Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I wonder if any of you know if a metal grille type dog guard is available as an extra or can be purchased ? I have 2 lurchers, one of which is very fond of chewing almost everything and believes his place is anywhere apart from the boot!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Annabelle said:
Hello all, I wonder if any of you know if a metal grille type dog guard is available as an extra or can be purchased ? I have 2 lurchers, one of which is very fond of chewing almost everything and believes his place is anywhere apart from the boot!
Hi Annabelle and welcome to the forum.

LRDSport has very helpfully pointed you to the Luggage Divider / Dog Guard and a link to the Australian eBrochure. I have at last managed to get hold of the printed UK brochure that shows the dividers on page 73. Strangely, although I have previously found them in the on-line 'configurator' they no longer seem to be there (or perhaps I haven't found the right page!)

I have had the Freelander version of this guard (full height version) in my Freelander to restrain my large dog in the back! This has worked well and is relatively easy to remove.

Accordingly, I have ordered the equivalent full height luggage divider (VPLCS0299) for my new Discovery Sport (if you intend leaving the second row seats in place (not folded) a half height version may suffice). Looking at the fitting instructions - others have posted the link - this looks a little more work to install but can, it seems, still be removed, albeit that this may be slightly more involved. The +2 (third row) seats cannot be used with the divider in place - though I can't think why you'd want to!

I have also ordered the heavy duty flexible boot liner (VPLCS0272) that covers the back of the 2nd row seats, the boot floor and the sides of the boot that should not only keep the car cleaner but avoid dog fur from becoming embedded in the 'flock' surface of the boot floor. This appears to be longer enough to cover the boot lip that should avoid it being scratched when loading canine passengers. The rubber boot mat is an alternative.

·
Registered
562 Posts
FYI the boot liners with LR are never any good.

I'm buying a dedicated dog bed as my boot protector as well as the boot mat.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Now he says, I've got my one waiting to go in :lol:

Also I've got the boot mat.

I've got 4 greyhounds, all of which are great travellers and just curl up in the boot and have a kip, so haven't ordered the luggage divider at the moment, though I have it for my D4 and had it in my Fl2.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have a 8 stone Bernese Mountain Dog. Also not bothered with a divider. Might possibly also allow her in middle row footwell when boot is in use and wth with seats positioned for max leg room.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
that fills me with confidence that others with large dogs feel that there is enough space to accommodate them, lol, it was one of my main concerns, they are of course used to the cabin height we have in the D3 and the Defender. I do have a large heavy duty dog bed in the D3 already but no boot liner and those damn hairs get very stuck in!

·
Registered
562 Posts
My huge Lab standing in the boot has no issues in the DS.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Is it a legal requirement to have a dog guard fitted when carrying your pooch with you?

·
Registered
677 Posts
I don't believe there is any law regarding pets being restrained in a car.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Some states of Australia require pets to be restrained and in those states even a cargo bay may be insufficient (ie it needs to be on a, harness or tether of some description) but it's inconsistent. ALL states here however require you to be in control of the vehicle and if a policeman sees an unrestrained pooch leaping about inside your vehicle you will get ticketed for it :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
I am specifically enquiring about the uk...

·
Registered
270 Posts
Biggles said:
I am specifically enquiring about the uk...
Yep I assumed that to be the case but I imagine UK police would take a similarly dim view if your pet was free to roam about the cabin.

·
Registered
230 Posts
My Bernese Mountain Dog comes to work with me eveŕy day sitting loose in the front of my van. I got pulled over by the police once for using my mobile phone. They let me off thanks to my friendly dog, but no issues with her not being restrained or in a cage etc.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Rule 57 of the Highway code states
"When in a vehicle make sure dogs or other animals are suitably restrained so they cannot distract you while you are driving or injure you, or themselves, if you stop quickly. A seat belt harness, pet carrier, dog cage or dog guard are ways of restraining animals in cars."

Not sure if this is actually law or not but you wouldn't leave your child unrestrained in a car, and the thought of an 8 stone dog flying around in an accident is a bit worrying.

·
Registered
677 Posts
It's not law but a guide, it's always advisable to have a dog guard though if your dog is prone to jumping around.

My 4 greyhounds lie in the boot floor, so not a must at the moment for me but its something I will look at in the future.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts