Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
May seem a silly question.

However, I've been reading through the forums for a while now and there are endless rants about "design faults":
- Performance
- Auto box
- Fuel consumption
- Aircon/ventilation
- Sat Nav
- Towbars
- DAB radio
- Emergency braking
- In Control
- Parking sensors
- Stop/start
- Provision of 7 seats only (earlier models)
- Boot space
...and probably many more

Then there are individual reliability/fault lists.

Is the general consensus really that the car is a pile of c**p?

I absolutely love the car (I'm hoping I am not tempting fate here). Yes, there are a few "oddities" but I have never owned a car yet that didn't have its own "character"; nothing yet has made me regret my decision to buy.

Media (and forums I guess) tend to focus on the negatives but has anyone got anything positive they want to say about their car? Are there any features that you find brilliant? Technology that you now can't live without? What were the main reasons for buying and are those expectations being met? Would you recommend the car to potential new buyers (and why)?

Just wondering!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm glad you posted this as I'm starting to wonder whether I'm doing the right thing when I spend a fair chunk of my pension on one or should I be looking else where.

I tend to keep my cars a long time and I was hoping that I would get 10 years from one as I have with my Audi!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Mine is great, other than an annoying rattle from the passenger side B pillar, mine is a later build and I've not had the issues others have so maybe LR are learning from the feedback the forum has given them.

·
Registered
126 Posts
AndrewL said:
May seem a silly question.

- Boot space
...and probably many more

Then there are individual reliability/fault lists.

Is the general consensus really that the car is a pile of c**p?

I absolutely love the car (I'm hoping I am not tempting fate here). Yes, there are a few "oddities" but I have never owned a car yet that didn't have its own "character"; nothing yet has made me regret my decision to buy.

Media (and forums I guess) tend to focus on the negatives but has anyone got anything positive they want to say about their car? Are there any features that you find brilliant? Technology that you now can't live without? What were the main reasons for buying and are those expectations being met? Would you recommend the car to potential new buyers (and why)?

Just wondering!
In your remark you ask (are those expectations being met? ) well its a case of No. if they were everyone would be happy on this forum, but unless people pick up and make a point about faults Ta Ta JLR will never fix them.
Also you have to remember people have spent a fortune on these cars, reading brochures telling them exactly what they were going to get for their hard earned money, when the DS's came through for delivery, some parts were not there, just a simple example Storage under seats at front, No Draw, and l bet you don't have that either.
The fact of the matter is, we all liked what we saw, we all liked what the dealer said, we all enjoyed the videos on the land rover site, But we did not get what we liked, nor what the dealer said ( to be fair they did not know) and did not exactly get what was on the video..SO WHO ARE WE TO MOAN, WE ARE THE CUSTOMER
regards
tony

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Mine was one of the early cars, in fact that early LR lost it for 2 weeks.
* Am I happy - Yes in general
* Did I get what I expected - No (IMHO JLR has grown to the extent its media side does not know what the production side are making)
* Did I have problems - yes and still have a couple of minor ones (AEB notwithstanding)
* Do I want to change it - No, I enjoy driving it
* Would i do the same again - Yes (as I now know as do the dealers what I would get)

·
Registered
381 Posts
The first Jaguar XEs are just been delivered to customers, I will look with interest on their forums for issues, they also have AEB fitted as standard across the range.

·
Registered
270 Posts
For all the issues so far, I do really like the car and I'm still happy I went with this rather than a japanese soft-roader. Sure there are some things to get used to, and there are some technical issues, but most of them have been sorted and I'm trusting the ones still hanging around (which happen to be the ones affecting me) will be sorted in the near future so I can get on with enjoying DS ownership for years to come.

What I will say is that JLR quality control is obviously not up to scratch and given they emphasised how much testing this thing had done in the promo videos, it's disappointing that it's not solid. The logistics problems certainly didn't help either (any anyway much of the delays were due to quality issues as well).

Following on from that, the communication and customer service from JLR themselves has been less than stellar, although my local dealer has been reasonably good. This certainly compounded the issues further - if they'd dealt with them quickly, effectively and concisely then it's likely customers would be much happier.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Love the car ! It's stunning to look at and drives very well. It's an SUV so I was never really too worried about MPG.
The issues I have had with the wife's car are -:

1. Dynamic dampers was removed from he UK market even though it was advertised on the UK site prior to xmas. I guess the COGS (Cost of Goods) was to high so they dropped it. Very cheeky to be honest and there was NEVER something saying ** Only in some regions/markets ** - LR Basically said "tough" to me on this. (This is probably a personal thing)
2. Leather quality of the rear seats. Even the showroom car at the moment in my dealership has pretty loose rear seat leather. Not an issue I have ever had with Audi, BMW or Ford for that matter.
3. AEB - Don't know the extent of this problem right now but it looks very worrying.

Do I wish I had never ordered it ? NO ! not at all.
It's a new model with new issues.
Could LR have been more responsive ? Yes absolutely !

For those with cars on order the pros will outweigh the cons I promise.

