Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was some discussion a while ago when the PHEV was launched as to whether the petrol engine could generate power for the HV battery, for example for 4x4 purposes. It was never fully clear from the LR literature if this was possible, but I can confirm that it definitely can.
Today while sitting waiting in the car waiting, with it ‘on’ to keep cool inside, it used up what was left of the remaining battery and then asked me to then press the brake to start the engine (presumably a safety measure). The ICE started up, the aircon continued and the battery was now at 0% but I noticed that the engine speed went up very slightly to about 1100rpm and then spotted that the power distribution graphic was showing that the ICE was putting power into the battery. After about 5-6 minutes of idling (actually at a normal engine speed of 900rpm) the battery had increased to 3%, and then my wife and daughter arrived back. I don’t know how long this would have gone on for and obviously this was at idle so if it’s acting like a generator then an increased rpm would potentially increase the battery % faster.

Pretty cool. :cool:

I took a photo of the graphic showing the green arrows flowing from the ICE towards the battery, hopefully the animated gif below shows up.
Land vehicle Vehicle Wheel Car Trip computer

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry to bump an older thread, but I experienced the ICE charging the EV battery in the way this thread discusses last week and took a picture. Thought it would be useful to share.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had experienced 2 times ice charging battery while driving long distance on the high way with cruise control enabled. The first charged the battery at 53% the second time went at 82%.
Fuel consumption displayed was higher than expected (flat road with 110 km/h). The overall travel consumption was not that different from expected.
When this happens I noticed that there was a green "wave" in front of the engine.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

1 - 3 of 3 Posts