Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought it may help if we came across any bulletins we could share they could be put here, they or course may not be the latest so you should always check.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do not know on that, all I can do is post up what's found and the dealer fix if given. I could ask the SQA guy but they may not tell me and secondly they would get fed up with me asking.

There are a couple of guys on here who work within the JLR organisation, I guess if they could they would let us know.

·
Registered
677 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Thanks for that - but the manual States:
INTELLIGENT STOP/START
The Intelligent stop/start system is designed to improve fuel efficiency and is automatically activated when the ignition is turned on. Unless it is required to support other vehicle systems, the engine will turn off if the vehicle is stopped,for example, at traffic lights. When the brakepedal is released and a drive gear is selected, the engine will restart automatically.
So to my untrained eye, when the handbrake is applied the car is no longer in gear as the handbrake has been applied and the car gears are effectively disengaged.

To activate an automatic engine restart:
Release the brake pedal with Drive (D) orSport (S) selected.
For manual transmissions, neutral must also be selected and the clutchpedal fully released
This is an automatic however - so at this stage I've not selected a gear - the handbrake is on.

Ok it may be that my interpretation is flawed, but at this stage:
The car is stopped and the handbrake has been applied, thereby allowing the footbrake to be released. It's more dangerous to actively hold the car with the footbrake depressed, I've been a good lad and applied the handbrake, just not popped it into PARK yet.

How do other cars operate? Mentioned this at work today to a Beamer driver and he was pretty dismayed.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Sorry - posted in the wrong section.

Crabby said:
Thanks for that - but the manual States:
INTELLIGENT STOP/START
The Intelligent stop/start system is designed to improve fuel efficiency and is automatically activated when the ignition is turned on. Unless it is required to support other vehicle systems, the engine will turn off if the vehicle is stopped,for example, at traffic lights. When the brakepedal is released and a drive gear is selected, the engine will restart automatically.
So to my untrained eye, when the handbrake is applied the car is no longer in gear as the handbrake has been applied and the car gears are effectively disengaged.

To activate an automatic engine restart:
Release the brake pedal with Drive (D) orSport (S) selected.
For manual transmissions, neutral must also be selected and the clutchpedal fully released
This is an automatic however - so at this stage I've not selected a gear - the handbrake is on.

Ok it may be that my interpretation is flawed, but at this stage:
The car is stopped and the handbrake has been applied, thereby allowing the footbrake to be released. It's more dangerous to actively hold the car with the footbrake depressed, I've been a good lad and applied the handbrake, just not popped it into PARK yet.

How do other cars operate? Mentioned this at work today to a Beamer driver and he was pretty dismayed.

·
Registered
76 Posts
L550 Vehicle Hold SSM72181
could be the Hill Start Assist? "Whilst Hill Start Assist ensures you don't roll backwards as you pull away on an incline"

I've only ever driven one other stop/start car (which was a manual, as my DS will be) and the engine restarted once the clutch was pushed down ready to go into 1st. It didnt matter if the handbrake or foot brake was applied, so long as it was in neutral it stopped.

From this line "When the brakepedal is released and a drive gear is selected, the engine will restart automatically." - that sounds the same to me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts