Discovery Sport Forum banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
The landrover garage your car is currently in will be able to apply for your goodwill Warranty ( I went through my local LR dealership and not the one where the car was bought) they do them all the time and are probably only telling you 20% so if you get anything above 60% you’ll be happy but I wouldn’t accept anything under 100% . This is in the dealerships interest to get you covered too as they’ll get paid for the work from landrover so work with your garage in a positive way to get it over the line.
Thanks Brendan - have just had full report …. Internal fault with engine and needs a new engine - £12k . Thankfully I had all the information collated and ready to discuss and the dealership are going to process everything on my behalf. I have already made it clear to them that I will not be accepting anything less than 100% reimbursement as at 60k was not fit for purpose and I am prepared to (but don’t want to ) seek legal advice to secure this. I really appreciate all your input and support

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks Brendan - have just had full report …. Internal fault with engine and needs a new engine - £12k . Thankfully I had all the information collated and ready to discuss and the dealership are going to process everything on my behalf. I have already made it clear to them that I will not be accepting anything less than 100% reimbursement as at 60k was not fit for purpose and I am prepared to (but don’t want to ) seek legal advice to secure this. I really appreciate all your input and support
How did you get on with this ? I'm in same boat and been offered 40% :(

·
Registered
5 Posts
Have they said what LR official line is on timing chains for Discovery Sports? i.e. do Land Rover say if the car is serviced regularly then the timing chain should last the lifetime of the car? or do they advise it should be changed at a particular interval? If it is the former, then seems like an issue LR should cover?

·
Registered
8 Posts
How did you get on with this ? I'm in same boat and been offered 40% :(
Hi - so this happened on May 25th and I’ve been back and forth between dealership and JLR since and yes no car for over a month!! Have been informed today that JLR are willing to pay 70% .I’ve had legal advice and been informed that this is not a warranty issue which but if it is a known manufacturer fault then they are responsible under Consumer rights Act for 6 years . I’ve been told that the work will be close to £13k so that means I still have to pay out almost £4K for something that I do not see as being my fault and I have told the dealership I’m not willing to accept it …. Wondering if anyone else has refused the initial goodwill gesture and what the outcome/timeline was?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi all, car broke down over month ago and has been in LR dealership since and I’ve been informed that I need a new engine at cost of £13k!! JLR have today offered 70% goodwill gesture but I feel aggrieved having to pay out almost £4K for something that I feel is a known manufacturer fault . Interested to hear if other have refused the initial good will gesture from JLR and what the outcome/timeline was please

·
Registered
8 Posts
With no warning the timing chain failed 2 months ago resulting in catastrophic engine failure and the need for a replacement engine at a cost of £10,500. JLR have offered a goodwill gesture of 50% of the cost.

I have no option but to get the engine replaced but at that mileage I do not think the JLR offer is fair and am trying to pursue it further.
I would be very interested to know if anyone has any LR literature confirming or suggesting that the timing chain should last much longer than this (the life of the engine?) and indeed that the Ingenium engine should last loner.

Equally I would like to know if there is evidence JLR know of this problem and whether anyone else has secured a better offer.

To my mind, no one in their right mind would buy a car of this cost if there was any suggestion the chain could fail WITHOUT warning leading to a repair bill over £10k, through no fault of their own, after just 51,000 miles.

Any help or advice anyone can give me would be greatly recevied.

Thanks.
Hi - interested to know the outcome of this please? I’m a similar situation and been offered 70% but do not want to accept ….

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello all, I have news! Having got nowhere further with JLR (max 50% contribution) and nowhere at all with the dealer (zero contribution) I took the dealership to The Motor Ombudsman claiming the car was not fit for purpose under the Consumer Rights Act.
After 9 long months TMO found fully in my favour. Dealership first appealed it, I got a further independent expert to confirm that their grounds for appeal were nonsense and TMO again found fully in my favour and told dealership to pay plus my costs. The dealership has now accepted this and paid in full. Thus I got the new engine fully refunded, part by JLR and part by the dealership.
To be honest I think the dealership was a little unlucky. I think JLR should have paid it all (they made the car) but I could take the dealership to TMO as my contract was with them, not JLR.
JLR were awful throughout even after I wrote directly to their Director responsible for Quality and Customer Satisfaction and also the Chief Exec, neither of whom would reply unsurprisingly.
The lesson is, don't give up!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello all, I have news! Having got nowhere further with JLR (max 50% contribution) and nowhere at all with the dealer (zero contribution) I took the dealership to The Motor Ombudsman claiming the car was not fit for purpose under the Consumer Rights Act.
After 9 long months TMO found fully in my favour. Dealership first appealed it, I got a further independent expert to confirm that their grounds for appeal were nonsense and TMO again found fully in my favour and told dealership to pay plus my costs. The dealership has now accepted this and paid in full. Thus I got the new engine fully refunded, part by JLR and part by the dealership.
To be honest I think the dealership was a little unlucky. I think JLR should have paid it all (they made the car) but I could take the dealership to TMO as my contract was with them, not JLR.
JLR were awful throughout even after I wrote directly to their Director responsible for Quality and Customer Satisfaction and also the Chief Exec, neither of whom would reply unsurprisingly.
The lesson is, don't give up!
Brilliant and so pleased for this precedent for others. How old was your car?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Brilliant and so pleased for this precedent for others. How old was your car?
It was 5 years old so out of warranty but my argument was that it had only done 50,000 miles and so there is no way it should have had a failed engine. Under the Consumer Rights Act goods should be fit for purpose and that includes durability ad the purchase price is directly relevant to that. So, a buyer of an expensive car has a right to expect that the goods will last more than 50,000 miles.
I also provided a lot of evidence to show that JLR sold the car on the back of the strength of the engine and that a reasonable person would have an expectation that a timing chain and engine should last longer.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts