Discovery Sport Forum banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Paul, thank you.
Why weren't owners made aware, to carry out much shorter oil changes such as at 7,000 or 10,000 miles? That would have substantially mitigated wear to the timing chain. That is the question that requires an answer.
Once again many thanks.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I think you might have misinterpreted my post, When I said “press start button with foot off the brake pedal“ what I meant was this will give you access to service & adblue information via the menu buttons on the steering wheel that you cannot see if the engine is running, by press menu scroll down to vehicle information & then select ‘Next service’.
I also said the service countdown usually starts off at approx 19500 miles untill next service but by the time I have completed actual driving miles of 7000 the countdown on the display is telling me ‘oil service due in the next 1500 - 1000 miles, hence you need to keep your eye on the menu screen if you want prior warning before it reaches 1500 miles to next service, when at that point it will display the warning on start up for a few seconds. (easily missed if you’re not looking at the dash on start up!)
The 21000 mile service interval is total baloney as far as oil changes are concerned & nothing has really changed even with current diesel models, for much more information on this subject type in Service interval in the search feature at the top of this page. ( before doing this make a large drink & get comfortable as there are 3310 posts on this subject that go all the way back to 2016) It does look as if the warnings from back then especially in 2017 are coming true due to inexcusable negligent engineering that causes unacceptable oil dilution.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think you might have misinterpreted my post, When I said “press start button with foot off the brake pedal“ what I meant was this will give you access to service & adblue information via the menu buttons on the steering wheel that you cannot see if the engine is running, by press menu scroll down to vehicle information & then select ‘Next service’.
I also said the service countdown usually starts off at approx 19500 miles untill next service but by the time I have completed actual driving miles of 7000 the countdown on the display is telling me ‘oil service due in the next 1500 - 1000 miles, hence you need to keep your eye on the menu screen if you want prior warning before it reaches 1500 miles to next service, when at that point it will display the warning on start up for a few seconds. (easily missed if you’re not looking at the dash on start up!)
The 21000 mile service interval is total baloney as far as oil changes are concerned & nothing has really changed even with current diesel models, for much more information on this subject type in Service interval in the search feature at the top of this page. ( before doing this make a large drink & get comfortable as there are 3310 posts on this subject that go all the way back to 2016) It does look as if the warnings from back then especially in 2017 are coming true due to inexcusable negligent engineering that causes unacceptable oil dilution.
Thanks and I'll get a large teapot out.

·
Registered
496 Posts
The early 2.0 ingenium engines had an advertised service interval of 21,000 miles if and only if you had a driving style that suited a 21,000 mile service interval. No one can tell you what this style entails, but the dealers can tell you that your driving style is "at fault". Now for the serious stuff, the early cars dumped fuel into the engine oil as a result of DPF regenerations, failed or otherwise. LR at some point added a software estimation of oil dilution that at 6% said you needed an oil change, this was later changed to 10%, you have to remember that this is an estimation the car cannot measure oil dilution, the software was applied somewhat randomly depending on the quality of the dealership that you were using and there were quite a few versions of the software update. In my opinion 6% fuel in oil makes a mockery of the very high specification of the oil that these cars require, so 10% :mad: :mad: :mad:
Anyway 3/4 of my driving is motorway and I manage around 25,000 miles a year, the oil level in our 2016 DS180 rose by over 6mm in less than 10,000 miles and this was fairly constant for 40,000 miles = oil changes every 10,000 miles. I can imagine that someone with a more typical (Not LR approved) driving style would need an oil change in half that - which i believe is the problem, the timing chain needs good quality oil to survive. Diluted oil = dead timing chains, yes the rest of the bearings will suffer, but a slightly noisy camshaft is not catastrophic, chains don't warn you and when they fail it is usually catastrophic.

I am old enough to remember when you had to check oil and water every weekend - still do, keeping an eye on the oil level (photograph it) and noticing it going up, then changing the oil and filter to suit should give you piece of mind and a long lived engine. As a side note my current DS240 uses oil, about a litre every 5,000 miles - and I still change the oil every 10,000 miles.

