Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all,
I sat in a slow moving traffic for 20 mins and the engine temp warning came on. I’ve had this issue in the past and it even went on limp mode. LR service centre said they can’t find an issue. My timing just snapped and LR just installed a new engine and I was thinking this issue would’ve been resolved. Is anybody having the same issues? I have zero luck with this vehicle. So frustrating!
Car Speedometer Vehicle Tachometer Odometer

·
Administrator
2016 DS HSE Auto Gas/petrol
748 Posts
there are 5 items that overheating on a car. Yes there are lots of others from collapsed hoses to dragging brakes but not very often.

Thermostat
Water pump
Coolant level
Cooling fan
Radiator.
Since you had the problem prior to the engine change out you should rule out thermostat, water pump and coolant level as all should have replaced and checked with the new engine.

Radiator could be plugged internally or externally. Externally can be fixed with a water hose and lots of water sprayed all over the fins.

It is most likely the cooling fan not starting or running at speed or not getting proper signal from engine temperature sensors or the A/C pressure sensor. I would try to run the car with A/C on and A/C off to see if there is a difference.

Reactions: MarkAE

·
Registered
471 Posts
Does the Ingenium have a thermostat?
Mine was over-cooling and needed a new waterpump. The waterpump not only has the standard impeller but also has an electrically controlled shutter (Valve) that restricts or re-directs the flow, when this shutter fails it is supposed to be driven open by a spring, hence my over cooling.

I notice that you are driving in Eco (why!!) this turns off the air conditioning, when airconditioning is selected one of the fans runs constantly. Is it possible that the other fan has failed or it's circuit has failed and going back to "normal" running would allow the air-conditioning fan to run creating enough air flow across the radiator to cool the engine - worth a try.

Been wading? Have ruined two radiators on the Freelanders by blocking them with mud, the mud (clay) then bakes and is impossible to remove without damage.

Tried Eco once, why would you turn off the air-conditioning and lose a big chunk of power just to save 2mpg?
Enjoy the fact that you have a big, heavy, comfortable car, you are paying a small fortune for the privilege, fuel consumption is a small part of the running cost.

·
Administrator
748 Posts
Eco does not turn off the a/c it just lowers fan speed and a/c performance. I tried economy on several long trips and found it was a pain.

On a long trip with temperature in high 30's cabin could not cool down enough, turned off the eco and bang the fan started blowing faster and cabin became comfortable.
Tried again on a long trip in cooler weather and eco could not maintain speeds in the mountains.
So after 2 long tries I am back to sport mode all the time except in winter if there is snow or ice.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Yep, Eco doesn't turn off the aircon

·
Registered
846 Posts
Never ever had any problems running in Eco mode, in constant use and never found it alters the A/C at all, in both vehicles I’ve had.🧐

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
there are 5 items that overheating on a car. Yes there are lots of others from collapsed hoses to dragging brakes but not very often.

Thermostat
Water pump
Coolant level
Cooling fan
Radiator.
Since you had the problem prior to the engine change out you should rule out thermostat, water pump and coolant level as all should have replaced and checked with the new engine.

Radiator could be plugged internally or externally. Externally can be fixed with a water hose and lots of water sprayed all over the fins.

It is most likely the cooling fan not starting or running at speed or not getting proper signal from engine temperature sensors or the A/C pressure sensor. I would try to run the car with A/C on and A/C off to see if there is a difference.
Thank you! I will speak to our local service centre and have them check the fan. I’ll try to run it with or without the AC. What should I look out for?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does the Ingenium have a thermostat?
Mine was over-cooling and needed a new waterpump. The waterpump not only has the standard impeller but also has an electrically controlled shutter (Valve) that restricts or re-directs the flow, when this shutter fails it is supposed to be driven open by a spring, hence my over cooling.

I notice that you are driving in Eco (why!!) this turns off the air conditioning, when airconditioning is selected one of the fans runs constantly. Is it possible that the other fan has failed or it's circuit has failed and going back to "normal" running would allow the air-conditioning fan to run creating enough air flow across the radiator to cool the engine - worth a try.

Been wading? Have ruined two radiators on the Freelanders by blocking them with mud, the mud (clay) then bakes and is impossible to remove without damage.

Tried Eco once, why would you turn off the air-conditioning and lose a big chunk of power just to save 2mpg?
Enjoy the fact that you have a big, heavy, comfortable car, you are paying a small fortune for the privilege, fuel consumption is a small part of the running cost.
Thanks for the tip!
I tried driving on Eco thinking it would help the overheating.
Definitely not trying to save on the mpg’s. This disco has been my most efficient vehicle in terms of mpg. I used to drive an FJ Cruiser, Wrangler and a Commander which averages about 14-16 mpg lol

·
Administrator
748 Posts
Try to see if the car overheats with A/C running or not.

Good luck and PLEASE get back to us on what the mechanic finds. So many pose a serious problem and drop out of sight.

Reactions: County
1 - 9 of 9 Posts