Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All. New to the forum and desperate for some advice... Have a 2016 DS , Purchased Stratstone, Nottingham . Had 2 services 20k and 40k, both main dealer. Last Charles Hurst Belfast. Now 49k. Out of warranty 1 year. Got oil warning , critically low. Checked oil, overfull? Called AA, advised not to drive, had it relayed back to Main Dealer in Dublin. (Car now registered in Ireland.) Have advised timing belt is stretched, found metal in the oil which was 3 litres over full? I am assuming this is the dilution issue discussed on the forum as I have never put any in and my wife definitely has not! Anyway... they say it requires a new engine. Having read numerous horror stories I am unsure of the best thing to do. LR Ireland are clearly not interested so I will probably need to get it to a UK dealer. With a full LR history, should this type of catastrophic failure not be covered, and what is the best way to advance what I envisage will be a painful process.? Any views gratefully accepted.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Your contract is with Stratstonne Nottingham. Unless you financed the vehicle, in which case your contracts is with the finance company.

You will need to make contact with them, with a view to rejecting the vehicle under the Consumer Rights Act (assuming that it applies where you live), as "not fit for purpose"

It will be helpful for you to take full legal advice in regards to this matter.

Good luck.

·
Registered
405 Posts
As above, you certainly need legal advice.
As I understand it, and as SarahStreet says this failure is in clear breach of the consumer rights act as you operated the vehicle in accordance with manufacturer's instructions and it has not lasted in what would be considered a reasonable amount of time.
As it was purchased in the UK, you have to deal with UK law, hence, there isn't much the Dublin dealers can do.. except ..
I'd speak to JLR in the UK. This is not an unknown issue and they know in all likelihood, they're going to be legally liable. I'd actually be quite surprised if they don't already have a procedure on file for dealing with this particular issue. I'd be very surprised if they even attempt to play hardball. Afaik, there is even a technical bulletin out there for it.

I think i'd approach them and suggest rather than them incurring the additional costs of transporting the vehicle to the UK for inspection when the outcome is going to be the same, as the car is already at an approved dealership, maybe they'd like to deal with them directly?
I'd also maybe speak to Stratstone in Nottingham and have a similar conversation. You may find the service manager quite helpful, though as I don't know them, that's a lottery. I have heard horror stories but speaking personally, when I've had goodwill issues with car manufacturers, I've found the service manager to be very helpful and pro-active. The Mercedes one I dealt with actually knew the names of the decision makers and rang them directly on my behalf.
Ultimately this is going to be a goodwill claim against JLR. You'll probably have to pay some wear and tear costs, maybe 20% but I'd expect, based on similar issues with JLR and other manufacturers, they'll be picking up the other 80%.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Guys, Thanks so much for the advice. I'm guessing rejecting the vehicle is a lengthy process & legal wrangle. I would be happy with just having it properly repaired. I did get to speak to the service manager in Belfast where it was last serviced . He was helpful, though reluctant to give figures until they had assessed it, but suggested typically 50 to 60% would be the possible contribution from JLR. I would still need to relay it up there. I guess the 80% suggested sounds more realistic. Though when you factor in the inconvenience & other costs incurred to date, it breaks my heart to give them a penny.... Stratstone is next on the list. Thanks again.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The car has been overfilled with oil. It's all going to get a bit Punch and Judy with the servicing garage denying its them as you do. Personally, I can't see LR accepting any liability or offering a goodwill gesture in or out of warranty.

·
Registered
119 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
With no warning the timing chain failed 2 months ago resulting in catastrophic engine failure and the need for a replacement engine at a cost of £10,500. JLR have offered a goodwill gesture of 50% of the cost.

I have no option but to get the engine replaced but at that mileage I do not think the JLR offer is fair and am trying to pursue it further.
I would be very interested to know if anyone has any LR literature confirming or suggesting that the timing chain should last much longer than this (the life of the engine?) and indeed that the Ingenium engine should last loner.

Equally I would like to know if there is evidence JLR know of this problem and whether anyone else has secured a better offer.

To my mind, no one in their right mind would buy a car of this cost if there was any suggestion the chain could fail WITHOUT warning leading to a repair bill over £10k, through no fault of their own, after just 51,000 miles.

Any help or advice anyone can give me would be greatly recevied.

Thanks.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I think you need to take some advice; do you have legal cover with your home insurance? Often there’s a free service where they will give you advice over the phone and if there’s more more than a 50% of chance of winning then they will take on your case.

You won’t find any literature to state that an engine lasts X number of miles and it will boil down to whether the length of time that the engine has lasted is ‘reasonable’ as that is what the Consumer Rights Act says should be the case.