Reactions: Saemelie

·
Registered
496 Posts
Just trying to be helpful. Yes LR said in print 21,000 miles and in a fair world would be held responsible. It's not a fair world. Changing the oil early isn't a guarantee that nothing bad will happen but in my opinion it's cheaper than a new engine and worth the gamble.

·
Registered
5 Posts
How did you get on with this? We find ourselves in a very similar position.
We'd love to know too. Ours is repaired (a mere £5k with a 1 year warranty) but now broken down again - but at least hopefully they can sort it a second time - when our Disco has decided - a month later - to bring itself back from its skiing holiday in France..... sounds like it will be worth us trying to recoup something from JLR.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Presumably the difference there is you have an extended warranty. Mine is out of warranty and JLR are refusing to pay more than 50%.
I am now waiting for the ombudsman to give his decision on my case against the dealership. Unfortunately I seem to have no recourse against JLR itself other than to try and shame them through social media.
Please do update us too! Good Luck. Our garage told us to give the evidence that the parts that broke are different from all the ones JLR supply is return- which proves its their design issue- they know they had to do this after 2018. Use this as evidence - our garage offered this to us. (a non JLR garage). We've not got around to doing this yet as the car is still skiing on the slopes of France...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi had the same happen to my 2015 at 72000, was first told not covered under extended warranty but after letting JLR know that trading standards was the next email that would be sent they agreed to cover all costs with in 1 hour also paid for hire car for the 5 days it took them to complete the work requried.
was your car out of the extended warranty period then?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi All. New to the forum and desperate for some advice... Have a 2016 DS , Purchased Stratstone, Nottingham . Had 2 services 20k and 40k, both main dealer. Last Charles Hurst Belfast. Now 49k. Out of warranty 1 year. Got oil warning , critically low. Checked oil, overfull? Called AA, advised not to drive, had it relayed back to Main Dealer in Dublin. (Car now registered in Ireland.) Have advised timing belt is stretched, found metal in the oil which was 3 litres over full? I am assuming this is the dilution issue discussed on the forum as I have never put any in and my wife definitely has not! Anyway... they say it requires a new engine. Having read numerous horror stories I am unsure of the best thing to do. LR Ireland are clearly not interested so I will probably need to get it to a UK dealer. With a full LR history, should this type of catastrophic failure not be covered, and what is the best way to advance what I envisage will be a painful process.? Any views gratefully accepted.
Hi All. New to the forum and desperate for some advice... Have a 2016 DS , Purchased Stratstone, Nottingham . Had 2 services 20k and 40k, both main dealer. Last Charles Hurst Belfast. Now 49k. Out of warranty 1 year. Got oil warning , critically low. Checked oil, overfull? Called AA, advised not to drive, had it relayed back to Main Dealer in Dublin. (Car now registered in Ireland.) Have advised timing belt is stretched, found metal in the oil which was 3 litres over full? I am assuming this is the dilution issue discussed on the forum as I have never put any in and my wife definitely has not! Anyway... they say it requires a new engine. Having read numerous horror stories I am unsure of the best thing to do. LR Ireland are clearly not interested so I will probably need to get it to a UK dealer. With a full LR history, should this type of catastrophic failure not be covered, and what is the best way to advance what I envisage will be a painful process.? Any views gratefully accepted.
Hi. I’m also in a similar situation. Landrover discovery sport 2017 timing chain gone after 61,000 miles..! How did you resolve your issue. Any advice greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi. I’m also in a similar situation. Landrover discovery sport 2017 timing chain gone after 61,000 miles..! How did you resolve your issue. Any advice greatly appreciated.
Hi both - I am also in the same situation - bought car in UK in 2018 & have since moved back to Ireland so registered here now. Timing chain has just gone today and have been too £2.5k to replace …. On 60,000miles done . Did either of you have any luck/updates?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi both - I am also in the same situation - bought car in UK in 2018 & have since moved back to Ireland so registered here now. Timing chain has just gone today and have been too £2.5k to replace …. On 60,000miles done . Did either of you have any luck/updates?
Hi I had success. Went through my landrover dealership who were very helpful applying for the goodwill guarantee.
I had my yearly service history with landrover I Dono if this helped.
your were lucky if your chain just broke without any engine damage.?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi I had success. Went through my landrover dealership who were very helpful applying for the goodwill guarantee.
I had my yearly service history with landrover I Dono if this helped.
your were lucky if your chain just broke without any engine damage.?
Thank you for getting back to me . I won’t know the damage until tomorrow - car is currently in Charles Hurst in Belfast but have been told today by them re timing chain and someone else let me know re ongoing issues etc so just trying to collate all the information before I go there again tomorrow. They didn’t mention anything about this being an ongoing problem with Discovery Sport model. Did your dealership inform you re the process etc? My car was bought in uk and the dealership has now since closed