·
Registered
166 Posts
When mine isn't rattling, it's a pleasure. B Pillar sounds common and a tech said JLR were working on a fix. Luggage cover probably needs a rework. Shame at design they didn't realise 3rd row seat belt buckles would knock against the plastic.. I sort of knew what I may be in for but that said, 4 new BMWs which were new releases, I only had one warranty issue tackled post warranty period and in under an hour.. By mid July, the DS will have been in the dealers for about 11 days to sort the rattles.. 150 miles in round trips.. That's the annoying part, time and cost and makes me glad I didn't go for the more expensive RRS. I think it may have tarnished my thoughts on the brand to do that.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Love the car even though it killed my cardboard box :D . LR have got a great product that obviously has teething problems some minor some major, just wished they would listen to us and feedback timely and correct information.
Can't fault the dealership as good as any I have used before.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Almost covered 4k miles in ours and I'm really pleased with it from the perspective of performance, economy and practicality, great boot after that of an Evoque and almost as large as a RR Sport. Additionally no gearbox issues or rattles. What I find very frustrating are the stupid issues that should have been picked up in testing such as the DAB radio problem and the lack of place names on the sat-nav. In fact I would claim that type of omission from a mapping system makes it unfit for purpose and the cost should be refunded or an update produced. All I'd really like is a bit more power, something like 220/230 bhp; I wouldn't mind betting that it will come with first ingemium engined car ugrades in a year or two.
Tim

·
Registered
179 Posts
Moose said:
Mine was one of the early cars, in fact that early LR lost it for 2 weeks.
* Am I happy - Yes in general
* Did I get what I expected - No (IMHO JLR has grown to the extent its media side does not know what the production side are making)
* Did I have problems - yes and still have a couple of minor ones (AEB notwithstanding)
* Do I want to change it - No, I enjoy driving it
* Would i do the same again - Yes (as I now know as do the dealers what I would get)
I'd second that. Overall, delighted with it and love driving it (my 2nd LR having had a used FL2 for 18 months prior). OK, there are some minor niggles but I don't think a perfect car has yet been built! Certainly nothing that concerns me or makes me regret the purchase.

I'd love it still more if (a) boot seals didn't drip (has anyone got one that doesn't?); (b) satnav had place names, reliably gave more logical directions, had a auto zoom that was of any use and had a 3D mode that was noticeably different from the 2D mode; (c) if the 'moon lighting' was actually visible to the human eye, and (d) if we had reason to have faith in the apparently fitted but non-functioning AEB. But no deal breakers there for me. I think the main frustration is having things that are supposed to be on the car, and advertised as part of the deal we paid for, apparently not being fully sorted as they should be. Had they not included them in the first place, would we have noticed? Probably not!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I think it really depends on what cars you've driven before since that's usually what you will compare your experience to. As background information, I previously had a 2012 Jetta on lease, and before that drove my family's old old Chevy Cavalier :roll:

So here are my takes on most of the problems that I've seen on this forum (and the ones listed by OP):
AndrewL said:
- Performance *Didn't expect sporty performance looking at the engine/transmission :) *
- Auto box *Feels very similar to my old Jetta, same lag on downshifts before acceleration :) *
- Fuel consumption *Expected it to be worse than my Jetta, and it is, tho not by much :) *
- Aircon/ventilation *No problems here at all :) *
- Sat Nav *Between Googlemaps and this, I'd choose Googlemaps, but it's not horrible :) *
- Towbars *Not fitted :) *
- DAB radio *No problem here at all :) *
- Emergency braking *So far haven't seen it work yet, so I'll give this a fail for now :(*
- In Control *Wasn't available to Canada during pre-order stage, I can live without having apps on my car :) *
- Parking sensors *I mentioned it was quite laggy for me, not impressed :( *
- Stop/start *Hasn't had any problems with it, never had a car with it before and I think I got used to it now :) *
- Provision of 7 seats only (earlier models) *5 seat version (with more available options) was available for Canada so I didn't get the 7 seat one :) *
- Boot space *Way better than anything I've had before :) *
So yea, overall I like it, hasn't had any real faults (AEB being the only concern that I have) on mine yet, doesn't even squeak or rattle. I was disappointed by the ambient lighting though, it looked wayyyyyy better on my dad's Ford Explorer (which had very good parking radar and working AEB too!)

Would I get it again? Well, it's not cheap, but it does feel very nice inside. Part of my decision to get this was because of some expected light offroading needs due to my job. If after 3 years I find that I'm not actually doing any offroading, I might take a look at the Ford Edge again and see if the DS is worth the extra money.

·
Registered
166 Posts
DiscoDave said:
rtdf, you know there are little clips to hold the 3rd seatbelt back right ?
I clip the belt back in those clips but the buckle slides down to the point where there is that button to stop them sliding further. The plastic buckle then knocks against the plastic side. One one side it is just below, but no the other. or is the idea you put the buckle above the clip?

·
Registered
381 Posts
rtdf said:
DiscoDave said:
rtdf, you know there are little clips to hold the 3rd seatbelt back right ?
I clip the belt back in those clips but the buckle slides down to the point where there is that button to stop them sliding further. The plastic buckle then knocks against the plastic side. One one side it is just below, but no the other. or is the idea you put the buckle above the clip?
Slide the buckle down into the plastic clip as well as the actual seat belt fabric, that way you get no rattles :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
I like mine. Not sure why place names on the sat nav matters, it tells me where I need to go.

I picked up on the discoloz trick with the seatbelt buckle to stop that rattle, which was a huge relief.

The ambient light could be better, but as it was an optional extra, not going to complain or feel ripped off about something I didn't even really want or need.

Transmission feels to have improved greatly with more driving, mpg is what I was hoping for and performance is good (didn't buy a Porsche after all)

I would recommend it.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.