Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having replaced an eVoque with the Discovery Sport, more or less identical spec/price, here are my thoughts after 1,000 miles...

Negatives:

- Manual seat adjustment is pretty basic, still can't find a particularly comfortable driving position, but overall seats are better for the 'bigger-boned'. Just couldn't justify an extra £2k for electric/full leather. The eVoque SE tech had half electric, no memory, but this option was not available.
- InControl Apps a waste of money - the Apps available are few and pretty useless. Who wants an app that reads the news or looks for parking? (Radio/Sat Nav). Maybe in time there will be better options, but right now, won't use.
- Some plastics used look cheap and nasty... but hey, its a Land Rover. I'm waiting for it to squeak or leak as won't feel right until it does.

... that is it.

Positives:

+ Infotainment system is much better, faster, better voice controls, more configurable
+ Nav system much slicker, particularly with voice controls... "Find Next Petrol Station", "Favourite ABC Hotel"
+ InControl Remote (nothing to do with InControl Apps, this bit is free) really good for tracking business mileage. The App that does same needs the iPhone fired up and stop/start, nowhere near as good as the freebie
+ Speed Sign recognition system - an extra as I am guilty of not concentrating. Like it a lot. Driving much improved.
+ Space - huge boot, more rear seat headroom and space
+ Driving feel - pretty much identical to the eVoque
+ Higher driving position, ride height. Much more accomplished off-road with limited impact on motorway driving.
+ Sliding centre arm rest makes for a relaxed arm position
+ Noise, I actually think it is quieter but I had the glass roof previously (hardly ever used - and hellishly heavy impacting on fuel economy)
+ Already getting 42 mpg (Eco mode) which is 6 mpg better than I ever got from the eVoque (maybe that roof again)
+ Eco mode makes for a relaxed journey, throttle response slowed but after a while you get used to it. Turn off and exactly same performance as eVoque
+ Start/Stop - only annoying when in constant stop/start traffic. Easily turned off but getting used to it
+ Removable tow-bar, despite comments, I like it. Much neater than previous versions, Unseen when not attached. The plastic trim cutting issue mentioned elsewhere can only be seen if you crawl under the car
+ Cubby holes, more of them and more practical than eVoque
+ Folding mirrors, heated mirrors as standard - eVoque had neither
+ Tyre pressure monitoring - useful as I do lots of miles and am pretty lazy at regular checks
+ iPhone connectivity - music/phone both excellent (I use USB)
+ Blackberry work phone on Bluetooth at same time, all synched well and voice commands to dial contacts much better than eVoque
+ Yay! phone volume can be set so it can be heard. Never found a way to set the phone volume on the eVoque, always had to turn it up when a call came in
+ Rear seat flexibility, big loads, extra people etc, really impressive.
+ Sun glasses holder (none on eVoque)
+ Curry bag hook... already used twice. No more curry on seats.

To be fair the eVoque was 2 1/2 years old so I suspect some of the extras are just the passage of time.

Neither:

? Electric tailgate. Really? How hard was it without a motor. Wasted on me, just feels like a delay to opening the boot.
? Puddle lights. I'm sure one day I will think these are great. Right now, an extra that doesn't do anything for me.
? Lane control warning - you'll turn off after 24 hours. It won't wake you if you fall asleep and drift across lanes, so what is it for apart from to annoy everytime you switch lanes/overtake

All told, as pleased as punch. And particularly pleased to have a proper Green Land Rover badge, no chrome/bling RR nonsense. I'm sure those with the HSE etc spec will be even more pleased with their electric / memory / leather seats. :(

·
Registered
86 Posts
electric tailgate is OK if carrying stuff to car if combined with keyless, lane departure does not warn if indicator is on, so I thought that a good thing. Yes, one day you will park in a country lane and like the puddle lights.
If you want a useless feature it must be configerable mood lighting.
I was considering the Evoque because it had more bling :) But I needed the disco space - but not the third row seats. What I really wanted was a Discoque!

·
Registered
100 Posts
The powered tailgate is a positive for me. I've mobility problems and it means not being in pain simply to open/close the boot.
I've never had 'mood' lighting, so may be pleasantly surprised, though it wasn't a buying consideration at all.

·
Registered
677 Posts
First time I've had an electric tailgate. It's nice not to get my hands dirty when opening the tailgate. The most useless feature is the ambient lighting, it's so poor it's not worth mentioning in the brochure.

I didn't go with the apps for that reason, they are rubbish at the moment.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Thanks Willerby, interesting reading. I also compared the DS to my Evoque elsewhere. Most impressed with ride quality, least with hard interior plastics. Might get "Espresso brown" covering for top of dash and doors myself

·
Registered
86 Posts
on the cubby holes, I think that tells us about the design philosophy. The centre console of the Evoque swishes through the car in a "luxury" stylee.
The DS version is the same but without the swooshiness, first look you like the Evoque, then you realise your house keys and wallet fit in that extra cubby and so maybe a bit angular is better for "leisure" use. "Leisure" being LR speak for practicality.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts