Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the settings in the sat nav system enable motorway junction numbers to be shown in UK ? I like my D Sport , but the sat nav is not as good as other vehicles - also there is an annoying seat rattle on passenger side.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Does anyone know whether there are updates for the Satnav, and if so how you apply them?

I would assume there has to be a process in place to do Satnav map updates at the very least, otherwise it will rapidly get more useless than it sounds it is.

Think I'll stick to Google maps..

·
Registered
677 Posts
It's a bit of a pain but just go into WHERE AM I?. It tells you everything.

Haven't actually used my sat nav, I still prefer old school map reading, far more reliable, tells me where I am and has junction numbers and updates only cost a couple of quid each year :lol:

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I agree the place names or lack of is frustrating, but at least you can zoom out to see the more general route, the VW system in the company car only zooms out to a 5ish mile radius, great if you know the villages you are passing through and are willing to follow the directions, no good if you want to see how far to the next junction or town.

·
Registered
265 Posts
The lack of place names is not 'frustrating' it is totally unacceptable and in my opinion makes the sat-nav unfit for purpose. How would any of us react if we bought a map and found there were no place names on it?

Tim

·
Registered
353 Posts
Hi,

I know that quite a few members on this forum have an issue with the sat nav not displaying place names but I don't understand why. I might be missing the point, and I'm not trying to stir this hornets nest again but I have had sat nav for maybe 10 years and could not tell you now which of those stand alone systems, or built in systems displayed place names. When I get in the car I type in the address/postcode and off I go. The system talks to me, I do as it says, occasionally look at it to ensure I'm in the correct lane at junctions etc or when heading for a big roundabout, but never thought about place names. When I'm driving I'm looking at the road, which is why of course a sat nav talks to you, and if I'm interested where I am on my journey in terms of places I read the road signs.

As I say I might be missing the point here. And as I type this I'm just wondering if you can't actually put a place name into the sat nav - as yes that would be stupid. Sometime I might just put in (for example) Cambridge, Anywhere, or City Centre. Now if I can't put in a place name then yes that's stupid - can someone clarify as mines not due until Sept.

So am I missing the point or is there a reason for looking at the sat nav to know which town or village I'm near on my journey, even if I'm still 100 miles away?

Thanks,

Richard

·
Registered
130 Posts
Sorry but I disagree. I use the satnav as a map when I'm travelling and usually see the place names. My Jaguar shows them, the FL2 showed them but the DS doesn't and it is quite annoying. I think there is probably a file missing so shouldn't be a big deal to upgrade.

·
Registered
353 Posts
^^^ but this isn't a show stopper is it. Many people on here think we should boycott LR for ever because sat nav shows no place names. Quite sure an update will be along soon. What's more frustrating is that the sat nav doesn't point out speed cameras! I'm hoping my wife don't see these posts as the disco is for her, and she speeds! :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
It doesn't point out speed camera, or I assume have live traffic.

As has been mentioned on here numerous times already - why don't manufacturers stop reinventing the wheel and parter with e.g. Garmin or TomTom and just fit those in.

I spend 40k on a car yet can get better Satnav for free on my phone with free live traffic and speed camera warnings. Joke.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I don't see the problems with the sat nav either.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Yes, I agree that some people like to blindly follow the instructions given by the sat-nav. Others, me included, use it as a mapping system rather than an atlas. For example I recently travelled from Sarlat in the Dordogne to Geneva; all I wanted from the system was for it to show me a map of the area in which I was travelling. I could then make the decisions on which route i wished to take. The system will not allow it to be used in that manner, previous cars I've owned over the last 10 years; Evoque, RRSport, Jaguar XF, VW Golf, Porsche 997, AM Vantage, to name a few, all showed place names on the system.
My overall opinion of the DS is that generally it is excellent and fulfils my motoring needs extremely well. I've had no real issues apart from a buzz from a speaker and poor DAB reception. Neither of those is a deal breaker as they can be fixed but the sat-nav cannot. I feel LR should either fix the system or re-fund the cost of a system which doesn't fulfil a basic requirement of a mapping system.

Tim

1 - 20 of 101 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.