Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed the manual for the DS talks about Dynamic mode on the terrain control. However no pictures show this "road" looking icon as an option.
Tried it in a Range Rover Evoque and its nice and makes the dials go red. Anyone know anything about it ?

·
Registered
677 Posts
I'm not 100% but I think it's only available on petrol DSs at the moment.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
J77 said:
I'm not 100% but I think it's only available on petrol DSs at the moment.
Wonder why that is ? It's on the Diesel RR Evoque. It's basically the fancy dampers right ? Something they talk about on all their videos.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sent an email to the dealership to explain it. I will post their reply.

I get the sneaky suspicion we are all NOT getting the fancy dampers fitted.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I think you can specify Magnetic dampers on the Evoque, these are not available on the DS.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Adaptive dampers (computer-controlled magnetorheological shock absorber) were widely advertised in various on-line videos on Youtube (mysteriously they no longer seem to be there) of the upcoming Discovery Sport - along with a number of other 'goodies'. It seems, however, that they were quietly dropped from at least the UK specification sometime in the Autumn last year though at ;east one LR dealer (as I recall in Cumbria) listed them as a feature of the car towards the end of the year. They may, perhaps, be an option outside the UK.

I do, however, seem to remember seeing an 'odd' setting on the rotatory drive selector which I forgot to question; this may be some form of 'sport' mode.

I have previously mentioned other features which were claimed for the DS in LR-Jaguar press releases (as well as on some dealer sites) and videos: head-up display, wade sensors and - as has been mentioned on another post today, surround cameras. These no longer feature in the CURRENT eBrochure or printed brochure though certainly the surround cameras were originally shown in the configurator (when I ordered (a LONG time ago now!) but only for the 5 seat - also not a UK format! May explain why getting hold of a printed brochure was so difficult.

As I have said earlier, this is all a bit dismal. At worst it is incompetent. I wouldn't dare suggest it was a cynical attempt to catch customers only for them to find out later that all was not it they had thought when they placed their deposits!!

·
Registered
677 Posts
It seems to me, those things that were originally listed as being available on the DS have been dropped and now making there debut on the face lifted Evoque, which now features HUD. Perhaps to justify the extra cost over the DS

·
Registered
163 Posts
It was an available order option for me in Canada, so I spec'd it as the Evoque we tested (same engine/g'box/dampers) had it and sold me as we're coming from a sprightly Audi and wanted to retain a little on road fun too.

·
Registered
381 Posts
LR-Phan said:
Adaptive dampers (computer-controlled magnetorheological shock absorber)
I do, however, seem to remember seeing an 'odd' setting on the rotatory drive selector which I forgot to question; this may be some form of 'sport' mode.
There is a Sports mode on the auto box, this is the same as on my Jag XF, in this setting the box holds onto the gears for longer allowing for higher revving of the engine and will change on the red line of the rev counter. On the DS the default setting is for the flappy paddles to only operate in Sports mode, I am led to believe this can be altered in the settings to allow them to also work in Drive.

·
Registered
78 Posts
When I drove the Demo auto the 'flappy paddles' worked in Drive and when you operated them 'Command Shift' was displayed on the info screen between the dials. This mimics what my FL2 does when I flick the 'stick' left to manually change gear.

Found the flappy paddle more useable as it allowed a higher gear to be selected when it wasn't volunteering it. It also changed down itself if needed.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I found the paddles fun at first but never really used them apart from off road afterwards.

·
Registered
175 Posts
When i test drove an DS auto I got to play with the flappy paddles on the A9 and they worked fine, however the command system drops it back into auto if you dont use them for a preset period of time. I'm thinking that's not a bad function (compared to my crazy Q5 that I managed to red line a number of times :oops: ) The salesman did tell me there was a drive mode where the paddles worked all the time. Gonna have fun finding this out as have just received email stating mine has a birth date :p

·
Registered
381 Posts
disco-disco-bob said:
When i test drove an DS auto I got to play with the flappy paddles on the A9 and they worked fine, however the command system drops it back into auto if you dont use them for a preset period of time. I'm thinking that's not a bad function (compared to my crazy Q5 that I managed to red line a number of times :oops: ) The salesman did tell me there was a drive mode where the paddles worked all the time. Gonna have fun finding this out as have just received email stating mine has a birth date :p
You are correct in saying it drops back into auto but this only happens in Drive mode. When in Sports mode it will remain in manual flappy paddle input. You can override the flappy paddle input by holding the up change paddle for one second this will then put the system back into Auto mode and works in both Drive and Sports positions.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Dynamic seems to be available in markets other than UK.
I have specified it on mine in France and had the order accepted, the car is now on it's way to the dealer so I should know in a few days if I've got dynamic suspension.
I have it on my Evoque and have found it stiffens up the ride for fast/twisty roads - not good on bumpy roads though!

·
Registered
270 Posts
LR-Phan said:
Adaptive dampers (computer-controlled magnetorheological shock absorber) were widely advertised in various on-line videos on Youtube (mysteriously they no longer seem to be there) of the upcoming Discovery Sport - along with a number of other 'goodies'. It seems, however, that they were quietly dropped from at least the UK specification sometime in the Autumn last year though at ;east one LR dealer (as I recall in Cumbria) listed them as a feature of the car towards the end of the year. They may, perhaps, be an option outside the UK.

I have previously mentioned other features which were claimed for the DS in LR-Jaguar press releases (as well as on some dealer sites) and videos: head-up display, wade sensors and - as has been mentioned on another post today, surround cameras. These no longer feature in the CURRENT eBrochure or printed brochure though certainly the surround cameras were originally shown in the configurator (when I ordered (a LONG time ago now!) but only for the 5 seat - also not a UK format! May explain why getting hold of a printed brochure was so difficult.

As I have said earlier, this is all a bit dismal. At worst it is incompetent. I wouldn't dare suggest it was a cynical attempt to catch customers only for them to find out later that all was not it they had thought when they placed their deposits!!
As per my post at http://www.discosportforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=260&p=2183#p2183, these options are available in other markets on 5 seat models only.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
All,

To Quote LR from their social media team..

"Hello David, The DS does include dynamic dampers. This has not been removed and is part of the adaptive dynamics.
Many Thanks, Land Rover UK."

So looks like it all fine.... well if it's not they can take the option cost off mine :)

PS. If anyone can tell me how much that option is outside of the UK it would be useful info.

·
Registered
562 Posts
The DS doesn't have adaptive dynamics! It is a setting on the terrrain response, check out the brochure pic, there is a gap for the 'dynamic' mode on the selector to the left of the current setting.....stand to be corrected....

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Audio equipment Font Automotive design Gas Circle

It's on the LR UK site. There is a huge disconnect between marketing and manufacturing. It's BS for the DS.
Getting really pissed off with LR at the moment. Wrong dates, wrong spec and bad communication.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts