Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess like many, I'm apt to ignore the dipstick and normally find that the engine oil only rarely needs topping up between services. Accordingly, this is not really a problem but since many will be embarking on long holiday drives…..

Being about to take my DS on holiday - likely to involve 2,000 miles+ - I did a quick check of the Oil and fluid levels etc. All was OK apart from the engine oil level shown on the dipstick being a little on the low side. Erring on the side of prudence a thought I should top it up. Mine is the 'old' 2.2 litre diesel and checking the manual it recommends (as does a sticker on the engine bay) Castrol Edge Professional but also indicates that any oil meeting the Ford specification WSS-M2C934-B / ACEA C1 can be used; though ACEA C2 ban also be used if C1 is not available.

A quick trip to my local Halfords the afternoon before I left and I discovered that they do not stock Castro Edge Professional (they did have several other Edge grades that do NOT comply and a selection of other oils, none of which were either C1 or C2). I checked the Castrol web site which makes no mention of Edge Professional. The morning of intended departure I contacted my nearest Land Rover dealer who advised that they had no suitable oil for a DS; the next nearest said that they had a 'fully synthetic 5w-30' but when I pressed them, they indicated it was C3 grade which I explained to them(!) was not suitable for a diesel with DPF. The third dealership could supply a top-up bottle of Edge Professional which they helpfully explained was specially formulated for JLR and not available in retail outlets. However, they were 50 miles away and would significantly delay departure.

As things were not then critical, I left confident that I would readily find some C1 or C2 5W-30 en-route; after all it is surely the same oil used in the Latest Freelander or the Evoke? How wrong was I!! It seems that such oils are not common and most oil company sites offer little or no guidance, instead referring you to your dealer. Given my experience of that, I spoke with JLR customer services who could not tell me which oil I should use, merely repeating what is in the manual - JLR find it difficult to understand that simply going into a motor factors and asking for WSS-M2C934-B oil merely gets you baffled looks!

By the time I was in the outer Hebrides (where JLR dealers are spotted more often than the Loch Ness monster), I was still trying to buy suitable oil - extensive 'googling' when I could access the internet identified Shell Helix Professional C1 and Mobil 1 5w-30 ESP C2 as suitable but couldn't be found. Pentland Land Rover, Inverness would have been able to supply the Mobil oil but I couldn't get to them until a Sunday when their parts department is closed. Salvation came eventually when I found suitable Mobil oil in a Halfords in Scotland.

The moral of all this is, of course, check your oil level and purchase any top-up in good time (running very low or topping up with the wrong grade will risk serious damage!). But be careful to check what your Land Rover dealer assures you is correct and do not assume you'll easily find an alternative.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Thanks for this information,appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I have dipped my stick a couple of times and found it not wanting. Fnar.

But last time I was in Halfrauds buying oil, I noticed racks and racks of oil which mentioned specific car brands on the label.

Investigation revealed this is coz modern engines have sensors to tell when the oil is degrading, and the oil must match the sensor! I felt sure there was a Ford/PSL oil in the pile but as I wasn't looking for it at the time, can't recall for sure.

OTOH, if it's used enough oil to be "low" in the time you've had it, there's a problem, and the dealer should be involved. It may be they just didn't fill it quite as full as they should at new. Else it's leaking or burning it, neither of which I would expect in a low milage modern engine.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was a little surprised that the dipstick showed the need for some top-up but when I mentioned this to the dealership their service guy said that, with a new engine, initial consumption could be in the region of up to a litre per 1,000 miles! (sounds more likely to be AdBlue consumption) Frankly that sounds very high to me and thankfully mine was not close to that and probably more the case that it was not fully filled initially. My usage over the last 1,000 miles has been undetectable on the dipstick.

Be wary of going by the brands listed on oil bottles. As ccomey says, Ha;fords has several that list Ford but in my experience so far these are WSS-M2C913 (not 934) compliant and not suitable for the diesel DS with a DPF. You will also find oils listing Landrover amongst the brands on the bottle but be careful these are not A4/B5 complaint - again not suitable for the diesel DS.

I've not used Opie Oils and have no reason to think they are not reliable. As has ben said they do supply the Shell Helix Ultra professional - I've not found this at any retail outlet so perhaps this is not readily available on the highstreet/garage.

·
Registered
567 Posts
LR-Phan said:
I dealership their service guy said that, with a new engine, initial consumption could be in the region of up to a litre per 1,000 miles! (sounds more likely to be AdBlue consumption)
Sounds like a Wankel to me... can't believe that is normal oil consumption. I used to have a Mazda RX-8 and its rotary engine used that much oil, but it was designed to inject and burn it for lubrication.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi
I have just done a quick search and Euro Car Parts are listing Shell Helix U P 5W-30 AF-L as being available £11.28 for 1 litre.

Detailed Product Information
Shell Helix Ultra Professional AF-L 5W-30 1LtrTailored to meet engine manufacturers’ special requirements.
- Designed to meet the demanding requirements of particular high-performance engines, including Ford, Jaguar and Mazda, and those requiring ACEA C1.
- Shell is a major supplier to Ford in India and the USA.
- Passes an extensive range of performance tests to meet engine oil specification WSSM2C934-B.
Specifications: > Ford WSS-M2C934-B; > ACEA C1; > Meets the requirements of Jaguar Land Rover STJLR.03.5005;

·
Registered
510 Posts
Intrigued by this. Can't understand why the DS, using the same SD4 190 engine with DPF as Latter FL2s and Evoques should use different oil and sensors to them.

Also, whatever the owners manual says, surely we should be putting in the same oil for top-ups as the dealer will use during routine oil changes, whatever this may be, especially as most of us have the 5 year service option. You can't tell me that they have not had to top up or change the oil on a pre production DS, or current, and they'll stick in what they see fit and we're covered by service warranty.

I have to say that I never had the need to top up in seven years of FL2 ownership, admittedly with the TD4 engine (basically the same lump).

·
Registered
193 Posts
Just checked my oil level, 2.5K miles, it is showing in the top quarter on the Dip Stick so all seems to be ok with consumption, however the oil is jet black, not even a hint of the original amber colour, is this normal for a diesel engine with such low mileage?
Also the User Manual specs oil for diesel engines with and without the DPF, does the UK DS have a DPF?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Hawks
Just checked my oil level, 2.5K miles, it is showing in the top quarter on the Dip Stick so all seems to be ok with consumption, however the oil is jet black, not even a hint of the original amber colour, is this normal for a diesel engine with such low mileage?
I've done just over 2.5K miles and mine still shows some amber colour in it, and it's not used any either.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Diesel car engine oil always turns black due to the soot diesel cars create.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.