All cars suffer failures and problems unfortunately, it’s why warranties exist.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I can offer no advice only to say that having experienced the same on my 2017 MY i feel your pain.

I only got 40% plus they found a stuffed turbo to add to my huge bill.

It has now only done 7k miles and needs an oil change due to oil dilution and they say that is normal!!

Repair and sell if I were you.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Glad to hear I’m not the only one this has happened to. Mine was at 110000km and costed me $17.5k AUD. JLR Aus didn’t give any assistance and I had to pay all out of pocket. They stated I had no service history as I did most of my services outside of JLR service centres.

·
Registered
1 Posts
With no warning the timing chain failed 2 months ago resulting in catastrophic engine failure and the need for a replacement engine at a cost of £10,500. JLR have offered a goodwill gesture of 50% of the cost.

I have no option but to get the engine replaced but at that mileage I do not think the JLR offer is fair and am trying to pursue it further.
I would be very interested to know if anyone has any LR literature confirming or suggesting that the timing chain should last much longer than this (the life of the engine?) and indeed that the Ingenium engine should last loner.

Equally I would like to know if there is evidence JLR know of this problem and whether anyone else has secured a better offer.

To my mind, no one in their right mind would buy a car of this cost if there was any suggestion the chain could fail WITHOUT warning leading to a repair bill over £10k, through no fault of their own, after just 51,000 miles.

Any help or advice anyone can give me would be greatly recevied.

Thanks.
Hi had the same happen to my 2015 at 72000, was first told not covered under extended warranty but after letting JLR know that trading standards was the next email that would be sent they agreed to cover all costs with in 1 hour also paid for hire car for the 5 days it took them to complete the work requried.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi had the same happen to my 2015 at 72000, was first told not covered under extended warranty but after letting JLR know that trading standards was the next email that would be sent they agreed to cover all costs with in 1 hour also paid for hire car for the 5 days it took them to complete the work requried.
Presumably the difference there is you have an extended warranty. Mine is out of warranty and JLR are refusing to pay more than 50%.
I am now waiting for the ombudsman to give his decision on my case against the dealership. Unfortunately I seem to have no recourse against JLR itself other than to try and shame them through social media.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Presumably the difference there is you have an extended warranty. Mine is out of warranty and JLR are refusing to pay more than 50%.
I am now waiting for the ombudsman to give his decision on my case against the dealership. Unfortunately I seem to have no recourse against JLR itself other than to try and shame them through social media.
How did you get on with this? We find ourselves in a very similar position.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sad to see how many people are struggling with timing chain faults!

If anyone needs timing chains replacing at a cheaper rate then give me a shout. I only use Genuine parts, work is carried out in a JLR workshop and I’m a JLR Senior Technician based in South London! :)

Here if you all if you need it!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I would like to ask you a simple question in a moment. Ingenium 2.0 Diesel powertrain. Timing chain vs oil dilution. LR stipulate an oil change every 20k miles or thereabouts. If the oil change intervals were every 10,000 miles especially on vehicles doing short journeys, would that mitigate the oil dilution issue? Many thanks for your help.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Even10,000 miles could be too long, 7000 is probably the max before mine asks for an oil change, haven’t had to pay for one yet as 2016/17MY cars get free goodwill oil services up to 55,000 miles.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sad to see how many people are struggling with timing chain faults!

If anyone needs timing chains replacing at a cheaper rate then give me a shout. I only use Genuine parts, work is carried out in a JLR workshop and I’m a JLR Senior Technician based in South London! :)

Here if you all if you need it!
I would like to ask you a simple question in a moment. Ingenium 2.0 Diesel powertrain. Timing chain vs oil dilution. LR stipulate an oil change every 20k miles or thereabouts. If the oil change intervals were every 10,000 miles especially on vehicles doing short journeys, would that mitigate the oil dilution issue? Many thanks for your help

·
Registered
12 Posts
Even10,000 miles could be too long, 7000 is probably the max before mine asks for an oil change, haven’t had to pay for one yet as 2016/17MY cars get free goodwill oil services up to 55,000 miles.
Hi Paul. Thanks for your reply. How does your vehicle tell you that it requires an oil change, and how old is your vehicle, in months and years, and model? Thanks

·
Registered
344 Posts
My DS is a 2017MY registered in October 2016, the display between the dials shows countdown to oil service as per photo below. After service reset is carried out it usually says approx 19500miles but by the
time the car has actually covered approx 7000miles it’s showing oil service required in 1000 miles, My DS has always shown this since new as far as I can remember. You can only see this information when the ignition is on but the engine is OFF. (Press the start button with foot off the brake)
Speedometer Gauge Font Personal luxury car Circle

Reactions: Saemelie
1 - 20 of 50 Posts