Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why the comparison? Well the Outlander PHEV was the only other car on my final shortlist. Conceptually I was all in favour. But we had one for an all-day test drive and were so underwhelmed that we called in and ordered the DS on the way back from dropping off the PHEV.

And my "loan" car this week whilst they still tinker with mine (GOK what's taking so long, the snag list wasn't THAT long) is... an Outlander PHEV.

So an extended/repeated chance to compare.

I'm here to tell you - it's no comparison.

Driving the EV is interesting. But the damn thing is made of bits of tin and plastic. And if you thought the satnav on the DS is not up to scratch, try this one for a while! (Can't do "north = up" for one very big thing.)

If you get one as a company car coz of the tax bands be happy, it's a good drive and you can fit tall kids in, but would I spend £40k of my own hard-earned on it? Not on you rnelly...

·
Registered
232 Posts
I had a good look round one at a country show last year.

The technology impressed me, but that was it. Cheap plastic creaky interior. Not a premium feel at all.

It's a shame. I was expecting great things because 20 odd years ago I knocked round for a while in a then new Pajero which I really liked.

If you "get" Landys as I do, you find the whole package hard to beat. (Probably in the same way Alfa fans enjoy the "character" of their cars.

·
Registered
677 Posts
There is something about Land Rovers, I've stuck with the brand through good times and bad, there is no other brand I would rather drive.

Nothing makes you appreciate a Land Rover more than spending 3 days with a Seat Mii.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
J77 said:
There is something about Land Rovers, I've stuck with the brand through good times and bad, there is no other brand I would rather drive.

Nothing makes you appreciate a Land Rover more than spending 3 days with a Seat Mii.
Sucks

Stratstone hire in cars if they need for lenders - and most of them I saw last week were DSs.

·
Registered
36 Posts
A friend owns an Outlander PHEV.

If he forgets to turn off the electricity before unplugging it, the car shuts down and has to be towed in to have it's electronics reset at the dealers.

It's happened 3 or 4 times in about 6 months - It's costing hime a fortune and he would never buy one again!

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Neil said:
A friend owns an Outlander PHEV.

If he forgets to turn off the electricity before unplugging it, the car shuts down and has to be towed in to have it's electronics reset at the dealers.

It's happened 3 or 4 times in about 6 months - It's costing hime a fortune and he would never buy one again!
Cor - that's a bit poor. Wonder how often that's happened to this hire car. I nearly did it this morning. It wouldn't have been *charging* as I have set it to charge overnight so it was already full, but I was in a hurry to get to the dentist...

·
Registered
404 Posts
I spoke to an owner of an Outlander last week. Very disappointed with both the performance and the fuel economy. Makes good numbers on the legislated cycle but not in real life.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Chris b said:
I spoke to an owner of an Outlander last week. Very disappointed with both the performance and the fuel economy. Makes good numbers on the legislated cycle but not in real life.
Agreed. After a week with one, however you drive it, can't really get more than 20 miles on a full battery. Mitsu claimed 30. Actually 20 miles on a charge isn't bad but it's a let-down when you find how far they lied. THen we found we couldn't get better than 30mpg out of the petrol lump when the battery charge is gone. It's helped in in-town driving by the hybrid function but on a long run, 30. Mitsu claimed 48. So this plus the general plastic nature of the car meant we passed on it.

Having had one for a week just now, I have to say, it's an interesting drive, electric traction is definitely the future. But it's not £40k worth of car, not when it's my 40k.

·
Super Moderator
2,833 Posts
Had a drive in a friends PHEV and agree the interior was bland and it felt cheap compared to LR but he's getting 130mpg average :eek:

I do 10-20 miles a day during week which would be all electric and weekends shopping around 54 miles which would drain battery unless I charge at shops before return so potentially no petrol usage as he's found :mrgreen:

Just seen a nearly new PHEV for £28k with toys and balance of 5 years warranty remaining (8 years on batteries) - if I'd bought this instead of DS I'd have saved enough for a weekend toy :(

He's on his second (he changed for facelift model) and had no problems at all with either or his wife's lexus hybrid :D

JLR will be a hard habit to break for me but I can't see me buying another LR diesel and the petrol isn't an option here or as efficient as others like the MB E class @46mpg :cool:

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Indeed, aside from the tacky interior, which didn't feel like 40k worth of car, I found it not bad at all, and as you say the electric-only for your shopping and local travel is pretty good.

Aside from the tacky, the main think that killed it for us was the petrol-only MPG figure we were getting were not good. On a motorway run on cruise control, we were getting around 28mpg. As we take three or four long trips a year (central france!) when we would not want to be stopping to charge every 50 miles, that made the overall running cost far less attractive. If we were the sort to take our holidays via Ryanair, it'd have been fab! :)

·
Super Moderator
2,833 Posts
I've lived with 17-22mpg towing to Oxford and 28-35mpg on RRS solo so if I wasn't using fuel normally but just on long trips occasionally I wouldn't mind :mrgreen:

Besides I'm only getting 35 out of the 53 DS mpg :roll:

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
I've had two Outlanders, the Mk2 (with the RR style split tailgate - brilliant, which was also available as a Citroen C-Crosser and the ugly Peugeot 4007), and then replaced that with a Mk3 Auto (not PHEV) which lasted about 9 months before selling it back to the Mitsu garage I bought it from and getting the DS.

The Mk1 was a great car, it was the Diamond with the same (older version of) 2.2 as the DS originally had, all the goodies, DVD in the back for the kids - and that tailgate. So I happily changed it for the Mk3, but remember not being struck by it on the test drive but it seemed the logical thing to do. Living with it, it was clear the Mk3 had been decontented to pay for the body change - it was next to top of the range (GX4) - but the split tailgate had gone, no DVD, no 12v power in the (smaller) boot for the coolbox and that 6 speed slushbox! Dreadful, felt like it was tuned for a petrol, revving the engine, not using the torque. It had to go, and here I am.

No rattles on either of them mind....

·
Super Moderator
2,833 Posts
I thought the ride was smooth on the Outlander compared to DS

Problem is I don't like foreign vehicles - now if only LR would build a DS hybrid, sort the QC and not charge the earth for it I'd be a happy bunny -meanwhile in the real world :lol:

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't recall noting the ride much either way, which suggests it was comparable!

I never took the Outlander near any mud, I have no idea if it would cope as well off road as the DS. Also, the dealer could NOT explain why it appeared to have a "difflock" button when there's no differential as the rear wheels are driven by a different motor to the front! And he, he said, had been on the special PHEV training course at Mitsu Mansions.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.