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you for getting back to me . I won’t know the damage until tomorrow - car is currently in Charles Hurst in Belfast but have been told today by them re timing chain and someone else let me know re ongoing issues etc so just trying to collate all the information before I go there again tomorrow. They didn’t mention anything about this being an ongoing problem with Discovery Sport model. Did your dealership inform you re the process etc? My car was bought in uk and the dealership has now since closed
You need to get the past service history somehow to help your case. Don’t expect any favours this will be on you. What year is it.? Seems to be a ongoing issue. They will probably do a pressure test on engine/head to see if there’s engine damage.
once you’ve everything make sure they apply for a goodWill warranty.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You need to get the past service history somehow to help your case. Don’t expect any favours this will be on you. What year is it.? Seems to be a ongoing issue. They will probably do a pressure test on engine/head to see if there’s engine damage.
once you’ve everything make sure they apply for a goodWill warranty.
Thank you - it’s 2017 and has 60,000 miles.it was an ex demo model and they pulled up the service history on the computer while I was there so they have access to that info.She mentioned something about goodwill but nothing about the ongoing issues with timing chains and said about a possibility of 20% but with all the info on here I now think I won’t be accepting that!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you - it’s 2017 and has 60,000 miles.it was an ex demo model and they pulled up the service history on the computer while I was there so they have access to that info.She mentioned something about goodwill but nothing about the ongoing issues with timing chains and said about a possibility of 20% but with all the info on here I now think I won’t be accepting that!
Landrover only designed this new Ingenium engine in 2016 and it’s not uncommon to have teething issues as a engine is a complicated piece of kit so they’ll want to resolve the issue too without issuing mass recall. So unless you never changed the oil or it’s got 200,000 miles on the clock this isn’t your fault and there obliged to resolve the issue for you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Landrover only designed this new Ingenium engine in 2016 and it’s not uncommon to have teething issues as a engine is a complicated piece of kit so they’ll want to resolve the issue too without issuing mass recall. So unless you never changed the oil or it’s got 200,000 miles on the clock this isn’t your fault and there obliged to resolve the issue for you.
Thank you for getting back to me Brendan - I can’t believe the number of these cases I’ve managed to find in a few hours and can’t believe the dealership didn’t mention any of this at all! Services were done in Landrover so they have a record of everything that was/wasn’t done etc and 60,000miles is not/ should not be the life span of a timing belt from what I’ve read. I’m sorry for all the qs but how did you instigate getting LR to pay for the work or did dealership do it on your behalf? My issue is I bought car in UK and I found out yday that dealership has since closed and my car is currently in garage in Northern Ire

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you for getting back to me Brendan - I can’t believe the number of these cases I’ve managed to find in a few hours and can’t believe the dealership didn’t mention any of this at all! Services were done in Landrover so they have a record of everything that was/wasn’t done etc and 60,000miles is not/ should not be the life span of a timing belt from what I’ve read. I’m sorry for all the qs but how did you instigate getting LR to pay for the work or did dealership do it on your behalf? My issue is I bought car in UK and I found out yday that dealership has since closed and my car is currently in garage in Northern Ire
The landrover garage your car is currently in will be able to apply for your goodwill Warranty ( I went through my local LR dealership and not the one where the car was bought) they do them all the time and are probably only telling you 20% so if you get anything above 60% you’ll be happy but I wouldn’t accept anything under 100% . This is in the dealerships interest to get you covered too as they’ll get paid for the work from landrover so work with your garage in a positive way to get it over the line.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts