Discovery Sport Forum banner
561 - 575 of 575 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mine Disco My15 L550 year 2015 Ingenium Diesel 2.0l 180HP again got the all known diagnostic code P049B - Exhaust Gas Recirculation B Flow Insufficient Detected.
Unfortunetely its the second time in 4000km after the mesh filter in EGR cooler was replaced :/

The technitians from my service did not get anything else to replace when the error came out first time. Only they notices the filter needs to be changed.

As the thing came same in the short period of time I assume DPF filter also needs replacing or regeneration to be made because of the milege 112.000km on wheels.
I assume and also be grateful for any information if the OBDLink MX+ would give me information regarding my DPF regens as in newer version of Discovery Sports. Anyone can give my such information?

This time I will just replace the whole DPF and when the parts will be taken out I will also check the mesh filter again. Good I found a service spcialized in JLR but not the official one and the labor costs are about 50% cheaper.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Hi mine is a MY19 Disco so has the newer pathfinder software - makes most diagnostics tools useless.
My OBDLink MX+ gives "trigger for DPF regen - on mine varies between 20% and 100%,
gives "DPF regen status" 0 or 1 depending if it is in regen,
gives "DPF regen type" 0 means the car is regening using engine heat, 1 = active regen using fuel to raise the temperature
gives "time <> DPF regens" time between regenerations is 250 -300 minutes

Hope this helps

·
Registered
2 Posts
Driving home tonight and the car went into limp mode. Phoned LR Assist - they dispatched the AA, AA turn up and run a diagnostic check which shows a DPF fault. Fault cleared, car working again, will chase LR for a replacement tomorrow.
Might be better to regen the DPF. A new one ain’t cheap Circa £2k from a main dealer

·
Registered
5 Posts
First time post, please be gentle.

We have a 2016 DS. Full main dealer service history (last serviced March), under comprehensive extended warranty (but not Assist). 72k miles.

Today a red triangle has appeared on the dash and the orange engine light with a message saying the Exhaust Filter is Full and the car is in limp mode. No previous messages, no icons of either orange or red exhausts symbols.

We spoke to the LR warranty people (CarCare?) on the phone who were super helpful and told us to take the car to a dealer for an inspection report (presumably read the codes).

The guy in the dealership (Jardine, Slough) was incredibly unhelpful. Informed us that DPF issues won’t be covered and it will probably cost us £2500. He said they will charge us £204 labour charge to run the diagnostic report (zero goodwill). He really was unhelpful.

We decided to bring the car home and plan to get an Indy to look at it but in the meantime we called the warranty company again and they said that the dealer should not be charging us £204 for the diagnostics as that is covered by something called destination zero (warranty company pays). With regards to the DPF coverage, the warranty company said that is excluded but it depends on what the diagnostic report says (I.e. cause etc) and may be covered.

We are now waiting for the dealers to call us back about the diagnostic costs but in the meantime we would really appreciate any advice or recent experiences of the extended warranty.

Thanks!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Jardine, (formerly Lancaster Slough) are the most unhelpful dealers that I have ever had the misfortune of using.

I have the extended warranty with Assist, and what CarCare are are telling you is quite correct, the diagnostics are covered by your warranty policy. This is just another disinterested service desk that don’t want warranty work because they will only be reimbursed at JLR agreed rates, therefore won’t be able to rip you off. Whilst they are correct that the DPF is excluded, consequential repair isn’t excluded,m so if it was a blocked EGR for example, then the whole lot would be covered. You need a decent dealer that knows how to get jobs pushed through properly first time.

When this dealer was Stratstone they were appalling, and since Lancaster (now Jardine) got hold of them they have become even worse.

Try Guy Salmon over in Ascot, they are far more helpful with just about everything.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Or....
Got to an indie and have the DPF professionally cleaned at a fraction of the cost of new one?
It is not in JLR's best interest to clean it instead of selling you a new one + labour.

·
Registered
3 Posts
When I checked the warranty document I got with my 2017 DS from Jardine Slough thats covered by Care Plan it States -

Diesel Particulate Filter
The diesel particulate filter is covered for failure providing:
1 Following illumination of the applicable dash warning light, you drive the vehicle as specified in the manufacturer owners handbook at the required speed and distance to try and clear the filter.

2 If the applicable dash warning light remains illuminated, you must have the filter regenerated by a VAT-registered dealer. Please note this warranty does not cover the cost of the regeneration process and you must retain the invoice as proof this process has been followed and undertaken.

3 If this does not solve the problem then on approval, your Jardine Warranty will cover the repair or replacement of the diesel particulate filter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Always frustrates me on forums when people don’t update the outcome once they have their problem sorted. So here’s our update after over a week of back and forth.

Guy Salmon ran the diagnostics and confirmed that the turbo was faulty and whining (a bit like me by this point!), oil dilution at 17% (last serviced in March, 5k miles ago) and DPF blocked, needing replacement. Also something about cam shaft position and PCM update required.

Dealer spoke to the warranty company who said that the service history was incomplete, only the PDI and the latest service were showing. We had to chase down the previous dealer to update the online history from a few years ago. Loved the way this became our problem as the customer… no help from LR to sort it out. Anyway sort it out we did.

Next the warranty company would only authorise the replacement turbo, nothing else. So we spoke to them and they said there was nothing from the dealer to say the turbo and DPF were related. So we spoke to Guy Salmond again and they got the technition to call the warranty company to say the two items were linked. Now the warranty company have authorised it all.

We feel mighty relieved but still feel let down by LR and in particular our original dealer Jardine in Slough who have been completely useless throughout from refusing to do the diagnostics, refusing to fix the service history and we are still waiting for them to call us back. Icing on the cake was the complete lack of any warning messages at any point.

So relieved yes, but will sell the car soon.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I was always told by my neighbour when dealing with LR Warranty to get the head technician to make the call, as they could speak to them in engineering speak and get things like this pushed through. He said the service desk advisers don’t know how to have a conversation properly, so car care plan always refuse by default, unless there is someone who knows what they’re talking about, which is rare apparently.

Thanks for updating. nice to see that Lancaster/Jardine are still as awful as they were when under the Stratstone banner some 12 years ago. Jardiniere Reading are no better either!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Update. On moving the car to start the work authorised by the extended warranty team, the technician noted that there was a rattle from the timing chain and subsequently announced that the chain is stretched.

Warranty company are sending out someone to inspect the vehicle. No work has been done.

I‘m not sure what this now means… could the warranty people reject what they had previously authorised? It appears that the timing chain is covered by the LR extended warranty - that doesn’t look ambiguous. Maybe they are sending an inspector for another reason? Any ideas? To say we are stressed out by all this would be an understatement.

No car now for over two weeks and still no idea ’what next’.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Looking at what others are saying about stretched timing chains, JLR appear to be swallowing the cost of this whether in warranty or not. What have they offered you in terms of a loan vehicle, anything? If not, why not?

561 - 575 of 575 Posts