Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have an excellent dog box in our FL2. Aluminium with a locking door, it was made by a small firm in South West Scotland specifically for the FL2.

It has 3 drawbacks. It takes up half the boot. Because it is so well made it is unwieldy and a pain to take out of the car and store. The dog doesn't like it.

We are looking therefore at options for the DS when it arrives.

The dog isn't big, A Bedlingtin Terrier.

Another dog box from the company in Scotland. Expensive and again it's going to have the drawbacks of the other box.

A LR storage net thing. Not cheap and the dog will be able to roam free inside the boot. A danger of him jumping out when the boot is opened.

Second row seat covers. He can be restrained with one of the seatbelt harnesses but the seat covers won't stop him clawing door cards dribbling and generally messing up the inside.

How about this as a solution?

Use the seat belt harness on one of the third row seats. Seat covers to keep it clean. The car is less like an animal carrier when he's not there , we can use all the boot most of the time too.

Anyone with rear seats think this is a workable and cheap solution?

LL

·
Registered
677 Posts
Is this the Scottish company?

http://www.transk9.com/index.php/boxes/b34ss/

I've got the LR flexible load liner, my greyhound is a big fella and just lies on the boot floor. I thought about the dog guard but with the headrests up there's no way he's coming through.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.

Yes that is the company. It really is a cracking bit of kit but as I say there are drawbacks. We don't have a garage and it gets in the way in the house.

It's the dribbling and clawing that I want to avoid. Plus when we take him out it's usually to mucky countryside places. I'm hoping the rear most seats with covers and clipping him into the seatbelt will do the job.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
I have the perfect solution, a seat cover that covers all the second row and fixes to the headrests and my wife sits in the back with our 2 westies.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Beast
We have a Westie and use a rear seat cover which hangs over the rear seat head rests and the front headrests, forming a sort of "U" shape. We have a large cushion and two smaller ones for her to lie/stand on and she's fine.
Sounds very much the same as our solution, with a cover that attaches to the front and rear headrests, but we have a large (water proof exterior and base) dog bed with bolsters on three sides, positioned in it. She's a Vizsla (28Kg) and wears a travel harness, but is able to stretch out or curl up as she wishes, and just sleeps cosily on a 250 mile trip. Leaves us the large boot for any gear we're taking.

·
Super Moderator
2,833 Posts
I had a dog bag for our lab but we have a westie now and she hated it.

I bought a dog crate from petsathome that folds flat when not needed and she loves it.

I'm looking forward to the centre seat back that drops so we can see her now.

Before we had the seats down so she was near the front when caravanning.

I tried her in boot without cage but she appeared agitated - as soon as crate back she jumps in and curls up then sleeps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.