Discovery Sport Forum banner
101 - 120 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi,

Thank you for that, I have piggybacked the dash cam, still not getting power to the camera, it must be the earth, I'm using the glove box screw close to the footwell light, however I don't believe that is giving me an earth point? Any member have a picture of the earth point for a dash cam?

Thank you.

Mike.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I'm using the glove box screw with no issues. When I first did the install there was no power and I eventually chased it down to a faulty cable to the dashcam.

G

·
Dragging up an old thread, but I've got a Nextbase 422GW to wire up next week. I've bought their series 2 hardwire kit (to be on the safe side in case the previous hardwire kit isn't somehow compatible with their latest dash cams).

I want to utilise the parking crash sensor mode, so presumably I connect to a permanent live feed (probably fuse 53 in my19) but what happens if the vehicle is parked up for two weeks or more? Assuming the hardwire kit has some sort of voltage cut off to prevent draining the car battery I could potentially miss an incident a few days after parking up?

Or does the camera have a capacitor built in to deal with parking mode and only records when needed?

There is only one positive cable and one earth cable on the hardwire kit. Presumably a switched live won't work for parking mode ?.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Hardwire kits are the same for the new 2nd gen nextbase cameras.

Top tip.
Update the firmware before using.

G

·
pcheaven said:
Hardwire kits are the same for the new 2nd gen nextbase cameras.

Top tip.
Update the firmware before using.
Thanks, will update for sure

I noted the new series 2 hardwire is a different model n7 bee to the kit for 312/412/512 etc. Probably the same insides, and could have saved myself a tenner, but I thought I'd buy once rather than finding out there was an issue lol!

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Haven't checked the model numbers but we just upgraded our 512 to 522"s using same kit

G

·
Thinkware & Blackvue incorporate a cut off sensor when battery reaches a certain level of discharge, usually around 12.2v

Don't know about the Nextbase but it's unlikely that any will function for 2 weeks before the cut off limit is reached, such is the normal rate of drain on modern cars

·
Registered
567 Posts
PaulCP said:
Thinkware & Blackvue incorporate a cut off sensor when battery reaches a certain level of discharge, usually around 12.2v

Don't know about the Nextbase but it's unlikely that any will function for 2 weeks before the cut off limit is reached, such is the normal rate of drain on modern cars
You'll defo need a separate inline battery pack to make it last like 2 weeks with engine off. See Blackvue website for examples.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

G

·
wardie said:
PaulCP said:

You'll defo need a separate inline battery pack to make it last like 2 weeks with engine off. See Blackvue website for examples.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks.

Picked up the hardwire kit from local Argos today, an hour later it's installed - just need the actual camera to arrive now !

G

·
All done, used fuse 53 and the earth went to the tipper torx30 bolts behind the dash side panel - this also gave plenty of space to tuck the excess cable and the inline box behind the glovebox.

Thanks all for the guides

·
Registered
12 Posts
Has anyone install a concealed dash cam? There are some available which replace the lower cover of the rear view mirror. Dash cam itself is a bit crude, but seems to offer the basics required (overwrite, impact locking, parking mode, etc). You connect to it over WiFi (Android or iOS app) to configure / view and a removable SD Card if you need to save footage. Are they any good?

G

·
Can't answer the query directly , but my Nextbase is pretty discreet and certainly not obvious from outside the vehicle - if anyone is looking to steal dashcams I think they's be looking for any sort of lens/camera.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Installed it myself today (next gen 312). For anyone else who's doing this.

1. It's really easy. Anyone can do it even if you have no DIY experience
2. You may want to place the camera as high up as possible but it actually needs to be down a little so the lens doenst pick up the rear view mirror
3. It's worth spending 99p on a trim removal tool to push the cable into the car trim
4. To reconfirm it's fuse 52 - I've a 2015 model

Thanks to everyone who's documented their experience.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi there, wonder if anyone can aid me. I have a 2017 disco sport hse and have purchased a nextbase 522gw and hardwire kit.

I've encountered an issue with the mini fuse adapter that it does not fit into slot 55 of the glove compartment fusebox. 55 is the passenger 12v which won't get a lot of useage.

I can't force the fuse in so what am I meant to do? As far as I know I've followed the instructions on this thread but it doesn't seem to be an issue for anyone else? What am I doing wrong? Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I've found this in another thread ;

But I've tried putting the fuse adaptor into the slot I want to use (55 - rear passenger cig lighter) but I can't for the life of me get it in. It's tricky and feels like the hole is not big enough, and Nextbase customer support suggest trying to be more firm.

I just need someone who had an easier time with the kit and installation to tell me they pushed super hard and it's all working because otherwise I'm at a loss.

101 - 120 of 126 Posts