a/S3 models I used to drive!) makes it somewhat superfluous.

One quirk is that if you pull over onto a muddy verge for traffic, it takes a second for the engine to sort itself out and divert power to the appropriate wheels - otherwise I find the Aisin gearbox is smoother than either of the ZF units in the XF and MHEV DS/Evoque/E-Pace - and the regenerative braking is better integrated too. Let's hope I'm still as enthusiastic this time next year when the novelty has worn off.

·
Registered
Urban P300 Black no badges
33 Posts
Very happy with mine so far - driving style has gone from "wow this is quick" to "can I keep the petrol engine off" - the latter without too much compromise in performance. In spite of all the hills, roundabouts and narrow lanes up here, the average consumption is showing around 80mpg and plenty of journeys have hardly troubled the petrol engine at all. It does seem to deliberately run the engine sometimes when it normally wouldn't, I assume just to warm it through and stop it seizing up!

As mentioned above, it doesn't feel like a top-heavy car even compared to my old XF, and it is leagues away from the Freelander Sport I had on loan many years ago. The solar-attenuating windscreen reduces the already low engine noise so that unless accelerating hard, you really have to check the tacho to see if it is running. The Meridian sound isn't stunning but it is a lot better than the standard offering - the only option I could have saved my money on is the heated steering wheel - the combination of pre-warming and the very effective heater (in huge contrast to S2a/S3 models I used to drive!) makes it somewhat superfluous.

One quirk is that if you pull over onto a muddy verge for traffic, it takes a second for the engine to sort itself out and divert power to the appropriate wheels - otherwise I find the Aisin gearbox is smoother than either of the ZF units in the XF and MHEV DS/Evoque/E-Pace - and the regenerative braking is better integrated too. Let's hope I'm still as enthusiastic this time next year when the novelty has worn off.
Agree with all that - had a 200mile run today and the power optimisation appeared to know what it was doing. It burned through 85% of the batt in the early stages then ICE kicked in. It then chopped between EV/ICE as required. Had one lapse of eco when I was ‘forced’ to ‘boot it’ but overall impressed. I think that hybrid technology is attempting a thankless task but LR have had a pretty good stab at it :)

PS a free EV vend at Banbury M&S on the way was a bonus - love Zap map app ability to filter free charging…

1 - 4 of 4 Posts