Discovery Sport Forum banner

Display text messages on screen. HELP!!

30K views 29 replies 20 participants last post by  RafflesNH 
#1 ·
Not a major issue this, but I have been told by JLR dealer that it is possible for text messages to automatically display on the screen when they come in through a Bluetooth connected phone.
I have tried everything I can think of to make this work and failed miserably.

SIMPLE QUESTION, fellow DS drivers - has anyone been able to get their iPhone 6 running iOS8.2 to show up incoming text messages on the DS screen?

It may be that this has been disabled as a safety thing and if so, that's fine......but I would really like to know it is NOT possible so I can stop trying! :lol:

#2 ·
I've read somewhere that they cannot be displayed on the screen whilst the vehicle is moving but they can be read out. No idea whether it works with iPhone or over Bluetooth as opposed to tethered. I'll try to find where I read aout it.

Edited to say I was wrong the message alert should show when driving and allow the message to be seen but you can't reply unless stationary.

#3 ·
Thanks, Lofi. I just repaired everything, and followed the LR instructions to the letter, enabling notifications, scrolling etc etc. The only thing I can find that is inconsistent is that JLR give instructions for iOS 8.1.1 and the most recent version of iOS is 8.2

Still shouting "HELP"!!

#4 ·
I have a Moto 4G connected by bluetooth and text messages just started to appear as soon as I paired it up.....you cannot read them whilst vehicle is in motion though.... :)

#5 ·
Hi, to get your iphone working.

No need to pair your phone again, simply go to settings-> bluetooth-> select the device, 'I' information to the right of discovery sport in connections then turn show notifications on. Now connect to the discovery sport Bluetooth and get someone to send you a text. This worked perfectly for me. In fact it's the same settings for other Bluetooth hand free kits. Hope that helps. Ps if driving the system will only give you the option to read the message for you. You
Can only view when at a standstill.

Hope that helps.

#6 ·
Stoopid me! It DOES work, but only for conventional text messages. It doesnt work for iMessages on iPhones. I should have guessed!
For anyone else out there with the same issue as I had, sorry - you need to de-select imessages on the in-car phone and/or have the sender only send messages as texts.
Duhhhhhhh!

#7 ·
K2BHM said:
Stoopid me! It DOES work, but only for conventional text messages. It doesnt work for iMessages on iPhones. I should have guessed!
For anyone else out there with the same issue as I had, sorry - you need to de-select imessages on the in-car phone and/or have the sender only send messages as texts.
Duhhhhhhh!
Understandable, but an enormous pain

#10 ·
Not sure about the JLR system but the VW group system does not stores the message on the car, so when you get out and check your message on the phone it's not there.

#14 ·
craiggggg5 said:
I must be going mad, I can't get the messages to come through. I can't find the 'I' button for the messages. Any more help would be appreciated for iphone 5s.
Thanks
On your phone go to Settings>Bluetooth, then click on the i next to Discovery Sport in the My Devices section, on the next screen you should be able to turn on notifications.

#17 ·
Discoloz said:
craiggggg5 said:
On your phone go to Settings>Bluetooth, then click on the i next to Discovery Sport in the My Devices section, on the next screen you should be able to turn on notifications.
Hi I just tried this, and after pressing the " I " on the iphone blue tooth screen, all i get is
FORGET THIS DEVICE
SYNC CONTACTS (ON)
GROUPS
PHONE FAVORITES (TICKED)
PHONE RECENTS (TICKED)

ALL CONTACTS (TICKED)
BLISS EXCEPTIONS (NOT TICKED)

The only thing that I can see is different, is my car is showing as Land Rover, rather than Discovery Sport

#18 ·
Nubmaster I think you have the uprated system as your signature says "Entertainment Pack"??

If so its likely the hard drive based system won't read out your messages, this is the case in my current XF with this OS.

#21 ·
craiggggg5 said:
Thanks, mine is now working. Can see the text when I'm stopped and listen when moving. It would be good to get emails to do the same next????
Glad it worked for you, it would be good to see JLR get CarPlay working on their cars we would have more options then.

#22 ·
Hi all! Just discovered this board and the info here solved my text messaging problem (that iMessage thing...) - thanks! Now that I've turned off iMessage I can see incoming text messages on my display. However, the "Reply" button is inactive so can I cannot reply to messages. Does anyone know how to resolve that problem?

#23 ·
chrisdeben said:
Hi all! Just discovered this board and the info here solved my text messaging problem (that iMessage thing...) - thanks! Now that I've turned off iMessage I can see incoming text messages on my display. However, the "Reply" button is inactive so can I cannot reply to messages. Does anyone know how to resolve that problem?
I seem to have the same problem. Messages show up but the reply button is always greyed out.

#24 ·
chrisdeben said:
Agreed, mine is greyed out too. But not sure when it would ever be useful to have this available! If stopped its quicker to reply on the phone... Slightly annoying perhaps to have it showing at all, suggesting it can be an option, but not one that is available to use!