Discovery Sport Forum banner
521 - 540 of 575 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,158 Posts
SarahStreet said:
flycop2000 said:
Interesting, I must remember this.
....which is why I asked you to get the fault codes included on the report......
Agree Sarah , but some dealers just supply codes with no timings , the codes alone without timings or mileage between them sometimes doesn't help.

One owner was accused of driving for 200 miles with an orange light on ! It wasn't until, further investigation of timings that this lack of visibility issue showed it's head.
Perhaps you can advise if this issue was looked into re the lack of suitable warning or remains currently as an issue? I certainly haven't seen a fix for it released.

·
Super Moderator
7,158 Posts
SarahStreet said:
This issue was initially identified back in January 2018, and TSB was issued, LTB01164/2018, subsequently updated May 2018 under LTB01164v2

https://www.discosportforums.co.uk/download/file.php?id=9780
Thanks,
I read that a while back but looking at the case you've linked it appears to be a proposed solution for the complete opposite.
i.e as can be seen it addresses the case of when a customer / owner "SEES " a light .
Whereas I was looking for a case of where the light was not illuminated long enough for the driver to see it .

This would account for the drivers who swear blind they never saw the orange light and it went straight to red. The exact scenarios that nearly cost 3 owners thousands in costs for new DPFs.

If this shall we call it nearly invisible warning for a couple of seconds is taken as acceptable that is pretty poor in my opinion. The light should give ample warning to a driver to permit them to take the corrective action, it should remain illuminated until the resolution action is taken and not a quick flash on the dash.

Font Parallel Screenshot Document Circle

Attachments

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have been following this thread with considerable interest as the owner of a MY17 D180. I have owned this for exactly 4 years now. At the end of the 36th month almost to the day, I had an amber Engine Management Light appear. No previous DPF warnings ever seen. The fault was diagnosed as a blocked EGR cooler filter, and after some delay waiting for back order parts, it was replaced FOC. No mention of the DPF being replaced. A week or two ago, after a 200 mile trip towing a caravan, on came the amber Engine Management Light again - this being 11 months from the previous warning. This time, the diagnosis was a blocked EGR cooler filter and the need for a new DPF. No DPF warnings have ever been seen. I am now being told by the dealer that JLR are prepared to pay 80% of the cost of replacement, which totals £2000, leaving me with a £400 bill. Most of my journeys over the past few weeks have been in excess of an hour or so, towing the caravan. This seems to suggest that short journeys have not caused the reoccurrence of the first fault, and maybe the DPF should have been replaced at the same time as the EGR cooler filter 12 months ago! I am also concerned that no green, amber or red DPF warnings have ever been seen.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I agree that the DPF should have been replaced earlier, as that is the cause of the EGR filter blocking up. I had this done under warranty on my DS. This is probably the reason LR are agreeing to foot most of the bill. If this were me, I'd be annoyed that the job wasn't done properly first time round, but think it reasonable that LR are prepared to foot most of the bill. The car is out of warranty, so they could just turn round and raise two fingers. I'd pay the £400 (not a huge amount on a car of this value and complexity) in the knowledge that the components will probably be trouble free from now on.
Like you, I never saw any DPF warnings. This is not the result of a blocked DPF - the faulty DPF is allowing particles to recirculate and block the EGR filter, so the warning refers to the emissions system, not the DPF hardware.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Thank you for your most useful comments. I am totally in agreement with your comments, and have already booked a provisional date for the work to be carried out. The dealer did explain that as I am paying part of the total cost, the parts fitted will be covered by a 2 year warranty, which I would not have if they covered the full cost. I am not sure whether that means labour costs would be covered too, but will clarify that when I go along. It is still one of the best cars I have ever owned, and it will hopefully last me a good few years yet.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Hope that all goes well for you. I too was very pleased with my DS. It was a tough decision to change it at 3½ years and 50000 miles, but I felt I no longer needed quite such a big car, and the new shape Evoque is just a more up-to-date experience. Glad I changed, but would probably have been happy if I hadn't!

·
Super Moderator
7,158 Posts
Past master said:
I agree that the DPF should have been replaced earlier, as that is the cause of the EGR filter blocking up. I had this done under warranty on my DS. This is probably the reason LR are agreeing to foot most of the bill. If this were me, I'd be annoyed that the job wasn't done properly first time round, but think it reasonable that LR are prepared to foot most of the bill. The car is out of warranty, so they could just turn round and raise two fingers. I'd pay the £400 (not a huge amount on a car of this value and complexity) in the knowledge that the components will probably be trouble free from now on.
Like you, I never saw any DPF warnings. This is not the result of a blocked DPF - the faulty DPF is allowing particles to recirculate and block the EGR filter, so the warning refers to the emissions system, not the DPF hardware.
Totally agree , I can't understand why they didn't check DPF and EGR cooler and EGR valve at the same time.
It has to be checked as a complete system and not the component parts in isolation.

·
Super Moderator
7,158 Posts
Mart666 said:
Thank you for your most useful comments. I am totally in agreement with your comments, and have already booked a provisional date for the work to be carried out. The dealer did explain that as I am paying part of the total cost, the parts fitted will be covered by a 2 year warranty, which I would not have if they covered the full cost. I am not sure whether that means labour costs would be covered too, but will clarify that when I go along. It is still one of the best cars I have ever owned, and it will hopefully last me a good few years yet.
The other item I would make sure they check is the EGR valve ( the valve that controls the flow of those dirty gases from the DPF to the EGR Cooler) , They can get pretty coked up and stick intermittently then eventually stick permanently. The warranty sounds good.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Thanks Barnsh. I will note that suggestion and make a specific request in writing when I take it in for the work - hopefully the end of next week.

