Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there all,

Grateful for your advice / comments. I have almost convinced myself to go for a DS rather than an XC60. The only area where the XC60 seems a bit better (apart from the discounts on offer :) is the instrument panel: the DS seems to have a rather traditional dual-binnacle affair (as opposed to a configurable screen in the XC60), with what seems like quite an intrusive set of indications around the outside of the dial - making the needle itself not terribly prominent.

The DS has a small digital speedo in the central part (between the binnacles) - is there a way to configure it so that it is larger in that space?

Am I worrying about nothing? On the one hand it seems a minor point, but on the other hand it is one area of the vehicle that I'd be constantly glancing at!

Finally - any experience with the 10-way climate seats (as on HSE Lux) vs the 8 way heated seats (as on HSE)

Thanks, D

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have an XC60 at the mo and will be moving it on to get my DS in May. I've got to say that the XC60 is a fantastic car. I have had no issues with it all, build quality is excellent. Safety is great. I can get all my gear in the back. Driving position is good. MPG is good etc, etc. I thought long and hard about getting another but fancied a change and the DS came along and the rest is history :) But I'd have another XC60 anytime. If I had too. The Volvo XC60 Forum was good too.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I've always had LR so it's not a problem for me. The face lifted Evoque has got a revised set of dials, so through time the DS will no doubt catch up, doesn't help at the moment.

I'm perhaps biased being a DS owner and a Land Rover enthusiast but I can't fault the DS, yes there are minor things that could be improved through the model years, but I don't think you will regret it.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I've been driving an XC60 4WD for the last 6 years. An excellent, comfortable, smooth car. I did have some issues, including a rear diff go (only 35K miles). Still, overall I've been very happy with the car, but like andythedrummer, I'm looking for a change and the DS looks right up my alley.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I was just tempted by the new XC90; specifically love the luxerious interior and large 12" iPad screen. I think the RR. sport will be impacted; certainly at the XC90 price (equal to high spec DS and standard 7seater)

·
Registered
60 Posts
KaikouraDiscoSport said:
I was just tempted by the new XC90; specifically love the luxerious interior and large 12" iPad screen. I think the RR. sport will be impacted; certainly at the XC90 price (equal to high spec DS and standard 7seater)
I have also considered the choice of the XC90 against a HSE DS, but if you want the same level of options, it cost way more. Compared to the RR sport, the XC90 seems to be a better bargain if you don't want to go offroad.

Currently I drive an XC60 since december 2010 . and I am very happy with it. I considered buying a new one. Previously I had a freelander 2 wich was nice, but less confortable and fun to drive than my XC 60 R Design D5.
The new DS that I tried, seems to be very nice. The seats seems higher than in the volvo, There is more room at the rear seats, the look is nice. I still recommand the volvo, but like other here, I wanted to try something else.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I find the numeric speed readout perfectly adequate, it's right in the middle and easy to find, and things like the cruise control set speed are right next to it. I rarely look at the dial speedo.

I do think the temp gague is a waste of space however - most cars are quite capable of showing you a warning *if* the temp is out of line, other than that, you don't need to know.

I do wish it would tell you what gear it was in.

·
Registered
221 Posts
One advantage a new XC60 has over the DS is that the Volvo engines are Euro 6 compliant and do not need the ad-blue additive.

I'm still very interested in the DS, but the announcement a week or so back of the new Mercedes GLC has piqued my interest too. 5 seats, 200bhp engine, 4-wheel drive, great new 9 speed autobox, due out end of the year and the basic price looks comparable. The options list could of course kill it. No pricing on options yet. Don't know if the merc uses an additive.

·
Registered
126 Posts
andythedrummer said:
I have an XC60 at the mo and will be moving it on to get my DS in May. I've got to say that the XC60 is a fantastic car. I have had no issues with it all, build quality is excellent. Safety is great. I can get all my gear in the back. Driving position is good. MPG is good etc, etc. I thought long and hard about getting another but fancied a change and the DS came along and the rest is history :) But I'd have another XC60 anytime. If I had too.
So why bother to change, remember when you get your DS, like many land rover owners you get to know people at the dealerships, they become friends, why, well you are going to spend alot of time there, Get used to issues with your DS, Build quality, well they have problems there too, you may get all your gear in the back, but storage is non existent, MPG avg 35.6 round town, 41 on long run. But forgot to mention, you will use more fuel because the sat nav likes to take you on narrow out of the way roads, it will get you there, but not the way you thought. Think long and hard.
regards
tony

·
Registered
221 Posts
mentorofmonty said:
Out of interest what are they like off road?
If you are asking about the XC60, mines tackled the bad snow 4/5 winters ago pretty well. It doesn't have any off-road settings per-se, only a hill descent button, newer models might be different.

Merc are pushing the off-road credentials of the GLC, especially if bought with the air suspension plus off-road package, but gawd knows how much that'll add to the car.

·
Registered
179 Posts
mentorofmonty said:
Out of interest what are they like off road?
We took the DS out at LR's Eastnor location, and can confirm its a proper off-road vehicle. It tackled the staircase (!), steep embankments, 'ice', canal and various seriously muddy tracks as well as some rocky ones with no fuss at all.

It is obviously not as capable as the full fat D4 which has more ground clearance and which was completely awesome (tackling the one man-made feature that the DS struggled with, a steep rock-crawl rocking from one axle to the other, with no fuss). But the DS will cope with anything that normal use might throw at it, and more besides.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Agree, though...active driveline on the DS that I tested offroad made it as capable as the D4 was on a very challenging track

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.