·
Registered
19 Posts
SarahStreet said:
Nor will they. The vehicle cannot and will not regenerate passively, at best, a motorway run at a steady 70mph will just delay the inevitable.

Please, understand that this variant will never EVER passively regenerate - it cannot. Every 100-120 miles, it will actively regenerate, and there is no way to change that parameter....it is predefined in the BCM, and depending on your journey type, can be as low as 70-80 miles between active regens.

My best (and only) advice is to connect an OBD tool that reads in real time your DPF soot loading, so that you know that the vehicle is doing or about to do an active regen. And keep driving it. Long journeys in between regens make no difference whatsoever, and never will. You are waiting in vain, and wasting time and diesel in the process.
Hi Sarah

I may have picked this up wrong but the LR Dealership said that my DS did a passive regen in their road test. But from what you have said above, am I right in thinking that DS's will never do a passive regen? I have a 2017 DS special Edition...maybe that's not enough info about my model so ask me if you need any more

Thanks

Maree

·
Registered
919 Posts
Your retailer is mis-informing you.

The L550 and L538 Ingenium-powered models cannot "passively" regenerate (like an old Euro 5 Powertrain), for a million and one reasons that have been done to death on this and other forums. It's a play on words, and nothing more.

The only way that a DPF can possibly regenerate on these variants is by active regeneration. Certain service technicians have been muttering the words "passive", but if such a thing existed in the real world, and worked successfully, then there would be no need for "active" regeneration, would there?

Ask your retailer to qualify their statement in writing. By that, I mean what took place, at what mileage/engine temperature/engine speed, and what were the nett results? I will bet you my mortgage that they can't/won't commit. It's hogwash, nothing more, nothing less.

These models cannot "passively" regenerate. Ever. The exhaust cannot possibly reach the required temperatures to burn soot, It's as simple as that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Afternoon all,
I'm considering a OBD adapter to try and track my regens, probably an OBDLink LX or Bluedriver which seem to get the best reviews at a cost but looking to the future will want at least annual oil changes probably without paying £217 to the dealer. That made me think whether I could get an OBD adapter that both provides live info and also allowed updates to service history. Autel do 3, the Maxi AP 200 C, H or M - the latter looks to have greatest functionality and I think this may be the unit refered to by Meltin in the post of 18 Oct (https://www.discosportforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11573&hilit=autel). Does anyone have knowledge of the Autel units and know whether they would do what I'm after? My research comes up with the fact they use their own app (free for 1 car for 1 year then £16) read fault codes provide various uopdates but I can't see what live info they provide - specifically regen in course, exhaust temperatures etc.
Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
New here and was not surprised to find this thread!
We bought a 2017 DS and the DPF has failed again (last time was March). JLR are refusing to meet the cost of repair and our blaming our driving style!

I can't understand how we are in a position where we are using the car as we intended (short journeys to school, nursery, station etc With the odd longer one). We were never advised that it wasn't suitable for this.

We have come to the point where we need to get rid of the car (which is a shame as we otherwise like the car) as it goes straight to red with no amber light showing giving us the chance to regen. Employees of JLR seem surprised this is the case but JLR are telling me the engine isn't getting hot enough to mean the amber light will show.

Can anyone help me with what the best outcome would be in terms of getting rid of the car and whether there is any chance of compensation? JLR are refusing to pay for the repair or to help get us into another vehicle but we are in a position where we bought a car expecting to have it for 10 years only to find we are "driving it wrong" and the car has lost £20k in value.

I'd be so grateful for some help. Two weeks without the car, three small children and JLR are refusing to help.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
You don't say whether you bought it in 2017 or more recently. If the latter you have a good chance of rejecting the car as unfit for purpose and getting your money back. I think a search for "reject" on this forum will find you plenty of advice. Or contact your local Trading Standards. Your argument would be with the seller, not Land Rover. Doesn't work if you bought it privately though.

·
Registered
747 Posts
My view on this, repeated many times since I performed the first exhaust design fault rejection in 2017, is that the fault was present when your car was manufactured. Therefore the fault had to have existed at the time of every subsequent sale, main dealer or not, seller aware of the inherent fault or not. It makes no difference. Section 9 CRA 2015 (goods not of satisfactory quality) is therefore always applicable and, depending on buyer expectations and what was represented at the time of sale, section 11 could be used as well (goods not as described). I see no point bothering with secton 10 because it complicates matters and gives the defence a distracting bone to gnaw on. It is also always superfluous. Search for and download the latest version of the 20 page "D8 Dilution Guide" (on a dropbox link) and the SCN JLRP00100 (also linked from the guide) for the technical evidence required to demonstrate the presence of the systemic fault. Send md a PM if you need any help.
Echo the above post re a private sale. If someone dumps their shitbox on you privately, you are not covered by the consumer legislation.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know every DPF issue must have been covered in this thread, but it is quite hard to spot the info in amongst 54 pages, so apologies if I am asking questions asked before (lots of times).

Once again, the DPF red warning light has come on and the car (2016 180) is in limp mode. It doesn't go amber, just straight to red. Last time it happened, the local Halfords auto centre managed to fix it somehow, involving two guys and a computer out in the car for about 2 hours, after trying other things beforehand. This time they said they can't do it and think it needs replacing.

So, given that I don't want to buy a new dpf, I am thinking of trying a couple of things:

1. Go for a long drive, a couple of hours maybe, to see if it helps. Am I wasting my time and/or making things worse, given the red light is on?

2. Go to one of the dpf cleaning companies. Anyone had experience of these? What about ultrasonic cleaning v flushing the system whilst the filter is off the car?

Would welcome thoughts please, as this is driving me mad now!

521 - 540 of 575 Posts